THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 228i M Sport ZTR Track Impressions from an Instructor

10-27-2015, 02:26 PM   #1
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

228i M Sport ZTR Track Impressions from an Instructor

I am a track instructor with the BMW CCA and recently took my 228 daily driver to the track to see what it could do.

The Car: The 228 is a M Sport with the ZTR Package. This particular option setup gives the car the same suspension, brakes, and aero package as a M235, as well as deletes the fog lights and replaces them with auxiliary radiators for added cooling under track conditions.

The car does not have the Premium Package which would have added a lot of weight. The no-premium-package option is exceptional in the 2-series. All of the same adjustments exist but are manual instead of motorized. The seats are still 8-way adjustable with lots of levers. They even still have the side bolster adjustment to hold you in the seat while on track. The new faux leather feels and looks just like the standard leather except it'll last longer and won't require maintenance. Everyone thinks it's real leather. The sunroof is not missed in a small car like this and keeps the center of gravity low - which is the same reason it's not included with the M2. And even without the premium package you still get the standards like auto-rain-sensing wipers, ect.

The car is stock with stock Michelin Pilot SuperSport Street tires. It does, however, have the basic GSR ECU tune and replacement street front pads.

Specs:
2015 228i M Sport
ZTR (Track Package)
6MT (Manual)
ZTP (Tech Package)
ZLP (Lighting Package)
ZCW (Cold Weather Package)

Track: Summit Point Shenandoah Circuit

Track Impressions: As you can see this track is extremely technical and brute force power will not get you much. But unlike the map above, the straights were open without chicanes. I was able to get the 228 to 113mph consistently on the Back Straight. Also, I only ran the car in DSC Off mode.

On the track the car was extremely capable, taking aggressive braking and turn-in with stride. The light weight and perfect balance really allowed me carry more speed into a corner, through the corner, and therefor exited each corner at a higher speed than instructors in stock e92 M3s. Of course they were faster than me at the end of the straights but because I was faster than them entering the straights, I was in front. And because I could brake later, carrying more speed into the corner, I stayed in front.

Rear-end communication felt pretty good. I knew when the back end was stepping out. It always came out very progressive and predictable. No snappy, unexpected slides from the car so I was able to maintain a bit of oversteer where I wanted it.

Front-end communication was terrible. This is the worst part about the car. In it's stock configuration, there's pretty much no feel from the front tires. At the end of the day, I actually caused one of the front tires to over-heat and fail. The only way I knew it failed was from the sound of the tire - there was nothing coming back through the steering wheel. I've never modified one of these cars with the new electric steering so I'm not sure what would help. Maybe sport urethane bushings in certain places?

The 228 sounds like an electric car on the track - silent. With M3s screaming by, the 228 is passing them, and not making any fuss about it. That's kinda cool and embarrassing for the M3s but from the drivers seat, I need to look down to see what my revs are. You can't hear it or feel it, and that's no fun. This can be fixed with the M Performance Exhaust which I plan to do.

Balance is perfect. Unlike the M235, the 228 has a perfect 50/50 weight distribution. I've never been in an easier car to drift. On the skid pad, I was holding the back end out, lap after lap, with no effort. I might as well had been in cruise control reading a news paper while drifting. It was so incredibly well balanced, I can't say enough about it - perfection.

So at the end of the day, on a technical track like this, the 228 was the star of the show. In the instructor sessions I passed every stock M3, 335, modified e36 M3s, ect. I was only ever over taken by race prep'd cars, stripped, R-comps with Brembos, ect. I was very pleased with the 228, it had proven itself capable to run hard, lap after lap, and pass sports cars costing twice as much. I'm absolutely thrilled I got the 228 ZTR instead of a M235. Low weight + balance = speed, even the 420hp of e92 M3s couldn't make up the difference between corners. Then put it in comfort mode and drive home at 36MPG. Can't beat that.

But as for the fun factor, the most important factor, it's merely OK. The lack of feeling from the steering wheel and over-all lack of theater means, even though it's easy to put down fast lap times and make others think twice about how fast they thought their car was, it's a bit dull. My euro-modified 95 e36 M3 will continue to be my standard track day car unless it, inevitably, breaks down. In which case I'll bring out Mr Reliable, the 228 ZTR.

Update: I took the 228 out for a day at Summit Point - Jefferson Circuit and reconfirmed all of the above.

The Jefferson is a 1.7 mile track with 3 straights. This time the BMW M Laptimer app was able to get a GPS lock and record accurate data. My average lap time (while passing other cars on the track) was 1:27. The 228 is still bone stock, with factory summer tires, though it does have the most conservative GSR tune. I was driving in DSC OFF mode.

