THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Nav Pro OTA maps update: Too good to be true?

05-17-2015, 01:28 AM   #45
moltenfire
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i EBII Coral Red

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
Thanks Pikcachu, I've already generated FSC codes for myself for the next 11 years so I've got myself covered there. But it's still a gamble getting the map files online as that's through unofficial channels. There's no guarantee that I'll be able to get map files online in the future, especially with BMW doing their best to turn off internet facing map repositories.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 06:32 AM   #46
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by moldcad
Due to self-imposed limitations in the brake-in period, I made my entire first trip in Comfort mode - therefore I cannot be sure. Will perform the test you mention at the first opportunity and report back.

That said, in Comfort mode the car is quiet inside - perhaps not as quiet as my F10 was in Comfort (there certainly was no Sound Actuator in my 528xi), but after all a 2-series may not be as insulated as the F10 is; not to mention I'm used to the N20 in F10 noise and now I have N55 in F22. One thing is certain: my M235i is certainly more quiet than the VW R!
Don't baby the car during break in! I used to do that until I realized I was creating oil burners.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 11:15 AM   #47
Pyewacket69
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

BMW makes it pretty clear that they can improve a product at their discretion, at any time during the model year.

I get that...

Still, I can fully understand the position of buyers that, as Maxwell Smart used to say, "Missed it by that much" by purchasing one of the last vehicles assembled without the new enhancement when there was no clear change-over date for the modification, which in this case seems to be the order of the day.

I know if I went to the Apple Store to buy a new phone on Monday and made a purchase, and on Friday my wife went in to purchase the very same phone, but on her phone she got an extra 64G of memory or a higher pixel camera for the very same price, I'd certainly be pissed... And, I suspect 99+% of other people would as well, even though it's perfectly within Apple's rights to do that.

In cases like that, it's not unusual for companies to make provisions for the "almost made it" customers to compensate them in one way, shape or form.

Since we have a person affected in such a way here who is going to pursue the issue, I'm curious to see if BMW steps up to the plate and does something, or tells him to go pound sand.

Let's see how this develops.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 11:17 AM   #48
Pyewacket69
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7
Quote:
Originally Posted by moldcad
Due to self-imposed limitations in the brake-in period, I made my entire first trip in Comfort mode - therefore I cannot be sure. Will perform the test you mention at the first opportunity and report back.

That said, in Comfort mode the car is quiet inside - perhaps not as quiet as my F10 was in Comfort (there certainly was no Sound Actuator in my 528xi), but after all a 2-series may not be as insulated as the F10 is; not to mention I'm used to the N20 in F10 noise and now I have N55 in F22. One thing is certain: my M235i is certainly more quiet than the VW R!
Don't baby the car during break in! I used to do that until I realized I was creating oil burners.
Totally opposite of what the engineers that designed and made the car suggest...
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2015, 07:36 PM   #49
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewacket69
BMW makes it pretty clear that they can improve a product at their discretion, at any time during the model year.

I get that...

Still, I can fully understand the position of buyers that, as Maxwell Smart used to say, "Missed it by that much" by purchasing one of the last vehicles assembled without the new enhancement when there was no clear change-over date for the modification, which in this case seems to be the order of the day.

I know if I went to the Apple Store to buy a new phone on Monday and made a purchase, and on Friday my wife went in to purchase the very same phone, but on her phone she got an extra 64G of memory or a higher pixel camera for the very same price, I'd certainly be pissed... And, I suspect 99+% of other people would as well, even though it's perfectly within Apple's rights to do that.

In cases like that, it's not unusual for companies to make provisions for the "almost made it" customers to compensate them in one way, shape or form.

Since we have a person affected in such a way here who is going to pursue the issue, I'm curious to see if BMW steps up to the plate and does something, or tells him to go pound sand.

Let's see how this develops.
Indeed.

As I said before, I'm only mildly bummed about the other '2015.5' improvements that seem to have been instituted with 03/15 builds, including the white-to-orange HVAC display, the aluminum trimmed center A/C vents, and the dropping of active sound. I can live without 4G, too.

But I'm P.O.ed about the free OTA Nav updates because it's a service that adds measurable value to the car. It's not so much the off-model-year timing that BMW decided to use; it's that it decided to institute it across the entire 2-series line (and not just for 'verts as originally stated by BMW) without making any sort of announcement about the increased scope of the switchover.

