THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Blower working but very little air

09-21-2019, 08:44 PM   #23
Nitrof23MT
Rep
Drives: 228ix convert, 528i, x3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccsco View Post
Coming home yesterday I had something odd happen. The air out of the vents slowed down to almost nothing ( but some did come out and it was cold from the AC) I changed from auto to manual and tried all the vent possibilities but no matter what very little air came through the vents. I turned the fan up and could hear it but yet no more air came out any vent. When I got home I searched the forum and internet and did not find anything to cause this. I went out to the car after maybe 30 minutes and it was working fine. I am mixed on taking it in as it works now. Anyone ever experience this, or have any ideas?
This happens exactly to my 2015 228 but only on long trips 3+ hours. I suspect it has something to do with the blower going bad. I say this based on my experience with my 1996 528i that has 300k miles. I have had to replace the blower couple times and it would always fix the issue. Was always easy to fix on the 528 could do it myself...not sure with the 228 as it's much newer and things are more complicated...

I will have to try what others mentioned with the update before I try changing the blower. That would be an easy fix
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 09:39 AM   #24
delvec03
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i Sport/ DSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrof23MT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccsco View Post
Coming home yesterday I had something odd happen. The air out of the vents slowed down to almost nothing ( but some did come out and it was cold from the AC) I changed from auto to manual and tried all the vent possibilities but no matter what very little air came through the vents. I turned the fan up and could hear it but yet no more air came out any vent. When I got home I searched the forum and internet and did not find anything to cause this. I went out to the car after maybe 30 minutes and it was working fine. I am mixed on taking it in as it works now. Anyone ever experience this, or have any ideas?
This happens exactly to my 2015 228 but only on long trips 3+ hours. I suspect it has something to do with the blower going bad. I say this based on my experience with my 1996 528i that has 300k miles. I have had to replace the blower couple times and it would always fix the issue. Was always easy to fix on the 528 could do it myself...not sure with the 228 as it's much newer and things are more complicated...

I will have to try what others mentioned with the update before I try changing the blower. That would be an easy fix
it's your evap coil freezing. see previous posts for fixes .
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 10:00 AM   #25
Nitrof23MT
Rep
Drives: 228ix convert, 528i, x3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvec03 View Post
"to fix, turn the AC off, recirc the air, and change to manual high. anything to get the ice to melt." Are you suggesting this is the fix? Guess I'm a bit lost...are there any parts that need replacing?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 08:37 PM   #26
delvec03
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i Sport/ DSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrof23MT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by delvec03 View Post
"to fix, turn the AC off, recirc the air, and change to manual high. anything to get the ice to melt." Are you suggesting this is the fix? Guess I'm a bit lost...are there any parts that need replacing?
that's the easy fix if you're out of warranty and do to mess with the software "update"

another option is to install the evap temp probe spacer for the F30. I did this option and could have been fine, not sure I've driven in the right temperature conditions tho...it's pretty particular.

3rd choice is to operate your ac more prudently to prevent freezing, ie.. higher air flow.
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2019, 12:56 PM   #27
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

I'm having the same issue with the left side vents blowing out much less air than the right side vents. Rather annoying.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 03:59 PM   #28
TajoMan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240 xdrive, X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime503 View Post
I'm having the same issue with the left side vents blowing out much less air than the right side vents. Rather annoying.
This can be different issue.
if air flow is less only on one vent (or only one side), it's more likely the air distribution door malfunction inside of the HVAC module.
It can be actuator or stuck door itself.
Appreciate 0