Again, the 228 passed everything on the track that was stock. But that could be the drivers so to get a good idea of it's capabilities, I matched the car up with a modified e92 M3, running a BBK and R comps. The driver was another well experienced instructor.

Within the first few laps I would have been able to pass him but that's because he had to wait for his R comps to warm up while my street tires warm up halfway through lap 1. I stayed behind and waited. Lap 3, his R comps are warm and he's starting to push it as his rear view mirror is still full of 228. Lap 4, he's pushing the M3 to 100%, pulling away from me in the straights but I catch him in the twisties, I'm pushing the 228 to 105% as managing understeer and oversteer in this light weight and perfectly balanced car is really easy. Lap 5, my street tires are getting too hot and are not giving me as much grip, he pulls away by about 0.5 seconds. Lap 6, his lead gains another 0.5 seconds and lap times are getting consistent. Lap 7, an e46 M3 blew an engine, standing black flag.

I get back to the paddock and comments from those watching are, "Man you were moving, is that a M235?" "Nope, 228 with the little 2 liter." They look confused.

Throughout the day I was able to reconfirm that weight and balance make a MASSIVE difference on the track and that the difference between ~250hp and ~400hp is negligible on your average race track. Sure, it'll make a difference if you're running VIR full course with the mile long straight-away but even that's rare. Usually you're on either the North loop or South loop. I believe if the 228 were on R comps it would have been unstoppable

I hope this information is helpful to some.

I was trying to find lap times to compare to. On YouTube I found a Porsche GT3 that was running 1:27 lap times as well, that's the best I could find.

Last edited by DarkstarZero; 04-11-2016 at 03:07 PM..
Appreciate 7
      10-27-2015, 02:38 PM   #2
huma
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: U11 one day

How did the lap times compare to your 328xi wagon?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 02:47 PM   #3
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 718 Cayman

Awesome!

If I were to get a 228 I'd option it exactly how you did. I'm in love with the 228's M-Sport wheels as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 03:09 PM   #4
adema24
Private
Rep
Drives: 228i

Minus the tech package, same configuration as mine! Wonderful review, very detailed. If I could ever get off work, the track is first place I'm going.

In the track section, the m3/4 lower control arms are a popular upgrade. Maybe that will help with front end feel and not shredding a tire.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 03:11 PM   #5
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma View Post
How did the lap times compare to your 328xi wagon?
I did the 328xi on Summit Point Main, a different track. Also, as you can see in the pictures, the M Lap Timer app couldn't get a GPS lock so it wasn't able to capture lap times
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 03:14 PM   #6
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adema24 View Post
In the track section, the m3/4 lower control arms are a popular upgrade. Maybe that will help with front end feel and not shredding a tire.
Thanks, I'll look into that! The whole steering setup in the 2 series is just awful for track and autocross use.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 03:26 PM   #7
bluemeanie
Private
Rep
Drives: 228i=awesome

Hey, nice review! I was out with your club running in B group with my yellow cayman at the Shenandoah event (my favorite track). I almost used my 228i with MSport and THP instead, but was able to fix a mechanical problem on the Cayman in time.

I have tried the 228i over on Summit Main for one session, and Echo your comments about the fabulous balance of the car. Like you, I hate the absence of aural feedback from the engine. I also dislike the lack of a digital speed display and a current gear display. The dang car only tells you what gear it thinks you should be in! (Usually 6th).

But is does do its job going around the track and is serviceable as a backup track car. Whether the drivetrain would handle an entire season of thrashing, I'm not sure.

Curious, if you have figured out what happened to the tire? I've read that MPSS don't like the intense heat cycles associated with track use and can chunk pretty badly. Of course it was not particularly warm, so maybe the problem is something else.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 03:52 PM   #8
Ramsen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i M-Sport 6MT

How are you getting a 228i M performance exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 03:54 PM   #9
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemeanie View Post
Hey, nice review! I was out with your club running in B group with my yellow cayman at the Shenandoah event (my favorite track). I almost used my 228i with MSport and THP instead, but was able to fix a mechanical problem on the Cayman in time.

