THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Retrofit iDrive 5.0 & Apple Carplay?

06-13-2016, 04:36 PM   #1
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 AW M340xi

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Retrofit iDrive 5.0 & Apple Carplay?

I know its early in the game considering these both just got announced. I wanted to start a thread regarding retrofitting iDrive 5.0 and Apple Carplay, as these are definitely things I would love to have, if at all possible.

FYI - I have a prod date 10/15 MY 2016 M235xi w/ Tech Package

From what I have read so far, its my understanding that all 2017 2er Models will come standard with iDrive 5.0 (if ordering the tech or nav), and Carplay being an addon for $300. It is also explicitly noted that in order to have Carplay, you will also need to have the Tech/Navigation option.

That said, they charge(d) people $350 for the Enhanced Bluetooth option, when in reality it's a simple coding procedure (did it today actually). I am hoping that the Carplay update will not be contingent on having iDrive 5.0 (shouldn't be but might), and if not, whether it will be an easy addition.

Regarding iDrive 5.0, it looks as though higher models will include a touchscreen, but the 2er will still utilize the iDrive controller for input. I saw that they changed some of the button names on the iDrive controller (Map replaces Nav, etc.), but the mapping looks the same so it shouldn't affect a retrofit. I have to assume that upgrading to iDrive 5.0 would require a dealer trip to upgrade the firmware (if this is something they would even entertain).

Again, I know its too early on to tell without the new models even being produced with these options yet, but I wanted to get the conversation going for when updates come.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 05:31 PM   #2
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbalch View Post
I am hoping that the Carplay update will not be contingent on having iDrive 5.0 (shouldn't be but might), and if not, whether it will be an easy addition.
I would say that iDrive 5.0 would most likely be an absolute requirement. It represents a new full version of the software that's basically our cars' OS. Anything before 5.0 likely doesn't have CarPlay encoding present at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 05:45 PM   #3
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike
Quote:
I am hoping that the Carplay update will not be contingent on having iDrive 5.0 (shouldn't be but might), and if not, whether it will be an easy addition.
I would say that iDrive 5.0 would most likely be an absolute requirement. It represents a new full version of the software that's basically our cars' OS. Anything before 5.0 likely doesn't have CarPlay encoding present at all.
Thats my assumption as well. Honestly, I care more for iDrive 5.0 than Carplay so my ideal path would be to see if iDrive can be retrofit first.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 01:28 PM   #4
murderwasthebass
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Coupe, M Sport, 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
I know its early in the game considering these both just got announced. I wanted to start a thread regarding retrofitting iDrive 5.0 and Apple Carplay, as these are definitely things I would love to have, if at all possible.

From what I have read so far, its my understanding that all 2017 2er Models will come standard with iDrive 5.0 (if ordering the tech or nav), and Carplay being an addon for $300. It is also explicitly noted that in order to have Carplay, you will also need to have the Tech/Navigation option.

That said, they charge(d) people $350 for the Enhanced Bluetooth option, when in reality it's a simple coding procedure (did it today actually). I am hoping that the Carplay update will not be contingent on having iDrive 5.0 (shouldn't be but might), and if not, whether it will be an easy addition.

Regarding iDrive 5.0, it looks as though higher models will include a touchscreen, but the 2er will still utilize the iDrive controller for input. I saw that they changed some of the button names on the iDrive controller (Map replaces Nav, etc.), but the mapping looks the same so it shouldn't affect a retrofit. I have to assume that upgrading to iDrive 5.0 would require a dealer trip to upgrade the firmware (if this is something they would even entertain).

Again, I know its too early on to tell without the new models even being produced with these options yet, but I wanted to get the conversation going for when updates come.
CarPlay will require iDrive 5.0 and this new iDrive will most likely not be retrofittable.
      06-20-2016, 06:50 PM   #5
stealthwang
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i Estoril Blue

What makes you think you wont be able to retrofit it?

A little knowledge along with enough time and money and you can retrofit pretty much anything. Of course some security features will likely need to be circumvented, which may take some time, but that's nothing different from the current iDrive system.
Appreciate 2
      06-20-2016, 08:19 PM   #6
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by murderwasthebass
Quote:

CarPlay will require iDrive 5.0 and this new iDrive will most likely not be retrofittable.
Who is your source that told you you need the new idrive for carplay?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 11:08 PM   #7
stealthwang
Private
Rep

My intuition from working in the tech industry is it's likely that Carplay will require the new iDrive. processing power, storage, coding compatibility, etc.

The current iDrive wasn't built with Carplay support in mind. I'd be shocked if it was possible to run it on the outdated hardware.

Still think you'll be able to retrofit, just as long as you're willing to hack the new hardware into your car.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 09:42 AM   #8
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthwang View Post
Still think you'll be able to retrofit, just as long as you're willing to hack the new hardware into your car.
What new hardware?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 08:37 AM   #9
stealthwang
Private
Rep

full 2017 Series Nav / Entertainment unit.

doing this upgrade means you'll have to wait until these parts filter into the aftermarket. it'll be a while considering it's not even shipping in cars yet.

