THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics BimmerTech Front & Rear Camera Review and DIY

02-07-2015, 11:50 PM   #23
configt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 EB M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
Kudos all around to you and your lovely wife. Thanks for sharing a very valuable add-on to anyone that didn't hike up to the OEM system.
I'm glad it was helpful!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 02:29 AM   #24
Pheasantsnest
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 220i, BMW X3

Congratulations

You have your car pulled apart into many pieces and you sound so calm when your talking about it. I would have been seriously worried it would not go back together, or something would have gone wrong and the car might not run again.

I could imagine myself getting the car towed to BMW and trying to explain that they need to put my car back together for me.

Well done, one calm guy. And obviously one understanding wife.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 07:27 AM   #25
configt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheasantsnest View Post
You have your car pulled apart into many pieces and you sound so calm when your talking about it. I would have been seriously worried it would not go back together, or something would have gone wrong and the car might not run again.

I could imagine myself getting the car towed to BMW and trying to explain that they need to put my car back together for me.

Well done, one calm guy. And obviously one understanding wife.
Haha, thanks. These cars are designed to be taken apart and put back together. It just requires some forethought and some trim tools and patience.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 09:08 PM   #26
cgeaves
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235i

Rear View Camera

I just followed a combo of configt's "how to" along with the instructions from the manufacturer to install the rear view camera in my 2014 M235. I have the Harmon Kardon sound system which has a head unit that takes up the WHOLE space in the console so I had to get creative to find a space to stuff the camera "brains" box. I took the glove box and air bag unit on the passenger side completely out and found a nook to place the unit which made the install a little more fun! Thanks Configt for your additional help with a snag or two along the way. Good way to spend 8 or 10 hours on a relatively warm Louisiana weekend!!!
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2015, 08:46 PM   #27
Supernaut
Little Deuce Coupe
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeaves View Post
I just followed a combo of configt's "how to" along with the instructions from the manufacturer to install the rear view camera in my 2014 M235. I have the Harmon Kardon sound system which has a head unit that takes up the WHOLE space in the console so I had to get creative to find a space to stuff the camera "brains" box. I took the glove box and air bag unit on the passenger side completely out and found a nook to place the unit which made the install a little more fun! Thanks Configt for your additional help with a snag or two along the way. Good way to spend 8 or 10 hours on a relatively warm Louisiana weekend!!!
Good to know about the HK since that's what I'm getting. How "remote" can you make "brain" with the included cabling?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 09:56 PM   #28
cgeaves
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernaut View Post
Good to know about the HK since that's what I'm getting. How "remote" can you make "brain" with the included cabling?
I didn't exactly measure but I would say no more than 12-15". You will need every bit of space behind the HK unit just to stuff the huge plastic plugs that tie the camera unit into the HK head.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 12:44 AM   #29
dharo1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Previous: F22 M235i ; F80 M3 ;

Great videos!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 04:02 PM   #30
Aragon
Registered
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 220d M-Sport (2G72)

Hi! Thank you for posting all this valuable information! I was wondering about that opening beneath the entertainment unit, where you installed the A/V switch - is that normally a cavity intended for a DIN sized stereo?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 07:19 PM   #31
configt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragon View Post
Hi! Thank you for posting all this valuable information! I was wondering about that opening beneath the entertainment unit, where you installed the A/V switch - is that normally a cavity intended for a DIN sized stereo?
I don't think so.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 03:46 PM   #32
MinG3
Registered
Rep
Drives: Mineral Gray 328i

Been looking for a solution like this for the f30. Has anyone ever tried the Naviks and how does it compare? At first glance seems to be similar, except a tad bit cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 10:33 PM   #33
configt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinG3 View Post
Been looking for a solution like this for the f30. Has anyone ever tried the Naviks and how does it compare? At first glance seems to be similar, except a tad bit cheaper.
Hmm, never heard of it. Sorry man!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 10:17 AM   #34
Ke_T328
Registered
Rep
Drives: '13 M-sport xdrive 328i

Great thread! really helpful!
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2015, 01:11 PM   #35
a-fung
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i xDrive

Great review!

