THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery What type of tires come on the M235i?

05-21-2015, 08:58 PM   #1
MegaMatt3
Bimmer Candidate
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i

What type of tires come on the M235i?

Does it depend on where you live? All the reviews I read talk about the "sticky" Pilot Super Sports (PSS) that are on the car they're driving, but I've also read they come with run-flats (RFTs). Are the PSSs RFTs?

I'm very uninformed when it comes to tires. All I know is what I read on the interwebs and this forum, which tells me RFTs are the devil. I have a friend with a 335is that says the same thing.

I'm trying to figure out what to order my car with. I live in MD, if that's important. If I need to ask for something special, I'm assuming the dealer will charge me for it?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 09:03 PM   #2
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2022 992 C2S Cab

You need to select - no charge - the MPSS on the order sheet to ensure to get them. Otherwise you may end up with RFT. If you get RFT max speed is also further limited (130 vs 155 mph - not that it matters in theU.S.).
      05-22-2015, 03:24 PM   #3
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

The MPSS are summer tires. You need to specify them when ordering. Keep in mind since you are in MD you would need to purchase all season or snow tires to use in the winter since summer tires become generally unsafe below ~40 degrees and are downright dangerous in actual snow.

Most people will purchase a separate set of wheels to use for their winter set since mounting and un mounting tires repeatedly is not good for the tires. A cheap set of wheels can be found on the forums here or online. You would also ideally want a duplicate set of TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) sensors for the winter tires so you can stay aware if your tire pressures go too low or have a flat.
      05-22-2015, 06:57 PM   #4
MegaMatt3
Bimmer Candidate
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon
The MPSS are summer tires. You need to specify them when ordering. Keep in mind since you are in MD you would need to purchase all season or snow tires to use in the winter since summer tires become generally unsafe below ~40 degrees and are downright dangerous in actual snow.

Most people will purchase a separate set of wheels to use for their winter set since mounting and un mounting tires repeatedly is not good for the tires. A cheap set of wheels can be found on the forums here or online. You would also ideally want a duplicate set of TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) sensors for the winter tires so you can stay aware if your tire pressures go too low or have a flat.
Thanks for the info, but yikes! $$
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 09:06 PM   #5
quinntheskimo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

"Double Spoke Ferric Gray light alloy wheels (Style 436M), 18 x 7.5 front, 18 x 8.0 rear; and 225/40 front, 245/35 rear Michelin Pilot Super Sport performance tires" is on the standard feature list - I dont think you have to select MPSS, it comes automatically. I think you would have to select RFT if you wanted those
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 07:11 AM   #6
MegaMatt3
Bimmer Candidate
United_States
Rep

So here's what I'm thinking. Let me know if this is a terrible idea. If I didn't want to go the route of having a separate set of wheels and tires for the summer and winter, that would mean just doing all-season tires, right? Also, I'll be taking delivery in the winter months here in MD. So it seems like my best option is to order it with the RFTs, let those wear out, then replace them with all-seasons.

Anything wrong with that plan? Drawbacks?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 07:23 AM   #7
Michall
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i

If you want to run 2 separate sets of wheels/tires for winter and summer order your car with MPSS. If it is delivered during the winter just buy a set of winter tires in advance. I'm located in the Chicagoland area and I ordered it with MPSS tires. Is your car an RWD or XDrive?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 07:37 AM   #8
MegaMatt3
Bimmer Candidate
United_States
Rep

Haven't ordered it yet, but RWD. And again, I *don't* think I want to have separate sets of summer and winter tires. It sounds silly to list money as the reason for that when the car is $50k, but having separate sets when I could just have all-seasons seems sort of unnecessary. I get that you get the most utility out of each set doing it that way, but again, why not do a less expensive alternative? Just trying to figure out if that's reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 08:46 AM   #9
Supernaut
Little Deuce Coupe
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Garage List
Like you probably read, run-flats are louder, more expensive and don't ride or grip as well as a comparable non-RFT. They are also less capable in snow than a dedicated snow tire. If you are willing to sacrifice some grip (summer and winter) and the top speed for all-season capability, your plan is sound. If you aren't tracking the car, you probably won't notice the losses in the summer. You're likely driving on all-seasons in the snow already, so you know what you're getting into there.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 08:50 AM   #10
scottyn
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 228i M-sport THP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michall View Post
If you want to run 2 separate sets of wheels/tires for winter and summer order your car with MPSS. If it is delivered during the winter just buy a set of winter tires in advance. I'm located in the Chicagoland area and I ordered it with MPSS tires. Is your car an RWD or XDrive?
This. If it's AWD you may be able to get away with AS in the snow, but I wouldn't even think about it in a RWD car.