Curious, if you have figured out what happened to the tire? I've read that MPSS don't like the intense heat cycles associated with track use and can chunk pretty badly. Of course it was not particularly warm, so maybe the problem is something else.
Thanks! My student in B group was in the '91 325i. I think you passed us a few times, obviously

I had the tire pressures set to what I would usually have on track tires which was too low for these street tires. That made the outside front tire heat up even more. They needed to be pumped up WAY over stock pressures. The SuperSports get up to temperature really fast but cannot maintain it like PS2s or track tires. So they're great for autocross or 5 laps but can't handle 20 minutes of pure track abuse so this one just gave out.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 03:57 PM   #10
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsen View Post
How are you getting a 228i M performance exhaust?
328 M performance exhaust fits once you cut the back-side of tips I think 1", there's threads about it on here.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 05:05 PM   #11
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

What a great endorsement of the sporting character of the 228i M Sport with THP, thank you! It is such a capable driver's car with really impressive torque output from low to high on the tach. The front end does not "speak to me" either when cornering and I have not tried to find the limit because it seems to me that it will understeer. I do not intend to track mine as it is my DD and is fully loaded but I may well take the BMW M driving school so that I can learn how to corner fast but safely in a car whose steering assistance and numb front end tend to discourage experimentation. Thanks again for the great write-up and illustrations.

Last edited by BarryJI; 10-27-2015 at 05:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 06:02 PM   #12
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkstarZero View Post
Thanks! My student in B group was in the '91 325i. I think you passed us a few times, obviously

I had the tire pressures set to what I would usually have on track tires which was too low for these street tires. That made the outside front tire heat up even more. They needed to be pumped up WAY over stock pressures. The SuperSports get up to temperature really fast but cannot maintain it like PS2s or track tires. So they're great for autocross or 5 laps but can't handle 20 minutes of pure track abuse so this one just gave out.
Out of curiosity, what do you inflate your tires to for DD use?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 06:34 PM   #13
caycep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Sort of wondering, if parts from the M2 steering rack become available, maybe that can replace the stock 228i rack. But that seems like it would be a non-trivial mod
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 10:23 PM   #14
BMW335iOn18s
Resident BMW Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 CS SMB

I'd say people should go for the m235i if they want to go to the track. Even if it's slightly nose heavy, the engine is very audible in cabin (special thanks to ASD) and there's a lot of steering feed back. I feel a lot through the steering in my car, and it even tramlines too. Sure, it's no hydraulic e92, but I wouldn't call it F10 numb. A 328xi F30 genuinely has NO feedback, you feel nothing, but not an M235i.
rich8566608.50
      10-27-2015, 10:58 PM   #15
uberspeed
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Great review, thanks for the write-up! Since I no longer track I've been wondering for DD use is it beneficial to have the THP? I was just thinking 228i M Sport with staggered tires and the lighting package, would get the brakes as well if they offered them as a standalone option like they did back in '14.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 11:09 PM   #16
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberspeed View Post
Great review, thanks for the write-up! Since I no longer track I've been wondering for DD use is it beneficial to have the THP? I was just thinking 228i M Sport with staggered tires and the lighting package, would get the brakes as well if they offered them as a standalone option like they did back in '14.
Combination of preference and lifestyle will determine. I enjoy the Variable Sport Steering (response, not the missing feel) and MSport brakes in daily use, as well as the Sport chassis calibration...feels great to me, but I don't track my car. You can't get the brakes and steering any other way in a 228i, to my knowledge.

The other MAJOR benefit is the range from Comfort to Sport. Mrs. Sportstick is far happier with us taking my car (versus her Audi A6) if I put mine in Comfort setting. When I'm alone, I'm always in Sport. Two cars in one.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 11:56 PM   #17
uberspeed
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Combination of preference and lifestyle will determine. I enjoy the Variable Sport Steering (response, not the missing feel) and MSport brakes in daily use, as well as the Sport chassis calibration...feels great to me, but I don't track my car. You can't get the brakes and steering any other way in a 228i, to my knowledge.

The other MAJOR benefit is the range from Comfort to Sport. Mrs. Sportstick is far happier with us taking my car (versus her Audi A6) if I put mine in Comfort setting. When I'm alone, I'm always in Sport. Two cars in one.
VSS and DHP just sound like potential headaches down the road and complications vs the simpler setup in the standard M Sport suspension. I know that sounds ass backwards for an IT geek but I've been down that road with past cars and want to keep it simple since I plan on keeping it for a while. I figure the delta in feel is much greater when it has the DHP, but since I no longer have a Mrs. and don't anticipate myself going down that road again, whoever rides in my car will be happy with whatever setting I choose or they may drive themselves

The deliberation on the THP is simply because since I have had rawer vehicles that I autocrossed with I do miss some of the visceral feedback. My current 328i is comfortable yes but feels a bit too bargeish so now I want to dial it back a bit the other way again taking into account it will only serve as a daily driver. I like the brakes (as I mentioned before, shame they no longer offer it as a single option like they did in 2014 MY), I like the tires and even the darker rims but see VSS and DHP as negatives. Finding a THP equipped 228i to testdrive is damn near impossible unfortunately but I did want the OP's perspective since he tracks and then DD's.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 11:58 PM   #18
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW335iOn18s View Post
I'd say people should go for the m235i if they want to go to the track.
I get it. I do. I've driven both, the M235 is certainly more common among students. But I know for certain, on a technical track like this, which is what most track days will be on, the 228 ZTR package is faster.