I have a question: how do you reach the lower grill to install the front camera?
Does it just pop in from outside? Or you can reach from the kidney grill?

I am planning to install a camera in similar location. My car already has the factory parking assistant so I will find some other cameras to install but I want to know how to reach that place first.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 11:01 PM   #36
configt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-fung View Post
Great review!

I have a question: how do you reach the lower grill to install the front camera?
Does it just pop in from outside? Or you can reach from the kidney grill?

I am planning to install a camera in similar location. My car already has the factory parking assistant so I will find some other cameras to install but I want to know how to reach that place first.
You need to pop out one of the kidney grills first. Then you can easily reach down!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 01:12 AM   #37
kanucks
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i xDrive

any chance of a group buy happening with some sort of discount or incentive? anyone from bimmer-tech willing to let us know. if say we get 10, 25 or more ppl interested in a group purchase?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 10:52 PM   #38
Outrun
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i xDrive

Thank you very much for posting this. Like you I purchased a '16 M235i without the parking package and now regret the lack of camera. I just bought the rear view and front view cameras from Bimmertech, waiting for it's arrival. I'm worried about the installation process as I am not handy whatsoever. Do you think it would be best to have it installed by a car audio installation shop or someplace similar?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 12:01 AM   #39
configt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrun View Post
Thank you very much for posting this. Like you I purchased a '16 M235i without the parking package and now regret the lack of camera. I just bought the rear view and front view cameras from Bimmertech, waiting for it's arrival. I'm worried about the installation process as I am not handy whatsoever. Do you think it would be best to have it installed by a car audio installation shop or someplace similar?
It is super simple man. Follow my video series and you can it yourself. You could take it to an audio installer. They will probably charge you 2-3 hours labor, which probably isn't so bad.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 09:55 AM   #40
Nelson@BimmerTech
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanucks View Post
any chance of a group buy happening with some sort of discount or incentive? anyone from bimmer-tech willing to let us know. if say we get 10, 25 or more ppl interested in a group purchase?
Yes its possible. Please create a group buy thread. We only need 10 people for a discount.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 08:04 PM   #41
Outrun
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i xDrive

I had my Bimmertech front and rearview cameras installed today by a reputable car audio installation shop in town. I actually told them to watch Configt's video, which they did and they said was super helpful! The whole process took them 3 hours.

As far as the cameras themselves, I'm very pleased with the video quality and ease of use. One thing to keep in mind is that the car needs to be turned off AND locked to turn off the camera, otherwise, it will suck power from the battery apparently. I would definitely recommend this Bimmertech product for others interested in a camera system for your 2!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 02:49 AM   #42
configt
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outrun View Post
I had my Bimmertech front and rearview cameras installed today by a reputable car audio installation shop in town. I actually told them to watch Configt's video, which they did and they said was super helpful! The whole process took them 3 hours.

As far as the cameras themselves, I'm very pleased with the video quality and ease of use. One thing to keep in mind is that the car needs to be turned off AND locked to turn off the camera, otherwise, it will suck power from the battery apparently. I would definitely recommend this Bimmertech product for others interested in a camera system for your 2!
Wow cool! Someone used my video and made money off it! hahahaha
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2015, 07:18 PM   #43
first_BMW
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2104 320i

Smile

this tutorial really helped me install the backup camera on my 3series
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 03:10 PM   #44
kiko2206
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335D

Video Interface

Thanks a lot for your topic, all what you said is very interesting .

I have the same installed in my car: BMW “F30”335XD year: 2013 monitor screen 8”8. The same interface but I have a problem when the screen display the GPS mode the icons in the left are cut.

I try to change the dips in each configuration is the same, I sent the interface for the provider they made an update on the firmware and after I have the same problem.

Do you have an idea about this bugs and do you have the same bugs in your model for the 8”8 displays for F30 BMW?

Regards

thanks a lot
Appreciate 0