I'll keep y'all posted in a separate thread ... and by the way: I may ask how many other 2015 2-series owners with the Tech Package (and, hence, Nav Professional) and a pre-March 2015 build date are out there in that thread. This affects all of you.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 12:30 AM   #50
cehlion
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 99 323i, 02 325i, 15 M235i

03/15 Updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Indeed.

As I said before, I'm only mildly bummed about the other '2015.5' improvements that seem to have been instituted with 03/15 builds, including the white-to-orange HVAC display, the aluminum trimmed center A/C vents, and the dropping of active sound. I can live without 4G, too.

But I'm P.O.ed about the free OTA Nav updates because it's a service that adds measurable value to the car. It's not so much the off-model-year timing that BMW decided to use; it's that it decided to institute it across the entire 2-series line (and not just for 'verts as originally stated by BMW) without making any sort of announcement about the increased scope of the switchover.

I'll keep y'all posted in a separate thread ... and by the way: I may ask how many other 2015 2-series owners with the Tech Package (and, hence, Nav Professional) and a pre-March 2015 build date are out there in that thread. This affects all of you.
I guess I lucked out, my m235i w/tech pkg build was completed a week ago and do ED next week.

Has anyone compiled a comprehensive updated list of the 3/15 updates? I heard about the alum rings, and I am stoked about the nav update...but I hadn't heard anything about the active sound update (is this engine noise pipe in?).

I would guess that if pushed (and only if pushed) they might give an olive branch to pre-3/15 folks on the nav issues. <fingers crossed for you folks>
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 04:15 AM   #51
Zooks527
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi / 2005 Tacoma 4x4

Quote:
Indeed.

As I said before, I'm only mildly bummed about the other '2015.5' improvements that seem to have been instituted with 03/15 builds, including the white-to-orange HVAC display, the aluminum trimmed center A/C vents, and the dropping of active sound.
No, active sound is still there. Wish it wasn't, but it is.

Prior 40 years: 67 BelAir wagon / 68 LeMans Tempest / 70 Mustang Mach 1 / 72 El Dorado / 78 Corvette / 81 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 83 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 85 Bronco 4x4 / 96 Bronco 4x4 / 04 Passat 4mo / 09 BMW 335xi
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 04:35 AM   #52
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
No, active sound is still there. Wish it wasn't, but it is.
I'm not 100% sure of that. Don't here any difference in sound when toggling between Comfort and Sport/Sport+.

PS. Could you tell me where to look for the Active Sound module in my M235i?
my RWD pirate & long-distance cruiser: 2015 M235i AT8, LSD

Last edited by moldcad; 05-18-2015 at 05:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 05:32 AM   #53
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2022 992 C2S Cab

I also have the new climate unit with the white daylight readings. I was not able to get my BMW online going yet... Some issue with BMW Assist - call button does not even work - maybe SIM card not activated. Hence cannot yet confirm the 4G NAV unit.
I definitely feel there is ASD.
      05-18-2015, 07:30 AM   #54
Zooks527
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi / 2005 Tacoma 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by moldcad View Post
I'm not 100% sure of that. Don't here any difference in sound when toggling between Comfort and Sport/Sport+.

Certainly does on mine. Sit in park, windows up, rev to 2000 rpm, flip back and forth between COMFORT and SPORT, and the change in tone and volume is quite noticeable.

I do have hk audio, and I've heard ("heard", not "know") that it's a separate module for hk equipped cars. Maybe it got decontented in the standard, but left in the hk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moldcad View Post
Parts diagram shows it in the left rear of the trunk. Not sure if it's integrated into the unit or not. I'll be going looking next weekend.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=65_2390

Prior 40 years: 67 BelAir wagon / 68 LeMans Tempest / 70 Mustang Mach 1 / 72 El Dorado / 78 Corvette / 81 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 83 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 85 Bronco 4x4 / 96 Bronco 4x4 / 04 Passat 4mo / 09 BMW 335xi
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 10:05 AM   #55
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by German1967 View Post
I also have the new climate unit with the white daylight readings. I was not able to get my BMW online going yet... Some issue with BMW Assist - call button does not even work - maybe SIM card not activated. Hence cannot yet confirm the 4G NAV unit.
Some clarification: It's still undetermined as to which 2-series cars ASD has been deprecated on -- if any. The only thing I've heard through other parties is that it is being discontinued on all but M cars. The issue is what the definition of an M car is regarding this change. It's very possible that ASD still exists on M235is.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 10:10 AM   #56
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep

Alright, my BMW Assist connection button is not operative and thus I cannot initiate either BMW Online or Connected Drive. Car goes into the shop after two days of ownership.
Let's hope this is not a bad omen...
      05-18-2015, 10:18 AM   #57
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cehlion View Post
Has anyone compiled a comprehensive updated list of the 3/15 updates?
No, because there's still conjecture about some of the changes (ASD, for example), and there very well may be others that were made but haven't been announced in any way (publicly, via a tech bulletin, or otherwise) or noticed by anyone.

