THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Installing TechnicPnP Active Sound removal harness

09-02-2016, 01:25 AM   #89
fancyfl1ght
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

Yes! Indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grentz View Post
Just did the fix. Definitely an improvement. Frankly i think it fixed the phasing of the front speakers in general as well. The soundstage is much improved.
Wow! I just did a critical listening test with some major bass tracks. With my JL Audio amp in place, the factory hifi speakers are really getting a workout, especially the underseat woofers. And my personal theory about including rather than excluding the center speaker finally makes sense.

I think if folks want a basic upgrade, an amp, plus the ASD harness is perfect project without swapping out the tweeterless crummy full range hifi speakers.
Alpine White BMW 228i (Stripper Special with Lighting Package as the ONLY option), HD-LINK IW06B-N23 Backup Camera & HDMI Input, Technic ASD Removal Harness (Wire Nut Mod), Technic Hifi Harness, Focal FDP 6.900, Hertz Energy ECX 100.5.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 12:17 PM   #90
DBinOC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 95 M3; M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyfl1ght View Post
Wow! I just did a critical listening test with some major bass tracks. With my JL Audio amp in place, the factory hifi speakers are really getting a workout, especially the underseat woofers. And my personal theory about including rather than excluding the center speaker finally makes sense.
Are you saying that the harness fix also fixes the "smearing" of the center channel somehow?

DBinOC
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 12:31 PM   #91
fancyfl1ght
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBinOC View Post
Are you saying that the harness fix also fixes the "smearing" of the center channel somehow?

DBinOC
I can clearly hear the center channel as a distinct speaker. It really makes the front audio sound stage really wide and loud. Case in point. I had to turn down the gong volume!

Now, I do have an aftermarket amp feeding the crummy tweeterless hifi speakers so, that may be factor as well. I used Technic's suggestion to bridge (2) 75 watt amplifer channels from my 8 channel amp using a High Pass filter set at 250Hz for the center channel. That's about 200W RMS going to a single channel, but at 250 Hz, there no bass. I may very well replace the center channel with a 3" or 3.5" aftermarket coax speaker.

But the center channel presence is really clear and distinct.

Regards,
fancyfl1ght
Alpine White BMW 228i (Stripper Special with Lighting Package as the ONLY option), HD-LINK IW06B-N23 Backup Camera & HDMI Input, Technic ASD Removal Harness (Wire Nut Mod), Technic Hifi Harness, Focal FDP 6.900, Hertz Energy ECX 100.5.

Last edited by fancyfl1ght; 09-02-2016 at 12:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 03:04 PM   #92
DBinOC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 95 M3; M235i

Cool. The center channel is certainly easy enough to connect and disconnect. I'm still running stock HK everything, so I'll give it a shot and see what I prefer once I get the harness fixed.

Thanks again,

DBinOC
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 03:04 PM   #93
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & M235i Convertibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver6spd View Post
I recently found a fix to the loss of bass that is inherent to the bypass harness and sent my findings off to Technic for verification, below is the response I have received from Technic.

(Your findings made me contact BMWAG to confirm the ASD OEM schematic and they confirmed your conclusion: the OEM schematic is incorrect for the HiFi (676) and the Top HiFi (674) systems.

Pins #3 and #4 (white and white/black wires in the ASD bypass harness) are incorrectly labeled in the schematics. Correct polarities are Pin # 3 negative and Pin #4 positive. The schematic showed them backwards.)

So Technic was unaware that the bypass harness was wired from a faulty BMW schematic which in turn created an out of phase front speaker, luckily the fix is simple and should be very easy for harness owners to perform themselves.

Fix:
Cut (white and white/black) wires at the midpoint of the wires loop and then re-connect the two wires so that you get a (white to white/black pair of wires) (cross the streams!) You should now have a (Front left) speaker with the proper polarity, in phase, and more importantly restoring the bass.

Technic wanted me to mention that the bypass harness is now corrected and that if any current owner is uncomfortable with performing the above fix they can have their harness rectified by contacting him directly.

Here is the fix without cutting anything. Here is the wiring harness before any modifications. Note the blk/wht wire is next to the red wire.

Get your jewelry screwdriver set and use the smallest screwdriver to push the tab on the pin connected to the wire and pull out the wire from the other side.

Here is the wire and pin showing you the tab that you have to push in to release the wire.

Switch the two wires and push them back in the plug case. Note that the white wire goes next to the red wire now.

On my wiring harness the tabs were on opposite sides of the pin for each wire. So, if you push the screwdriver in to release the tab and the wire does not easily pull out, try inserting the screwdriver on the other side of the pin.

