THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) Remove bonnet to paint

07-07-2023, 08:26 PM   #1
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230 2020 vert F23

Remove bonnet to paint

OK your thoughts.

The long running bonnet scratch saga, my detailer (who does bodywork and accident) said the only 100% way is to paint the hood.

Wait, am I calling it a Hood or a Bonnet ?

He's quoted me $800, paint is met blk sapphire

Now, he said just "oh yeah I can fix that, get the bonnet off, spray it done and dusted 2 or 3 days 800 bucks"

So I'm going whoa, why do you need to take the bonnet off.

I've had bad experiences with 3rd parties trying to work on my car so got very nervous about him doing that, so the question

Does the hood really need to come off? Is that something you'd trust to a non BMW shop ? I'm even wondering if I can just life with the OCD staring me in the face if I end up with something broken or crooked ?

Any thoughts ?

I'm guessing, trying to spray a hood while it's on is a PITA ?

Would any other bodyshop do the same ?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2023, 11:07 AM   #2
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Taking the hood off is one way to do it, and any competent body shop can do it. Shouldn't be necessary, but it would save you from dealing with overspray everywhere & could assure you get the entire hood painted, including the edges. Then they just have to be able to accurately reinstall it.
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 1
nazali1311.50
      07-09-2023, 11:39 AM   #3
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230 2020 vert F23

txs John
Appreciate 0