THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning NEW RELEASE: Free Flow Exhaust / Mid-Pipe (F22 M240i)

05-10-2017, 12:43 PM   #67
POVRTM
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i

Yeah I agree with the fitment Joe240. When I rotated the rear pipe to get the tips in the stock location, the front pipe would hit the cross member so I had to sacrifice a little bit of height on the tips.
Appreciate 2
AlexM240i101.50
PeterWT253.50
      05-10-2017, 03:37 PM   #68
Jim240
Rep
Drives: M240i xDrive Coupe

Same problem - the tips centered ok but regardless of pipe positioning I was never able to get them level and still maintain 1/4 inch clearance above the cross member. I'd eyeball the downward dip at about 5 degrees. (this is with the stock muffler)
PeterWT253.50
      05-11-2017, 08:58 AM   #69
AlexM240i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim240 View Post
Same problem - the tips centered ok but regardless of pipe positioning I was never able to get them level and still maintain 1/4 inch clearance above the cross member. I'd eyeball the downward dip at about 5 degrees. (this is with the stock muffler)
I had the same problem. I thought it was bad installation but i tried to correctly fit it 3 times with the same results.

Any suggestions from Dinan_Engineering ???
Appreciate 1
PeterWT253.50
      05-11-2017, 09:11 AM   #70
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POVRTM View Post
Yeah I agree with the fitment Joe240. When I rotated the rear pipe to get the tips in the stock location, the front pipe would hit the cross member so I had to sacrifice a little bit of height on the tips.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexM240i View Post
I had the same problem. I thought it was bad installation but i tried to correctly fit it 3 times with the same results.

I'm scheduled for install tomorrow and I really hate crooked exhaust tips. Now I'm worried and second guessing my decision to go with the Dinan_Engineering mid-pipe.
How bad is this issue? Anyone have pictures?
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 09:53 AM   #71
Jim240
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWT View Post
I'm scheduled for install tomorrow and I really hate crooked exhaust tips. Now I'm worried and second guessing my decision to go with the Dinan_Engineering mid-pipe.
This is the best I could do with them. There was quite a bit more downward slant until I pulled the exhaust pipe out of the midpipe as much as possible. That action served to rotate the tips up a bit but also pushed the muffler back a little.
Attached Images

AlexM240i101.50
      05-11-2017, 09:55 AM   #72
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is the best I could do with them. There was quite a bit more downward slant until I pulled the exhaust pipe out of the midpipe as much as possible. That action served to rotate the tips up a bit but also pushed the muffler back a little.
Thanks Jim.
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 1
Jim24015.00
      05-11-2017, 10:32 AM   #73
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:

Assuming the front pipe is level the tip downward angle issue would be rectified by rotating the back pipe slightly so the resulting angle allows the the can/tips to sit level. Just some minor tweaking in rotation to fix.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 10:45 AM   #74
AlexM240i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Don't get me wrong. The midpipe is amazing. The car sounds great with it. But it won't fit perfect as you would expect in this kind of car. It won't fit like a german made glove.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 10:53 AM   #75
AlexM240i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Assuming the front pipe is level the tip downward angle issue would be rectified by rotating the back pipe slightly so the resulting angle allows the the can/tips to sit level. Just some minor tweaking in rotation to fix.
I've done this 3 times (2 hours each time) in my exhaust shop with the same results. If you fit the midpipe not to hang loose (front midpipe) and not to touch the cross member (rear midpipe), the muffler tips won't look parallel to the rear bumper.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 11:29 AM   #76
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Dinan_Engineering Assuming the others have tried all the rotation combinations to no avail, could this be due to the position of the cut on the muffler inlet pipe (the dimple)? Would cutting the pipe further forward of the dimple result in the end of the tips rotating up, eliminating this 'droop' issue?
Appreciate 1
AlexM240i101.50
      05-11-2017, 11:52 AM   #77
AlexM240i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Dinan_Engineering Assuming the others have tried all the rotation combinations to no avail, could this be due to the position of the cut on the muffler inlet pipe (the dimple)? Would cutting the pipe further forward of the dimple result in the end of the tips rotating up, eliminating this 'droop' issue?
That's what i'm thinking but i don't wanna take chances with this. I cut exactly at the "BMW dimple"...
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 02:04 PM   #78
Vyruz Reaper
Reverse Homer
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M240i

Quote:
Quote:

That's disappointing to hear. Paying premium for Dinan should not have to mean we are twisting or rotating at luck to get oem like fitment.

Anybody here install with BMW and having the same issues?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 02:39 PM   #79
Jim240
Rep

Quote:
That's what i'm thinking but i don't wanna take chances with this. I cut exactly at the "BMW dimple"...
So I've spent a couple hours trying to level the tips by rotating the rear mid-pipe section. Improvement is gained by moving the rear elbow downward as that action lowers the mid-pipe/exhaust junction thus raising the tips. Problem is it puts the elbow substantially under the point at which the mid-pipe runs parallel with the undercarriage.

The stock mid-pipe gets some latitude because of its oval profile. If you look behind the rear resonator, it is creased downward with the remaining section angled up slightly toward the muffler.