Last edited by mdputnam; 09-03-2016 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: Added tab on opposite sides
Appreciate 2
      09-03-2016, 04:48 PM   #94
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

mdputnam wished I had seen that last night before I did a cut and splice

I did do the fix with a cut and splice and it's a definite improvement.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 05:50 PM   #95
GoSlow2GoFast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdputnam View Post
Here is the fix without cutting anything. Here is the wiring harness before any modifications. Note the blk/wht wire is next to the red wire.

Get your jewelry screwdriver set and use the smallest screwdriver to push the tab on the pin connected to the wire and pull out the wire from the other side.

Here is the wire and pin showing you the tab that you have to push in to release the wire.

Switch the two wires and push them back in the plug case. Note that the white wire goes next to the red wire now.

On my wiring harness the tabs were on opposite sides of the pin for each wire. So, if you push the screwdriver in to release the tab and the wire does not easily pull out, try inserting the screwdriver on the other side of the pin.
GREAT! That's the approach I was hoping to see...
      09-06-2016, 10:08 AM   #96
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & M235i Convertibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
mdputnam wished I had seen that last night before I did a cut and splice .
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow2GoFast View Post
GREAT! That's the approach I was hoping to see...
Glad to be of help for some..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 07:32 PM   #97
ed.k
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Big Difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver6spd View Post
I recently found a fix to the loss of bass that is inherent to the bypass harness and sent my findings off to Technic for verification, below is the response I have received from Technic.

(Your findings made me contact BMWAG to confirm the ASD OEM schematic and they confirmed your conclusion: the OEM schematic is incorrect for the HiFi (676) and the Top HiFi (674) systems.

Pins #3 and #4 (white and white/black wires in the ASD bypass harness) are incorrectly labeled in the schematics. Correct polarities are Pin # 3 negative and Pin #4 positive. The schematic showed them backwards.)

So Technic was unaware that the bypass harness was wired from a faulty BMW schematic which in turn created an out of phase front speaker, luckily the fix is simple and should be very easy for harness owners to perform themselves.

Fix:
Cut (white and white/black) wires at the midpoint of the wires loop and then re-connect the two wires so that you get a (white to white/black pair of wires) (cross the streams!) You should now have a (Front left) speaker with the proper polarity, in phase, and more importantly restoring the bass.

Technic wanted me to mention that the bypass harness is now corrected and that if any current owner is uncomfortable with performing the above fix they can have their harness rectified by contacting him directly.

I swapped the wires today and what a huge difference. The system sounds incredible now. I used a paper clip to unplug the connectors and I had to fight with it a little. Thanks to Silver6spd for tracking this down and mdputnam for the pictures.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 08:33 PM   #98
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

So perhaps I'm still missing something. TechnicPnP previously told orangeglim that the ASD unit functioned as a 15W amp (approx 8V), boosting the low 2.8V input signal from the iDrive, and that removing this 15W boost from the signal path was the reason for the missing bass.

But then Silver6spd is told by TechnicPnP that the BMW schematic used to design the harness was incorrect, and that with a simple fix, everything works as intended, with no loss of bass.

Are we now saying that the rewired bypass harness somehow retains the boost of the ASD amp without sending the ASD engine sound into the signal path? I'm hopeful, but just want to know what I'm getting into before I order the new harness.

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 09:10 PM   #99
orangeglim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Garage List
2019 M2C  [0.00]
After I initially installed the harness I contacted Technic whose response you see posted above. I then removed the harness and used everything in a stock form. Once the news broke of the harness mod that fixes the bass response I did the mod and reinstalled the harness. The bass response is fixed. So, I assume the 15W AMP loss from the missing ASD module isn't as significant as the out-of-phase issue with the harness wiring. I'd say order a harness and enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 03:36 PM   #100
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVU View Post
So perhaps I'm still missing something. TechnicPnP previously told orangeglim that the ASD unit functioned as a 15W amp (approx 8V), boosting the low 2.8V input signal from the iDrive, and that removing this 15W boost from the signal path was the reason for the missing bass.

But then Silver6spd is told by TechnicPnP that the BMW schematic used to design the harness was incorrect, and that with a simple fix, everything works as intended, with no loss of bass.

Are we now saying that the rewired bypass harness somehow retains the boost of the ASD amp without sending the ASD engine sound into the signal path? I'm hopeful, but just want to know what I'm getting into before I order the new harness.
Saw your post on the M2 forum as well ...

