THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Dr. Strangelove, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying & Live w the Harmon Kardon System

09-05-2017, 08:13 AM   #617
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipstix View Post
Excellent thread.

I had promised myself that I would not modify in any way my brand new 2016 M140i, and 1 year in it was all going so well....!

Anyway, this thread resonated with me (OK bad word to use), and I started by disconnecting the centre channel. 15mins, zero cost, instant improvement.

I already have the weather strips.

I am now planning the Eton B100W front speaker upgrade. I found a video of how to get the door card off.

Looks OK. I'm not a huge fan of working with trim and interiors (had had the door cards off on Audi A3, Honda Prelude, Mondeo mk3 ST220) and its not a process I enjoy but I've decided to man up and do it.

I checked and I also want the ETON B100W speakers for my F2.? Its looks all good from this list http://www.eton-gmbh.com/fileadmin/u...st_bmw_web.pdf

I will use "Silent Coat" in the UK as it seems very similar to Dynamat Extreme and about 1/2 the price. They do an 8 sheet door kit.

3 questions if I may:

1) Does anyone have photos of where they recommend installing the Dynamat specifically in this door (F20/21/22)? I have a smaller roller, a heat gun and trim tools.
2) Should the refitted ETON speaker mount through the sound deadening material? i.e. should there be sound deadening between the speaker and the door mounting positions?
3) I read somewhere that disconnecting centre channel deletes the ASD? i presume that is not the case? I actually want to keep my ASD (sorry!) as 'enhanced' or not, it sounds great to me (and I like the more aggressive 'engineered' sound of my 3.0L twin scroll straight six in sports mode. The hiss I only hear when stationary with music not playing. I am not going to modify exhaust or intake. In my limited driving so far, it sounds to me like engine sound augmentation is still active. Unless its a placebo effect, the hiss or noise seems less obvious or noticeable now that the centre channel is disconnected.

Thanks,

Chipstix

Nr Brighton, UK
I cut and trimmed the Dynamat to cover every inch of bare metal I could see. I know, overkill. Having said that, you want to mount the speaker directly to the door metal rather than to sound proofing material because it's very important that you have as good a seal as possible between the speaker and the door. So soundproof just up to the point where the speaker frame goes.
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2017, 09:57 AM   #618
Chipstix
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M140i

Thanks selmeralto

Be interesting if you had any thoughts about the ASD question from disconnecting the centre speaker.....
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 10:33 AM   #619
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks selmeralto

Be interesting if you had any thoughts about the ASD question from disconnecting the centre speaker.....
The ASD introduces fake (engine) noise. The center speakers muddy up the sound. If you're after clean sound best to get the Technic harness to eliminate ASD and disconnect the front centre speaker. They're both easy modifications ... and one of them is free!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 04:44 PM   #620
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Quote:
Thanks selmeralto

They are not related. The engine sound does not only come from the center speaker.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 06:48 PM   #621
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryem3 View Post
They are not related. The engine sound does not only come from the center speaker.
Yes, ryem3 has got it right.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 06:24 PM   #622
Busby
Rep
Drives: 2017 220i M Sport Vert MG

Great thread,
Have disconnected centre HK speakers & has made things better.
Now bought Eton B100W & am waiting for some free time to instal.
One question,there are 2 sockets on the midrange speaker,does it
matter which one you plug the tweeter into.The instructions are a bit
ambiguous & there is no marking I can see.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 08:33 PM   #623
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Quick follow up on my install. The Focal v2 subs are well broken in now and are really kicking ass. They are much punchier than the factory ones. Really adds to the clarity and overall resolution of the system.
I'd also like to give a huge shout out to Extreme Audio in Germany. Thorsten has provided great service and super response. They are way cheaper than any US company for audio products. Not only that, their shipping is actually pretty reasonable for international, especially if you order a whole kit. Beyond that, when I didn't want the Eton B100s, they accepted them in return and gave me full credit plus shipping. Granted, sending them back wasn't cheap, but at least I didn't have to try to sell them at a loss. Will definitely use them for future equipment purchases.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      10-03-2017, 10:51 PM   #624
Audioholics
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

Hey guys;

I'm looking to replace my M235i with Harman system with an M240i without Harman system.

I can't seem to find pics of the speaker layouts for the non-HK system. Are the speakers the same sizes/locations other than there NOT being door tweeters?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 12:09 AM   #625
Pnorth
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M235i & X1 2.0d

Garage List
Yes, same but no tweeters.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 01:12 AM   #626
Audioholics
Private
Rep

So the speakers at the back of the car have no tweeters either? Is there a space for adding tweeters there or will it have to be drilled?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 05:44 AM   #627
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioholics View Post
So the speakers at the back of the car have no tweeters either? Is there a space for adding tweeters there or will it have to be drilled?
Vert or coupe?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 07:41 AM   #628
Audioholics
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Vert or coupe?
Coupe.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 08:38 AM   #629
JerryW235
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 40i; 2021 X3 M40i

If it's like a 2016 M235i coupe, there are openings for the tweeters on the rear shelf, but they are plugged with foam inserts that just pop out. Also, if like the M235i, the speaker grills do not have an opening above the tweeters and need to be modified, or replaced with covers from a car with the H-K system.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2017, 01:57 PM   #630
Audioholics
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryW235 View Post
If it's like a 2016 M235i coupe, there are openings for the tweeters on the rear shelf, but they are plugged with foam inserts that just pop out. Also, if like the M235i, the speaker grills do not have an opening above the tweeters and need to be modified, or replaced with covers from a car with the H-K system.
Excellent this is what I needed to know. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 10:58 AM   #631
havinfun
Private
Rep
Drives: m240i

Per the great info in this thread, I upgraded my door and rear shelf speakers in my 2018 M240i (with Harmon Kardon). I used the Eton B-100W's for the doors as recommended but Morel Maximo Ultra 402's for the rears to more closely match sensativity (86.5 dB fronts and 87.5 dB rears). I left the front center speaker connected and did not touch the under-seat speakers. The result was well worth the cost and time with much cleaner highs and mid-range.

Yesterday I finally disconnected the front center speakers. I really was not expecting to hear a difference, but . . . surprise . . . it was noticable. Apparently the center speakers had enough higher sensativity to play over the upgraded Etons and also force me to increase the fader towards the rear. With the center speakers disconnected, the front sound became even cleaner and I had to boost the fronts with the fader. That apparently also boosted power to the under-seat speakers, because I now have more base as well . . . a pleasant bonus. I am really pleased with the overall result.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 06:53 PM   #632
Audioholics
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by havinfun View Post
Per the great info in this thread, I upgraded my door and rear shelf speakers in my 2018 M240i (with Harmon Kardon). I used the Eton B-100W's for the doors as recommended but Morel Maximo Ultra 402's for the rears to more closely match sensativity (86.5 dB fronts and 87.5 dB rears). I left the front center speaker connected and did not touch the under-seat speakers. The result was well worth the cost and time with much cleaner highs and mid-range.

Yesterday I finally disconnected the front center speakers. I really was not expecting to hear a difference, but . . . surprise . . . it was noticable. Apparently the center speakers had enough higher sensativity to play over the upgraded Etons and also force me to increase the fader towards the rear. With the center speakers disconnected, the front sound became even cleaner and I had to boost the fronts with the fader. That apparently also boosted power to the under-seat speakers, because I now have more base as well . . . a pleasant bonus. I am really pleased with the overall result.
I'd be curious as to how many 1 and 2-series owners preferred the sound of their HK system with the center channel disconnected. I've been in direct discussions with the car audio design group at Harman and they claim about 80% of car systems do a simple L+R mix to the center with no post processing. In a home theater perspective, this is just a wrong thing to do. I could only imagine it's equally wrong to do in a car environment where the listener has even less physical distance between speakers.