I you were to cut forward of the dimple that may help but will change the angle at which the 2 pipes mate. I cut at the dimple and as a last step pulled the muffler out of the mid-pipe as much as I could (maybe 1/2 inch).

At the end of the day I love the sound. Maybe Dinan will come up with a solution for the tips!

Last edited by Jim240; 05-11-2017 at 02:53 PM.. Reason: innacurate
Appreciate 1
AlexM240i101.50
      05-11-2017, 02:49 PM   #80
Vyruz Reaper
Reverse Homer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
So I've spent a couple hours trying to level the tips by rotating the rear mid-pipe section. Improvement is gained by moving the rear elbow downward as that action lowers the mid-pipe/exhaust junction thus raising the tips. Problem is it puts the elbow substantially under the point at which the mid-pipe runs parallel with the undercarriage.

The stock mid-pipe gets some latitude because of its oval profile. If you look behind the rear resonator, it is creased downward with the remaining section angled up slightly toward the muffler.

I would not recommend cutting past the dimple as that action should lower the tips i.e., pulling the muffler forward would rotate the tips lower. Maybe I'm missing something on this.

At the end of the day I love the sound. If the tips sag somewhat then so be it.
Well, paying what we did, I won't be content with sagging tips.

It's your time or money being spent trying to remedy this. Either Dinan pays up or replaces and pays for swapping out the pipes.

*if* this is really a fitment issue.

Trying to see if any certified Dinan BMWdealerships have done this without sagging tips
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 03:31 PM   #81
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:

I you were to cut forward of the dimple that may help but will change the angle at which the 2 pipes mate. I cut at the dimple and as a last step pulled the muffler out of the mid-pipe as much as I could (maybe 1/2 inch).

At the end of the day I love the sound. Maybe Dinan will come up with a solution for the tips!
You wont want to change the dimple cut point. while depending on other adjustments it may alleviate some of the tip things its mainly going to cause the tip to either stick out too far or be sucked in to deep.

I talked to the engineer that did the development on the midpipe and a couple helpful tips he noted would be:

1. When its cold the hangers should be angled forward, not straight up and down. If they are straight up and down the pipe is not in all the way and would effect tip angle/height.
2. Once the front pipe is in and secured. Make sure it is supported upwards and not drooping while you work on the back pipe. with those 2 clamps loosely fitted on the back pipe you can rotate it freely and can see exactly what the tips do depending on the slight rotation of the pipe. Once you get it where you like it make sure the middle clamp is then tightened fully (with the front pipe still supported). At that point you will want to push the exhaust itself up while the rear pipe and the last clamp is tightened.

Ultimately, if you are still having issues please reach out to tech support / warranty (1-800-341-5480 x2101) and they can assist with any trouble you may have. Much more familiar with the tricks and much better at communicating the more technical stuff than I.
Appreciate 4
PeterWT253.50
AlexM240i101.50
Jim24015.00
      05-11-2017, 07:07 PM   #82
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I cancelled my install appointment for tomorrow.
I am going to see how this works out for others before having mine done.
I don't want to cut my OE pipe until I'm comfortable I will get a nice, clean straight install. I bought the Dinan pipe because I thought that's what I would get.
If I wanted to roll the dice, I would have went to a local exhaust shop and had them cut out the resonators and & weld in straight pipe.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 08:02 PM   #83
Vyruz Reaper
Reverse Homer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I cancelled my install appointment for tomorrow.
I am going to see how this works out for others before having mine done.
I don't want to cut my OE pipe until I'm comfortable I will get a nice, clean straight install. I bought the Dinan pipe because I thought that's what I would get.
If I wanted to roll the dice, I would have went to a local exhaust shop and had them cut out the resonators and & weld in straight pipe.
I'm still doing mine tomorrow. If shit hits the fan, Dinan and this forum is gonna hear it from me lol. I'm not going to live my life in fear.

Wish me luck
Appreciate 3
AlexM240i101.50
Jim24015.00
kohlzor46.50
      05-11-2017, 08:33 PM   #84
AlexM240i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
I'm still doing mine tomorrow. If shit hits the fan, Dinan and this forum is gonna hear it from me lol. I'm not going to live my life in fear.

Wish me luck
Looking forward for your results. The sound is great but for someone with a mild case of OCD and a German car, you want everything perfect !
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 04:28 PM   #85
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Wish me luck
Good luck!
Pictures...
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 04:29 PM   #86
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
...for someone with a mild case of OCD and a German car, you want everything perfect !
Me.
Appreciate 1
AlexM240i101.50
      05-12-2017, 07:12 PM   #87
AlexM240i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Me.
Lol
Appreciate 1
kohlzor46.50
      05-12-2017, 09:52 PM   #88
mpbruin108
Mpbruin108
Rep
Drives: I'm a hypermiler

Quote:

Wish me luck
What's the verdict? I am debating on putting this midpipe versus waiting for another company. I do agree that having the Dinan name would make me believe the quality might be better than other aftermarket companies so I hope this is just a small issue that Dinan can fix. I got a MPE and it uses stock connections so I was gonna put this midpipe on my MPE but I'll wait until I hear what you have to say Vyruz. I am still waiting to hear your car?
Appreciate 0