And, you don't need expensive wheels or TMS sensors for winter tires (I've never had a sensor to tell me the amount of air in my tires...and it's never been a problem). I'm sure you can easily find a square set of 17" rims for <$500. This is far less than the upgrade to xDrive and lets you have the best tires for the conditions as opposed to the compromise of an AS.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 02:23 PM   #11
Michall
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMatt3 View Post
Haven't ordered it yet, but RWD. And again, I *don't* think I want to have separate sets of summer and winter tires. It sounds silly to list money as the reason for that when the car is $50k, but having separate sets when I could just have all-seasons seems sort of unnecessary. I get that you get the most utility out of each set doing it that way, but again, why not do a less expensive alternative? Just trying to figure out if that's reasonable.
I ordered RWD and I'll be buying a dedicated set of 17" winter wheels/tires in a few months.
2 sets of dedicated tires will last longer than your AS tires. Also a set of steelies with winter tires is not going to cost you that much and you will have the best performance for the cold and hot seasons. But that's just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 04:08 PM   #12
MegaMatt3
Bimmer Candidate
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michall
Quote:
I ordered RWD and I'll be buying a dedicated set of 17" winter wheels/tires in a few months.
2 sets of dedicated tires will last longer than your AS tires. Also a set of steelies with winter tires is not going to cost you that much and you will have the best performance for the cold and hot seasons. But that's just my opinion.
So when you buy a dedicated set of winter tires and wheels, do you just buy another set of the same wheels it comes with, or something different?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 04:27 PM   #13
Michall
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So when you buy a dedicated set of winter tires and wheels, do you just buy another set of the same wheels it comes with, or something different?
Different setup. The cheapest one will be a set of 17" steelies with winter tires.
Smaller winter wheels/tires>bigger wheels/tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/snow/WinterT...&performance=W
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 05:29 PM   #14
MegaMatt3
Bimmer Candidate
United_States
Rep

Still new to some of the terminology. I've read "square set" and "steelies". Can someone explain what those terms means?

Square set = 4?
Steelies = Less expensive steel wheels?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 05:33 PM   #15
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Square is where all 4 tires are the same width.

The tires on the 235 are staggered if you don't get run-flats which means the rears are wider.

Steelies are steel wheels that are cheaper and are normally used for cheap winter wheel/tire setups.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 01:53 PM   #16
MegaMatt3
Bimmer Candidate
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerostar View Post
Square is where all 4 tires are the same width.

The tires on the 235 are staggered if you don't get run-flats which means the rears are wider.

Steelies are steel wheels that are cheaper and are normally used for cheap winter wheel/tire setups.
Thanks for the clarification.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 01:53 PM   #17
MegaMatt3
Bimmer Candidate
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michall View Post
I'd be curious to know what you end up getting...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 01:54 PM   #18
MegaMatt3
Bimmer Candidate
United_States
Rep

So I'll stick with the 17" winter tire setup instead of the 18", based on feedback here. Is there any method to the madness in choosing winter wheel/tire setups? Should I just look at price and style?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 01:56 PM   #19
MegaMatt3
Bimmer Candidate
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post

You mentioned a set of wheels could be found on the forums here. Is that a specific area?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 12:09 PM   #20
iamdabest1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 m3 dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by German1967
You need to select - no charge - the MPSS on the order sheet to ensure to get them. Otherwise you may end up with RFT. If you get RFT max speed is also further limited (130 vs 155 mph - not that it matters in theU.S.).
I got run flat tires but they removed the speed limiter of 130mph, Living in Nyc I actually wanted the all season setup .. The 18's that come with the car don't look great imo, I'd rather buy nice after market 19's and put summer tires on those.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 01:49 PM   #21
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
You mentioned a set of wheels could be found on the forums here. Is that a specific area?
Scroll down and you will see the members classifieds section with a sub section for wheels.

Plenty of people are parting out older wheels. I have a set myself from my F30 I'm parting out but no good way to ship them.

Just be careful if you downsize the wheels I'm not sure if all 17" wheels will clear the brakes properly.
      05-27-2015, 06:52 PM   #22
MegaMatt3
Bimmer Candidate
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon
Quote:
Scroll down and you will see the members classifieds section with a sub section for wheels.

Plenty of people are parting out older wheels. I have a set myself from my F30 I'm parting out but no good way to ship them.

Just be careful if you downsize the wheels I'm not sure if all 17" wheels will clear the brakes properly.
Not sure about 17" in general? Tire Rack gives me options for both 17s and 18s, and I assume Tire Rack knows all.
Appreciate 0