In any event, this is something I plan on researching more as I upgrade the stock system in my M240i. I suspect the next gen 2-series will offer Logic7 processing and/or the ability to adjust center channel volume based on all of the user complaints they've received over the last few years.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 07:18 PM   #633
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'd be curious as to how many 1 and 2-series owners preferred the sound of their HK system with the center channel disconnected. I've been in direct discussions with the car audio design group at Harman and they claim about 80% of car systems do a simple L+R mix to the center with no post processing. In a home theater perspective, this is just a wrong thing to do. I could only imagine it's equally wrong to do in a car environment where the listener has even less physical distance between speakers.

In any event, this is something I plan on researching more as I upgrade the stock system in my M240i. I suspect the next gen 2-series will offer Logic7 processing and/or the ability to adjust center channel volume based on all of the user complaints they've received over the last few years.
Well, the electronics and the matter of stereo separation are part of the story. There’s also the matter of the hardware. It’s a waste of electrons to have current go to that very low quality gear.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 07:25 PM   #634
Audioholics
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by selmeralto View Post
Well, the electronics and the matter of stereo separation are part of the story. There’s also the matter of the hardware. It’s a waste of electrons to have current go to that very low quality gear.
LOL agreed , hence why that gear will soon be replaced with Morel mid/tweeter drivers, Jehnert bass drivers and JL Audio Amp and DSP

Last edited by Audioholics; 10-06-2017 at 07:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 11:56 AM   #635
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
LOL agreed , hence why that gear will soon be replaced with Morel mid/tweeter drivers, Jehnert bass drivers and JL Audio Amp and DSP
Niiiice. I'm strongly considering Morel Hybrids for the Cayman, with JL Audio ZR woofers. Can't wait to hear which DSP unit you go with!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 01:51 PM   #636
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Just a heads up for those considering the Bavsound Ghost subs. The new ones will be available shortly and look sick, better performance specs too from what I?ve seen. I think if you order now you?ll automatically get v2 when they resume shipping (site says backorder).
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 12:52 PM   #637
ctemkin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

BEM-S4,

Once again, thanks for the information. I called Bavsound and confirmed that if you order the Ghost Subs now, you will get the new version. According to Jason, the new version is more efficient throughout its range.

I also learned something interesting about the Bimmertech tune that Bavsound did (apparently for both the F22 and the F30) for an HK system where the original speakers had been switched out for Bavsound speakers. The crossovers were chosen on the assumption that all the speakers were switched out, including the subwoofers. The relevance of this is that the OEM subwoofers do not have the frequency range of the Ghost subs and cannot adequately cover from 80 to 200 HZ (if I am remembering correctly what he told me). So the crossover built into the tune leaves a hole if you are using the OEM subs. I knew that although the new Stage 1 speakers and amp made a huge improvement, something still did not sound right to me, especially when I listened to orchestral music, and I believe that this was the problem. So I ordered a pair of the Ghost subs, and I will see if they make a noticeable improvement.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 01:07 PM   #638
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctemkin View Post
BEM-S4,

Once again, thanks for the information. I called Bavsound and confirmed that if you order the Ghost Subs now, you will get the new version. According to Jason, the new version is more efficient throughout its range.

I also learned something interesting about the Bimmertech tune that Bavsound did (apparently for both the F22 and the F30) for an HK system where the original speakers had been switched out for Bavsound speakers. The crossovers were chosen on the assumption that all the speakers were switched out, including the subwoofers. The relevance of this is that the OEM subwoofers do not have the frequency range of the Ghost subs and cannot adequately cover from 80 to 200 HZ (if I am remembering correctly what he told me). So the crossover built into the tune leaves a hole if you are using the OEM subs. I knew that although the new Stage 1 speakers and amp made a huge improvement, something still did not sound right to me, especially when I listened to orchestral music, and I believe that this was the problem. So I ordered a pair of the Ghost subs, and I will see if they make a noticeable improvement.
Hm. Wonder if a new tune for the amp will be required for the new subs. Will have to discuss with Jason at some point, I have been procrastinating about amp bc I don't want to do the install on a convertible (pain in the ass). I will be swapping out my Gen 1 for Gen 2 subs as soon as they arrive - will be sure to post a review after break in.
Appreciate 0