THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) Ceramic Removal or whatever it is

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-15-2023, 06:42 AM   #1
Hapbob
Second Lieutenant
Hapbob's Avatar
232
Rep
230
Posts

Drives: M240 2018
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Palms and Pines

iTrader: (0)

Ceramic Removal or whatever it is

Used white car
When looking at angle with sun just there you can see streaks that looks like a coating was put on uneven or to sparsely/thin in a wipe formation. I would like to remove it all and just wax it. Nothing I have tried so far touches it. Any Ideas what a plan would be for a very in-experience car finish guy.

Hap
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 02:09 PM   #2
Kernel Kurtz
Major
Kernel Kurtz's Avatar
347
Rep
1,022
Posts

Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Winnipeg, Canada

iTrader: (0)

I'd try a clay bar first. It is hard to mess up anything with that.

If that does not work you will probably need to use an abrasive compound and a power tool, and that will depend on your skill/comfort level.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 06:23 AM   #3
Hapbob
Second Lieutenant
Hapbob's Avatar
232
Rep
230
Posts

Drives: M240 2018
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Palms and Pines

iTrader: (0)

Clay

I tried the clay bar and still have the streaks. I am guessing is some sort of Ceramic coating that wasn't put on great or its been there a long time. Its a 2018 car. I am going to take to a detailer to get estimate to strip it down to paint and I just want to wax it.
Nothing I tried touches the problem.
Hap
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 07:10 PM   #4
John in VA
Colonel
1002
Rep
2,221
Posts

Drives: 2015 228i M Sport
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Leesburg, VA

iTrader: (6)

Most professional specialists agree that using an orbital polisher with a polishing compound is the best way to remove a ceramic coating. Because polishing may essentially "cut" through the resistive coating until the clear coat is reached, it is by far the simplest method. However, this requires knowledge of polishing techniques and the ability to know when one has successfully cut through the ceramic coating, but has not penetrated too deeply into the underlying transparent layer.
__________________
____________________________________________
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 10:38 PM   #5
fiveightandten
Private
fiveightandten's Avatar
111
Rep
81
Posts

Drives: F22 M235, E36 M3, E30 325, E90
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapbob View Post
I tried the clay bar and still have the streaks. I am guessing is some sort of Ceramic coating that wasn't put on great or its been there a long time. Its a 2018 car. I am going to take to a detailer to get estimate to strip it down to paint and I just want to wax it.
Nothing I tried touches the problem.
Hap
There are products specifically designed to strip products off the paint; both car wash concentrates and spray on/wipe off products. Of course, a ceramic coating is designed to hold up against this, but I'd start by chemically attacking it with a car wash designed to strip. Then wipe the car down with a 50/50 mix of iso-propyl alcohol and water. This will minimize the mechanical work you need to do.

After that, you'll need to attack it mechanically, as you've tried. But be aware that you're removing a solid. So what happens is it will load up onto the polishing pad that you're using. Then you're just grinding it into the paint, which can introduce more imperfections. The key here is controlling the contamination on the pad to avoid that. Use some compressed air to blow the dust off the pad often.

What kind of polisher, pad, and product have you been using to try and remove this?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 04:33 AM   #6
Hapbob
Second Lieutenant
Hapbob's Avatar
232
Rep
230
Posts

Drives: M240 2018
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Palms and Pines

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for response

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveightandten View Post
There are products specifically designed to strip products off the paint; both car wash concentrates and spray on/wipe off products. Of course, a ceramic coating is designed to hold up against this, but I'd start by chemically attacking it with a car wash designed to strip. Then wipe the car down with a 50/50 mix of iso-propyl alcohol and water. This will minimize the mechanical work you need to do.

After that, you'll need to attack it mechanically, as you've tried. But be aware that you're removing a solid. So what happens is it will load up onto the polishing pad that you're using. Then you're just grinding it into the paint, which can introduce more imperfections. The key here is controlling the contamination on the pad to avoid that. Use some compressed air to blow the dust off the pad often.

What kind of polisher, pad, and product have you been using to try and remove this?
I haven't tried mechanical removal. Just Claybar and various cleaners. I don't have the equipment or knowledge/skill for that I am afraid. I have talked to a local detail guy who seems to know what he is doing and will take it all off for $350. Still deciding if thats what I want to do.

Hap
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 11:35 PM   #7
fiveightandten
Private
fiveightandten's Avatar
111
Rep
81
Posts

Drives: F22 M235, E36 M3, E30 325, E90
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapbob View Post
I haven't tried mechanical removal. Just Claybar and various cleaners. I don't have the equipment or knowledge/skill for that I am afraid. I have talked to a local detail guy who seems to know what he is doing and will take it all off for $350. Still deciding if thats what I want to do.

Hap
Yeah, clay bar wonít touch it. CarPro Eraser would be a good chemical to try.

How prevalent are the streaks on the car? If itís just in localized spots, you could likely remove it by hand with a polishing compound. Any light cut off the shelf polish on a microfiber will do. Iíd try that. Thereís little risk in this.

For the next step up, there are cheap DA polishers available at Harbor Freight and Amazon. DAs have fairly low risk and youíd have to work hard to do damage. Youíd want to stay away from an orbital polisher, as you can easily do damage with one if youíre inexperienced.

If the local guy is good, that may be worth the money. Just be sure to come to an understanding with him that you want to remove the streaks and perform any necessary correction, nothing more. Make sure heís not one of these detailers thatís going to burn through a bunch of your clear coat trying to make the paint flawless (unless thatís what you want).
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 06:31 AM   #8
Hapbob
Second Lieutenant
Hapbob's Avatar
232
Rep
230
Posts

Drives: M240 2018
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Palms and Pines

iTrader: (0)

OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveightandten View Post
Yeah, clay bar wonít touch it. CarPro Eraser would be a good chemical to try.

How prevalent are the streaks on the car? If itís just in localized spots, you could likely remove it by hand with a polishing compound. Any light cut off the shelf polish on a microfiber will do. Iíd try that. Thereís little risk in this.

For the next step up, there are cheap DA polishers available at Harbor Freight and Amazon. DAs have fairly low risk and youíd have to work hard to do damage. Youíd want to stay away from an orbital polisher, as you can easily do damage with one if youíre inexperienced.

If the local guy is good, that may be worth the money. Just be sure to come to an understanding with him that you want to remove the streaks and perform any necessary correction, nothing more. Make sure heís not one of these detailers thatís going to burn through a bunch of your clear coat trying to make the paint flawless (unless thatís what you want).
I will try your suggestions...Thanks
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 PM.




2addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST