THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB Replacing F23 Rear Turn Signal Bulb

06-16-2023, 04:11 PM   #1
Dr. Doom
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Replacing F23 Rear Turn Signal Bulb

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere - I promise I searched. I am getting a malfunction on a rear turn signal on an F23 (2018 230i). I removed the tail light assembly, but can't figure out how to get to the bulbs. There are 9 Torx screws, but removing them doesn't seem to loosen anything. The reverse bulb has its own access panel, but all other bulbs are inside the housing. Can anyone share some wisdom, please? (I already separated the plastic shroud that contains the bold covers.)
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2023, 08:41 AM   #2
jzeiler4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M240i xDrive vert

The reverse light is the only one using a bulb, the rest are LED's. They have a very long life so your issue may be in the wiring.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2023, 09:18 AM   #3
Dr. Doom
Rep

Garage List
Thanks - that would make sense. Not sure why the bulb makers list a bulb for it, but I certainly can't see anything looking through the lens. The error has been intermittent, so I guess I'll keep an eye on it.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 08:08 AM   #4
Ph4zed
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i xDrive

Having the same issue with my ‘18. I had the issue on one of my rear turn signals a couple years ago. Now I’m having it again, but can’t remember if it’s the same turn signal or not. I believe it was an electrical issue back then, and because it’s also intermittent on mine, I’m thinking it’s again an electrical issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 08:14 AM   #5
Dr. Doom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph4zed View Post
Having the same issue with my ‘18. I had the issue on one of my rear turn signals a couple years ago. Now I’m having it again, but can’t remember if it’s the same turn signal or not. I believe it was an electrical issue back then, and because it’s also intermittent on mine, I’m thinking it’s again an electrical issue.
Yeah, I pulled the light housing, cleaned the connection (don't think that was the issue - just did it as a matter of course), and reinstalled. I haven't had the issue since, so I'm assuming it was just a gremlin in the electrical system.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 10:06 AM   #6
bensanford
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Grey '18 230i & Grey '21 330ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doom View Post
Yeah, I pulled the light housing, cleaned the connection (don't think that was the issue - just did it as a matter of course), and reinstalled. I haven't had the issue since, so I'm assuming it was just a gremlin in the electrical system.
I am getting a (perhaps?) similar intermittent problem with my right rear turn signal. When I turn the signal on, it will flash once (that sounds normal), and then goes to a rapid flashing that is maybe 2x or 3x the normal flashing rate - and I get a turn-signal malfunction warning on the dashboard. This only happen with the turning right turn signal and is intermittent. Sometimes I can just turn the turn signal off and back on and it will be fine.

Is this similar to the issue you had?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 12:18 PM   #7
Dr. Doom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bensanford View Post
I am getting a (perhaps?) similar intermittent problem with my right rear turn signal. When I turn the signal on, it will flash once (that sounds normal), and then goes to a rapid flashing that is maybe 2x or 3x the normal flashing rate - and I get a turn-signal malfunction warning on the dashboard. This only happen with the turning right turn signal and is intermittent. Sometimes I can just turn the turn signal off and back on and it will be fine.

I don't recall if mine flashed rapidly, but otherwise yes, that sounds similar. And though likely just a coincidence, mine was the right signal as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 10:43 PM   #8
Ph4zed
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensanford View Post

Almost the exact same issue as me. I think I had it on the right initially a couple years back (maybe around 25k miles) and it was under warranty at the time so the dealership took care of it. This time the same thing is happening again for me, but now it’s the left signal. Oddly enough it hasn’t happened in the last few days, so we’ll see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 12:35 PM   #9
signalboosters
Signalboosters
Rep
Drives: BMW i7

Locate the bulb holder: Inside the tail light assembly, there should be a bulb holder for each bulb. These holders are usually twist-locked into place.

Twist and remove: Once you've located the bulb holder, you may need to twist it counterclockwise (usually a quarter turn) to unlock it. After that, you should be able to pull the bulb holder out.

Replace the bulb: After removing the bulb holder, you can then access the specific bulb that needs replacement. Carefully replace the malfunctioning bulb with a new one.

Reassemble: Reverse the steps to put everything back together. Insert the bulb holder back into the housing and twist it clockwise to lock it in place. Ensure everything is secure before reattaching the tail light assembly.
Appreciate 0