THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) Messed up my vert roof :(

01-31-2024, 12:13 PM   #1
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230 2020 vert F23

Messed up my vert roof :(

So about a week or so ago I was trying to get hard impacted ice off the top,
was using the snow scraper part of the brush, wasd on hard.
And I messed up, I stopped half way through, as I realised I could be damaging the top.

Now all over on half the top I have like gouge/lines marks, the thing is I can live with the marks as when it's wet they seem ok, but there are white lines going in the marks

I tried jet washing, and also some vert top cleaner with a soft, then hard bristled brush and also a nail brush, I didnt want to go to hard

It's all drying off now, but initially it looks like the marks are still there, including the white.

Do I need to get my detail guy to look at it and maybe use a pollisher/mechanical brush

Will try and get some pictures, am so mad with myself.

Not sure if I can get a dye on it, which may be hard to match up and possibly just wear out

thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 04:08 PM   #2
Mike F.
Nobody in particular
Rep
Drives: '20 M240i

Yikes - sorry to hear that. Hope those marks come off without too much more effort.
Appreciate 1
nazali1309.50
      01-31-2024, 07:52 PM   #3
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

I went out and tried rubbing hard on one of the lines with a MF towel wrapped around my finger and did seem to help.

I'm seeing my detailer tomorrow, I don't want to guess and make things worse.

I'm hoping thoes wheel doodads you see them putting on drills, or sanding DA's , I dont mean sanders, I think it needs some finessing with a professional tool, rather than a by hand and brush

It looks a wee bit better I must say, I was scared to exert to much preassure in case I trashed the roof

Man, I can't seem to get a break, first my hood and now my top

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 02:29 PM   #4
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

OK here's the pics, in the last one you can see I was sucessful in "rubbing" it out

I've decided to do the hard work myself, as I got laid off, I'm trying to keep expenses down, plus it's a teach myself a lesson not to do this crap again.

Also though I didnt get a quote, he's going to charge me at least the price of a detail (say $80 plus tax) and I need to spend $50 on cab fair to and fro, so at least a min of $130... so I've finally found a non-rude purpose for my middle finger

Finger and MF cloth is LONG winded but dooable, not sure why the brushes DONT take them out ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 02:30 PM   #5
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

I'm going to say the scrub has made an impact and some lines are gone and the remaining ones are a bit lighter
Appreciate 1
Mike F.103.00