Last edited by stealthwang; 06-27-2016 at 08:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 05:01 PM   #10
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:

doing this upgrade means you'll have to wait until these parts filter into the aftermarket. it'll be a while considering it's not even shipping in cars yet.
Not sure this is correct. The indications are it's the same NBT EVO hardware wise with higher res screen and controller.
It's entirely possible only firmware and coding changes are needed to run iDrive 5.0 on MY16 2-series, rather than replacing hardware.
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2016, 06:16 PM   #11
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster
Quote:

Not sure this is correct. The indications are it's the same NBT EVO hardware wise with higher res screen and controller.
It's entirely possible only firmware and coding changes are needed to run iDrive 5.0 on MY16 2-series, rather than replacing hardware.
This is kind of what I'm thinking as well...no point in making totally new hardware. Hell even Ford is retrofitting Carplay into their older models so I have to assume it's just a firmware update.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 10:30 AM   #12
stealthwang
Private
Rep

here's hoping. i'll plan a retrofit as soon people start reporting success.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 05:28 PM   #13
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is kind of what I'm thinking as well...no point in making totally new hardware. Hell even Ford is retrofitting Carplay into their older models so I have to assume it's just a firmware update.
But is Ford retrofitting it because the hardware that could handle it existed in those older models already? I assume so ...

On the M2 forum in the equivalent subforum, multiple BMW sources have said that CarPlay will not be offered as a retrofit for models prior to MY2017. The very first MY2017 M2s, in fact -- the ones built in July -- apparently won't have iDrive 5.0 because of a hardware shortage -- probably the same one that prevented late MY2016 2 Series cars from being ordered with Navigation.

That tells me that the issue is hardware-related. See this thread for details.

Sorry for the bad news ... but retrofitting iDrive 5.0 and CarPlay won't be cheap, and it won't be BMW-endorsed.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 08:14 PM   #14
Gabrola
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
But is Ford retrofitting it because the hardware that could handle it existed in those older models already? I assume so ...

On the M2 forum in the equivalent subforum, multiple BMW sources have said that CarPlay will not be offered as a retrofit for models prior to MY2017. The very first MY2017 M2s, in fact -- the ones built in July -- apparently won't have iDrive 5.0 because of a hardware shortage -- probably the same one that prevented late MY2016 2 Series cars from being ordered with Navigation.

That tells me that the issue is hardware-related. See this thread for details.

Sorry for the bad news ... but retrofitting iDrive 5.0 and CarPlay won't be cheap, and it won't be BMW-endorsed.
If there was a hardware supplier issue affecting both late MY2016, which from what I've read was for the Pro Navigation (NBT EVO with 8.8" screen), and the early MY2017, then that points towards that the NBT EVO will be running CarPlay.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 09:03 AM   #15
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrola View Post
If there was a hardware supplier issue affecting both late MY2016, which from what I've read was for the Pro Navigation (NBT EVO with 8.8" screen), and the early MY2017, then that points towards that the NBT EVO will be running CarPlay.
Correct. But that BMW prioritized remaining stock for July-build MY2017 M2s -- which have Nav Pro and the Technology Package standard -- over late-MY2016 2 Series cars tells me that it wanted to use remaining hardware stock for higher-demand cars during that time. That means the new stock will have differences, and that it's almost certainly not software only.

Whether that hardware is the NBT EVO unit, the iDrive controller, of some other iDrive-related hardware, we don't know yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 12:29 PM   #16
MichalM240i
First Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: M8

Are you guys really thinking that 2017 will come with CarPlay? I can't see BMW on Apple page where they advertise all manufacturers with their systems... I'm now trying to fic my 2017 maybe M240i and since today is this day available - but no CarPlay...
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 12:36 PM   #17
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePulpan
Are you guys really thinking that 2017 will come with CarPlay? I can't see BMW on Apple page where they advertise all manufacturers with their systems... I'm now trying to fic my 2017 maybe M240i and since today is this day available - but no CarPlay...
In the 2017 pricing guide it shows carplay being available on all August builds (for a $300 fee)
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 01:25 PM   #18
MichalM240i
First Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbalch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePulpan
In the 2017 pricing guide it shows carplay being available on all August builds (for a $300 fee)
Trying to find it in german and czech builder, but no CarPlay. Will see in future...
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 11:18 PM   #19
Gabrola
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Correct. But that BMW prioritized remaining stock for July-build MY2017 M2s -- which have Nav Pro and the Technology Package standard -- over late-MY2016 2 Series cars tells me that it wanted to use remaining hardware stock for higher-demand cars during that time. That means the new stock will have differences, and that it's almost certainly not software only.

Whether that hardware is the NBT EVO unit, the iDrive controller, of some other iDrive-related hardware, we don't know yet.
I just confirmed from a post on bimmerfest that iDrive 5.0 in the G-series has the exact same NBT EVO and some people have already flashed it with the new software.

Last edited by Gabrola; 07-05-2016 at 11:27 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2016, 02:45 AM   #20
siwo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i RWD 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrola View Post
I just confirmed from a post on bimmerfest that iDrive 5.0 in the G-series has the exact same NBT EVO and some people have already flashed it with the new software.

Next step is for us to get a hold of a 2017 vin and try to DL & flash!
2004 Civic Coupe Si(EX) 5MT - Retired
1993 Civic Coupe Si(EX) 5MT - Retired
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 03:13 AM   #21
Gabrola
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by siwo View Post
Next step is for us to get a hold of a 2017 vin and try to DL & flash!
After finishing up with reading the thread it seems it will be impossible to do without flashing it with a donor VIN and FSC code set and use an emulator like in an NBT retrofit because ID5 navigation uses a different FSC scheme and I don't think BMW AG will generate ID5 FSC codes for VINs with ID4. You can check the thread out on bimmerfest you should find it easily, it's titled "New iDrive 5 on F Series with NBT Evo?", not sure if I'm allowed to link to other forums here.

Last edited by Gabrola; 07-06-2016 at 05:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 09:03 AM   #22
eatsleepblink281
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Just read on Macrumors that Kia will let their cars from 2014 -2017 have a free update to include Carplay....really hoping BMW can have this feature too.....doubt it would be free but don't mind paying the $300 if my M235i can have CarPlay on it
Appreciate 0