THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Noisy Pilot Sport AS3s on F22

08-09-2018, 11:56 AM   #1
estoril228
Rep
Drives: 228i xdrive M sport

Exclamation Noisy Pilot Sport AS3s on F22

Any advice is appreciated!
My second pirelli p7 cinturato blew out (side wall and all) after hitting a pothole. Fed up with the cost of the runflats (and being told my bmw not to drive on the run flats if the side wall is blown out) I changed all 4 tires to nonrunflat Michelin Pilot sport AS3s. I was excited to get these tires as they have excellent reviews. To my dismay there is a horrible howling noise that is loudest between 55-70 mph. I noticed this as soon as I got the tires on. The dealership evaluated my car after the AS3s were put on and replaced both front wheel bearings (seemingly out of other options). I’m told that after an exhaustive search there is nothing else wrong with the car including possibility of bent rims. The howling sound is still there and incredibly annoying. The dealer states I need to put on the factory OEM Pirelli P7s back on before the noise can be reassessed. This is about $1400 with no assurances of the noise being resolved. Any suggestions? I’ve got about 250 miles on the tires now and they’re just a few weeks old. The tire center said they noticed “feathering” but I’m not sure this is possible with that little mileage. Every single review regarding the AS3 states it is the most quiet tire around so I’m very skeptical that not having run flat oem tires can cause this much of an issue!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 12:14 PM   #2
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by estoril228 View Post
Any advice is appreciated!
My second pirelli p7 cinturato blew out (side wall and all) after hitting a pothole. Fed up with the cost of the runflats (and being told my bmw not to drive on the run flats if the side wall is blown out) I changed all 4 tires to nonrunflat Michelin Pilot sport AS3s. I was excited to get these tires as they have excellent reviews. To my dismay there is a horrible howling noise that is loudest between 55-70 mph. I noticed this as soon as I got the tires on. The dealership evaluated my car after the AS3s were put on and replaced both front wheel bearings (seemingly out of other options). I’m told that after an exhaustive search there is nothing else wrong with the car including possibility of bent rims. The howling sound is still there and incredibly annoying. The dealer states I need to put on the factory OEM Pirelli P7s back on before the noise can be reassessed. This is about $1400 with no assurances of the noise being resolved. Any suggestions? I’ve got about 250 miles on the tires now and they’re just a few weeks old. The tire center said they noticed “feathering” but I’m not sure this is possible with that little mileage. Every single review regarding the AS3 states it is the most quiet tire around so I’m very skeptical that not having run flat oem tires can cause this much of an issue!
I just swapped out to the AS3+ three weeks ago after a second RFT blow out too. Your howling sound is not normal. I did two roundtrip drives to Seattle from Portland totaling 800 miles over the first two weeks they were installed without incident. I was traveling at speeds of up to 95mph.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 12:20 PM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I'm in Baltimore and on the AS3's ( I'd have to figure out the mileage on them but has to be at least 7K-miles ). 32/37 PSI and someone commented the other day how quiet the car was, this just after a service at the dealer.

On my Mercedes some under body insulation ( I would often hose down the bottom of the car ) got wrapped around the drive-shaft and caused a howling sound - but that doesn't read like your issue.

Dose the sound emanate equally from both sides of the car? How about in reverse ? How about in the rain ?

Which tire center did the installation ?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 12:25 PM   #4
estoril228
Rep

Thanks Scott. You can hear it through the driving rain. Got them put on at my local Costco and they seem to have done a great job. There is no change with swaying the car. Seems on both sides of the car but doesn’t occur in reverse. Very faint at low speeds but after 55 you can really hear it
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 01:42 PM   #5
P2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M-Sport eDrive 40

There is another poster who did not like the noise. I cannot seem to grab a link on the app. Search for "Got Michelin A/S 3+ tires and I hate them"
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 12:27 AM   #6
biz4two
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 f22 n20 228i

Arrow

OP -- I recommend getting your new tires road force balanced. By doing this, they can determine if the tires are out of round, etc.

Also, make sure you are running the proper psi. A low tire can sometimes cause a weird noise.

biz
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 06:59 AM   #7
tlum235i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

I put the Michelin A/S 3+ tires on my car earlier this year after getting rid of the runflats that came on the car when I bought it. I also went through Costco and did notice some noise around those speeds, but it did go away two or three weeks after installation. In DFW, there are lots of elevated highways, and I noticed it's more prone to hear that noise when on concrete compared to some of the highways that may have asphalt. My commute each day is 90% highway with most speed limits at 70 mph, so initially I was concerned too. I'd say, if you still hear it after a month of a good amount of initial wear, then definitely have them checked out at Costco and see what they can do to replace (or try something else as a last resort).
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 07:49 PM   #8
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Just curious on your sizes, are you running stock sizes on stock wheels? What pressure's are you at? As mentioned earlier, I'd get a road force balance by a reputable place performed on them. I've had tires, including a new AS3+ recently, be out of round which can cause increased noise, noticeable vibration and sometimes just not a smooth driving experience. It can be one of those things that causes the car to just feel off somehow. I have a perfect set of AS3+'s on the car now and they're like butter, just a shade less smooth and quiet, as expected, compared to PSS's but damn close. I feel your pain, been down that road so many times...In my experience, it's always been a tire/balance that wasn't quite right. FWIW, every tire change on previous M cars took sometimes up to 3 trips to the road force machine to get right...why? It took the right dude doing the balance mostly, spending the time to rotate the tire if needed or report that excessive road force due to out of round tire. I was always able to get it right...eventually through perseverance.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 01:49 PM   #9
estoril228
Rep

Thanks for the all the input. Went to have my rims assessed and they said one was out of round by 150. This was corrected back to 20 but the noise after about 100 miles was no different. I changed to Bridgestone Potenza re980AS today and the sound is completely gone!!! They are noiser than the aS3+ for overall road noise but I’m just so thankful that annoying howling sound went away. Sad to have let the AS3s go because I can’t see how they would get so many persistently 5 star reviews if this was a problem with the tire, but the sound is gone and I’m a happy camper. Early positive reviews on the re980AS so far.
Appreciate 2
overcoil3068.50
biz4two14.50
      08-11-2018, 02:25 PM   #10
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by estoril228 View Post
Thanks for the all the input. Went to have my rims assessed and they said one was out of round by 150. This was corrected back to 20 but the noise after about 100 miles was no different. I changed to Bridgestone Potenza re980AS today and the sound is completely gone!!! They are noiser than the aS3+ for overall road noise but I’m just so thankful that annoying howling sound went away. Sad to have let the AS3s go because I can’t see how they would get so many persistently 5 star reviews if this was a problem with the tire, but the sound is gone and I’m a happy camper. Early positive reviews on the re980AS so far.
There's so many of us with the AS3+ and I couldn't be happier with them. They deserve a 5 star rating overall for what they are, a UHP all season. You and a couple others are just an isolated bunch as most love them.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 09:24 AM   #11
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Just checking that you had your alignment re-checked (assuming they checked it before replacing bearings, but might have gotten the 'bored/lazy treatment the first time). Bad alignment wouldn't be unexpected after a pothole hit that takes out a tire, and it can cause uneven tire wear that will bring on howling very quickly - that's what ended my Conti RFT's. Surprising to have it come on so fast, so I'd also be suspecting that the tires weren't quite right (it may be superstition from the old days, but I won't buy tires at the super-discounters like Costco or Walmart b/c I fear they get seconds or skip some of the final production checks).
Appreciate 0