So when the silent 4 cylinder brother passes your more expensive car, will it bother you?

It shouldn't.

You should enjoy the power and noise in your M235.

But as a track fiend, it would bother me. It's an addiction. A sickness. A sickness where the only cure is probably a M2
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 12:15 AM   #19
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberspeed View Post
Thanks!

Is it beneficial to have ZTR (Track Package) for DD? Hmm... That's a tough one.

In my daily commute I usually have everything in standard comfort mode for most of the time. When I go to lunch and take my coworkers with me, it's in comfort mode. Some highway, some stop and go, ect. boring. But then when there's corners, say on ramps and off ramps, stop lights with 90 deg turns, in the rain, ect. DSC goes off, sport suspension is on, and smiles abound kicking the back end out on public roads

Sure I could do all of that with regular M Sport suspension. The ride would be a bit stiffer for my co-workers, who are already weary of riding with me to lunch Driving the car around DC in Spring would be awful due to the massive pot holes that plaque the area. But otherwise fine.

There's also the Brembo brakes that come with the ZTR package. They look and perform amazing. They're also extremely easy to replace pads on. Slide the old pad out, slide the new pad in, done. No taking the caliper off, holding it up with bungee cords and boxes, spending an hour in the garage, it's awesome.

So... to me, yeah, the ZTR package is worth it.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 12:43 AM   #20
uberspeed
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks!

Is it beneficial to have ZTR (Track Package) for DD? Hmm... That's a tough one.

In my daily commute I usually have everything in standard comfort mode for most of the time. When I go to lunch and take my coworkers with me, it's in comfort mode. Some highway, some stop and go, ect. boring. But then when there's corners, say on ramps and off ramps, stop lights with 90 deg turns, in the rain, ect. DSC goes off, sport suspension is on, and smiles abound kicking the back end out on public roads

Sure I could do all of that with regular M Sport suspension. The ride would be a bit stiffer for my co-workers, who are already weary of riding with me to lunch Driving the car around DC in Spring would be awful due to the massive pot holes that plaque the area. But otherwise fine.

There's also the Brembo brakes that come with the ZTR package. They look and perform amazing. They're also extremely easy to replace pads on. Slide the old pad out, slide the new pad in, done. No taking the caliper off, holding it up with bungee cords and boxes, spending an hour in the garage, it's awesome.

So... to me, yeah, the ZTR package is worth it.
Thank you for that assessment, sounds like the brakes make too strong a case and the adaptive suspension is actually worth it. Damn you BMW...
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 06:15 AM   #21
BMW335iOn18s
Resident BMW Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 CS SMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkstarZero
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW335iOn18s View Post
I'd say people should go for the m235i if they want to go to the track.
I get it. I do. I've driven both, the M235 is certainly more common among students. But I know for certain, on a technical track like this, which is what most track days will be on, the 228 ZTR package is faster.

So when the silent 4 cylinder brother passes your more expensive car, will it bother you?

It shouldn't.

You should enjoy the power and noise in your M235.

But as a track fiend, it would bother me. It's an addiction. A sickness. A sickness where the only cure is probably a M2
Huh? I don't care if you pass me. But I'm sure you care im having more fun in my car with more feedback and noise. LOL. You can pass all the M3s you want, it doesn't make your car superior or more fun. If the 228i was a better car, BMW would have made an M228i instead of an M235i.
      10-28-2015, 07:08 AM   #22
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Weird you posted these two statements in the same post.

I think the 228 vs M235i is negligible on a technical track such as this. Your point was that the 228 is faster than most others due to perfect weight distribution due to a 4 cylinder as opposed to a 6 and it being lighter. You seem to have the same reasoning as to why the 228 would be faster than the M235i for the same reasons.. but then say your only cure would be to get an M2? This makes no sense to me. Albeit the M2 will definitely better, I don't think the gap between the 235->M2 is as large as the 228->235 using your 'weight/weight distribution' as the sole comparisons between the two. The M2 will still have the straight 6 in the front of the car, with likely still slightly un-perfect weight distribution. (Usually the biggest reason people say they bought the 228 instead, like yourself) Not starting an argument, just pointing out what I see as flawed logic.
Appreciate 0