THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Dealer charge for NBTevo update ?

12-31-2019, 10:46 AM   #1
sauceonside
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 240i MT

Dealer charge for NBTevo update ?

I'm at the dealer where I asked my idrive to be updated to NBTevo_R which would make full screen car play possible (I have stock NBTevo_J) . However they're telling me it will cost $250 to update the firmware! Am I crazy or is that complete nonsense?

PS I'm not asking for maps or anything, just the software update.
Thanks-SoS
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 08:58 AM   #2
steve@codemybimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sauceonside View Post
I'm at the dealer where I asked my idrive to be updated to NBTevo_R which would make full screen car play possible (I have stock NBTevo_J) . However they're telling me it will cost $250 to update the firmware! Am I crazy or is that complete nonsense?

PS I'm not asking for maps or anything, just the software update.
Thanks-SoS
When the dealer updates the vehicle, they update the entire vehicle so it will take around 4 hours so the $250 is reasonable.

This also takes up a service bay for half a day so they prefer not to do it unless it's absolutely necessary.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 12:53 PM   #3
sauceonside
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@codemybimmer View Post
When the dealer updates the vehicle, they update the entire vehicle so it will take around 4 hours so the $250 is reasonable.

This also takes up a service bay for half a day so they prefer not to do it unless it's absolutely necessary.
Got it. Had no idea. Do you have any idea what is changed (is there a changelog?) between each update? For example I know that I can do the full screen carplay mod if I have a more recent update, but no other ideas what might be different. Sounds like it might not be worth it. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 02:47 AM   #4
Cboy
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 AW F87 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauceonside View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@codemybimmer View Post

Got it. Had no idea. Do you have any idea what is changed (is there a changelog?) between each update? For example I know that I can do the full screen carplay mod if I have a more recent update, but no other ideas what might be different. Sounds like it might not be worth it. Thanks!
You should tell them the Navi or radio resets. They will usually update it for free then
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 09:07 AM   #5
sauceonside
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cboy View Post
You should tell them the Navi or radio resets. They will usually update it for free then
Just to follow-up, I told the dealer that bluetooth/carplay occasionally didn't connect (which is actually true but nothing new). They updated the software free and cited a service bulletin suggesting that remedy as well.

On the unexpected side, now the option to code the turn signal one-touch setting to more than 3 has disappeared. Stephan at Bimmercode said he's aware and working on a solution; perhaps the settings have been renamed. Odd that of all the things you still can do, like video in motion, that one-touch signalling options is the one they modified/eliminated.
Appreciate 0