THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB Pre purchase maintenance checklist?

10-27-2023, 04:12 PM   #1
Forsak87
Registered
Rep
Drives: AudiA4

Pre purchase maintenance checklist?

I am interested in purchasing my first BMW. It is a 2016 m235i. It looks like it is in great condition, one owner, and low miles (38K) but I am unsure of what kind of maintenance should I make sure it was done. Besides oil changes every 5k, and brake fluid change every 2-3 years, anything else I should ask about?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2023, 07:57 AM   #2
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

If it's a one-owner car that's a great start - you should have access to all of the service records. Oil changes at 5k miles is a thing of the past - I'm sure the car in question didn't have that done unless the owner did it. With condition-based service (CBS) the car could go 15k miles before the dealer changed it. Probably ready for a coolant change/flush if it hasn't been done.

Take it to Terry for a pre-purchase inspection: https://www.terrysaytherauto.com/
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining

Last edited by John in VA; 10-28-2023 at 10:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2023, 12:11 PM   #3
Forsak87
Registered
Rep
Drives: AudiA4

Thank you! If I purchase this one, it would be out of state so I need a different shop for a PPI. But great to know a good shop in town for future services!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2023, 08:40 AM   #4
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Try www.bimrs.org for a reputable indie shop that specialized in bimmers.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 05:57 AM   #5
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Hahahaha, 5k oil changes are a thing of the past?

REALLY?

Not so... Because they haven't invented a frictionless metal, or oil that doesn't break down! Yes, synthetic oil has better longevity! But the 10k oil change interval was created by the vehicle manufacturer/dealers when they decided to perform the oil change on their arm...

5k oil changes are smart, along with filters changed at each oil change! There's a wise man involved with the BMW Club of America that created an "alternate" BMW maintenance plan. Question is this... Are you planning to "keep" your vehicle or drive it like you stole it and dump it off to some unsuspecting buyer at a later time? Of keeping, then maintain it that way! Follow old school mentality, not new jibberish created by dealers worried about their bottom line (cost).

Search the Internet or here for Mike Miller Alternative Maintenance Schedule. There's one out there too that's expanded for keeping the car over 100k... Some antiquated items like power steering fluid, lol, but otherwise still applicable!

Bottom line is many of those recommend timelines, by manufacturer, etc, must be looked at with a bit of scepticism. Some will recommend earlier intervals for the purpose of $, and some will recommend extending them for the same reason $... Whether they're making it or it's costing them $. So, when you get into the nitty gritty side of things and learn about when these items actual break down, when their useful lifetime has expired and actually need to be replaced, then you get the proper use out of them. 5k for oil changes a thing of the past... Again, the laughs made my day!

I just clocked 15k miles and have changed my oil 5x! $ well spent! Lol, and oh, yes, I do my own maintenance by the way

Good Luck and Enjoy!
Appreciate 2
celsdogg323.00
      10-30-2023, 07:26 AM   #6
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolone2 View Post
Hahahaha, 5k oil changes are a thing of the past?
REALLY?
Glad you got a chuckle! I have also always done my own maintenance over the past 43 years of BMW ownership (and 41 years of BMW club membership - I've even met Mike Miller!).

Since changing to synthetic oil in the E46s and E39, as supplied by the factory, I change at 7.5k with a new filter. The 2002tii and E28s still run on dino oil with changes at 5k. I was referencing the car the OP was interested in, doubting that it had 5k oil service intervals.
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining

Last edited by John in VA; 10-30-2023 at 07:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 04:33 PM   #7
jzeiler4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M240i xDrive vert

FWIW I followed my E46 computers guide for oil changes and they averaged 12-15,000 on the interval. I put 120,000 on the car (bought it at 93,000) and never had an issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2023, 02:50 PM   #8
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

7.5k is the max I would allow it to go when unable to get to it (oil change)... Happy to see a loyal customer! Changing my oil just as long, and is the easiest and cheapest thing to do that pays dividends! But even with synthetic, I stick to 5k and I'm happy to do so.

12-15k intervals... Hahaha, would hate to see the inside of that engine! History prior to you owning it in all probability lends to the "no problem" rule. You keep that interval and I guarantee accelerated ring wear and oil burning in your future! Lol
Appreciate 0