I think it's a combination of both. The out-of-phase condition that the original wiring in the harness created in the subs had a far larger effect than any lost line-level input voltage that taking ASD out of the signal path creates. And honestly, that amount of power (15W) is nowhere near enough to make a tremendous difference in bass frequency SPL. It would be manifested far more in the higher audible registers than in bass.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 04:59 PM   #101
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeglim View Post
After I initially installed the harness I contacted Technic whose response you see posted above. I then removed the harness and used everything in a stock form. Once the news broke of the harness mod that fixes the bass response I did the mod and reinstalled the harness. The bass response is fixed. So, I assume the 15W AMP loss from the missing ASD module isn't as significant as the out-of-phase issue with the harness wiring. I'd say order a harness and enjoy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Saw your post on the M2 forum as well ...

I think it's a combination of both. The out-of-phase condition that the original wiring in the harness created in the subs had a far larger effect than any lost line-level input voltage that taking ASD out of the signal path creates. And honestly, that amount of power (15W) is nowhere near enough to make a tremendous difference in bass frequency SPL. It would be manifested far more in the higher audible registers than in bass.
Thanks guys. I harness is now on the way.

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 08:52 PM   #102
SoCalRob
King of the World
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed.k View Post
I swapped the wires today and what a huge difference. The system sounds incredible now. I used a paper clip to unplug the connectors and I had to fight with it a little. Thanks to Silver6spd for tracking this down and mdputnam for the pictures.
I too used a paper clip - my smallest jeweler's screwdriver was too big, diameter-wise.

A tip: for each pin you are trying to remove, there is a small hole on either side. If you don't have any luck trying to release the tiny clip using the hole on one side of the pin, try using the one on the other side. In my case, the hole I "probed" to release the clip for the black/white wire was on a different side than the hole which worked for releasing the white wire. I think it all has to do with how the pin was inserted into the connector, i.e., which way the clip was facing. -scr
Appreciate 1
Pyrat 21417.50
      09-17-2016, 12:33 PM   #103
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalRob View Post
I too used a paper clip - my smallest jeweler's screwdriver was too big, diameter-wise.

A tip: for each pin you are trying to remove, there is a small hole on either side. If you don't have any luck trying to release the tiny clip using the hole on one side of the pin, try using the one on the other side. In my case, the hole I "probed" to release the clip for the black/white wire was on a different side than the hole which worked for releasing the white wire. I think it all has to do with how the pin was inserted into the connector, i.e., which way the clip was facing. -scr
Took me 30 minutes total to pull everything apart, make the pin swap and put back together. Elias from TechnicPMP offered to send me a free extractor but I declined since it was so straightforward. Outstanding service and he stands by his product. He also sent me this diagram.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
SoCalRob281.00
      09-17-2016, 05:04 PM   #104
AKPAB
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

I used the smallest micro screwdriver in my set, and it worked. Swapped the wires, and the sound on my hifi system is markedly better. Thanks to Silver6spd and mdputnam !
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 07:17 PM   #105
GrayM235
Rep
Drives: M235

I just got and installed the harness. Unfortunately the bass loss from the driver's seat sub is noticeable. Assume this is what I have to live with to remove ASD?

Last edited by GrayM235; 09-22-2016 at 07:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 07:49 PM   #106
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayM235 View Post
I just got and installed the harness. Unfortunately the bass loss is noticeable. Assume this is what I have to live with to remove ASD?
No, you should reread this thread for the simple fix to correct the issue. Or see the Dr. Strangelove thread: http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1236238.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 07:57 PM   #107
GrayM235
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by selmeralto View Post
No, you should reread this thread for the simple fix to correct the issue. Or see the Dr. Strangelove thread: http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1236238.
Thanks. Unfortunately I did not inspect the wiring carefully to confirm but I assumed technicpnp sent the latest 'fixed' harness? I just got it this week.

Are you getting the same amount of bass from both sides? I can actually feel the bass thump on passenger seat vs none on driver's side.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 08:00 PM   #108
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. Unfortunately I did not inspect the wiring carefully to confirm but I assumed technicpnp sent the latest 'fixed' harness? I just got it this week.

Are you getting the same amount of bass from both sides? I can actually feel the bass thump on passenger seat vs none on driver's side.
I suggest you write directly to Technic to find out whether you've gotten the corrected version. He has been very straightforward and helpful regarding this issue. That would be the most reliable way of determining your next step.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 08:03 PM   #109
GrayM235
Rep

Thanks, I have and am waiting on his response. I just wanted to get feedback from others who installed the 'fix' as well. Sanity check of sorts
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 08:33 PM   #110
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, I have and am waiting on his response. I just wanted to get feedback from others who installed the 'fix' as well. Sanity check of sorts
I feel your pain. One thing you can do if you don't mind the possibility of having an unneeded splice in a hidden area is just switch the wires and see if you can hear a difference. You can't do any harm and it might set your mind at ease.
Appreciate 0