The only ones I know of are:
- white-to-orange HVAC display
- aluminum trim around center A/C vents
- ASD deprecation (possibly on 228i models only; no one knows for sure yet)
- EVO HU with 4G/LTE capability and free over-the-air Nav Professional map & info updates (though no one is sure how long the free OTA updates last. Three years, like RTTI? Four years, like the warranty? 10 Years, like BMW Assist?)
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 11:02 AM   #58
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
Certainly does on mine. Sit in park, windows up, rev to 2000 rpm, flip back and forth between COMFORT and SPORT, and the change in tone and volume is quite noticeable.

I do have hk audio, and I've heard ("heard", not "know") that it's a separate module for hk equipped cars. Maybe it got decontented in the standard, but left in the hk.
I can hear no difference whatsoever in the engine/exhaust note inside the car in any mode. Am almost 100% sure I don't have the Active Sound unit (and my BMW dealer knows nothing, as always ).

Oh, and I do have Harmann-Kardon.
my RWD pirate & long-distance cruiser: 2015 M235i AT8, LSD
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 11:47 AM   #59
Pyewacket69
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike
Quote:
Originally Posted by German1967 View Post
Some clarification: It's still undetermined as to which 2-series cars ASD has been deprecated on -- if any. The only thing I've heard through other parties is that it is being discontinued on all but M cars. The issue is what the definition of an M car is regarding this change. It's very possible that ASD still exists on M235is.
It's been a while since I looked through the code able options for the F22, but I thought the simulated sound was/is a code able option.

Like I said, it's been a while, and I may not have that memory correct.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 11:58 AM   #60
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewacket69 View Post
It's been a while since I looked through the code able options for the F22, but I thought the simulated sound was/is a code able option.

Like I said, it's been a while, and I may not have that memory correct.
You are correct, sir: it can be coded out.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 02:53 PM   #61
moltenfire
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i EBII Coral Red

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
From the F30 LCI (http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1124143) info, for the US at least the automatic map updates are only free for 3 years.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2015, 02:58 PM   #62
Pyewacket69
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Even more reason to give the short changed owners the same thing for 3 years... At least one NAV update a year seems reasonable to me.

It's the right thing for the customer...Let's see if it happens.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 03:28 PM   #63
isthar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xDrive

Quote:
Just FYI, I have recently taken delivery of a new M235, and through various reboot issues, at times I had lost in idrive the connected drive stuff, and I found two places that can do updates from the Options submenu; bluetooth (as we all know, from USB) and also I went to the Connected menu and clicked options and saw an option to do a "Update BMW Assist", when I did... suddenly I get every option back, Nav does online search, I can get apps, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 07:32 PM   #64
OpenAir
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Enzo F23 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Talked to BMW today and this is what I've learned:

1. Have the latest "upgrade" with the HVAC cluster.
2. OTA's are free for 3 years
3. I have the 4G LTE, but I'm showing 3G as they have not rolled it out in my area yet.

Build date was 17 Feb 15.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 08:03 PM   #65
cehlion
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 99 323i, 02 325i, 15 M235i

Very interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenAir View Post
Talked to BMW today and this is what I've learned:

1. Have the latest "upgrade" with the HVAC cluster.
2. OTA's are free for 3 years
3. I have the 4G LTE, but I'm showing 3G as they have not rolled it out in my area yet.

Build date was 17 Feb 15.
Takeaway here is that 3G in the upper right hand corner isn't the tell, more likely if you have the other mid year updates (Hvac cluster, etc) you likely have the updated Tech. Also this is the earliest build date I have heard of with these updates...just to be clear your a coupe and not a convertible right?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 05:50 AM   #66
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep

To add to the confusion: my M235 Coupe with built date April 2015, new heat/air unit and tech package shows a 3G screen in an area that definitely has 4G coverage.

I will call BMW Genius later to confirm if I have the old or the new unit.