THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Delamination/finish fade on M235 steering wheel?

05-17-2019, 03:27 PM   #23
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphomeman View Post
The real problem is cleaning the wheel in the first place. In all my many years of car ownership, I have never cleaned a steering wheel!
lol? Where do you think your palm dirt/sweat/grime ends up? It beds into the leather over time, causing a smooth "shiny" appearance.

I've only used two leather cleaning products, and they both work very well. First is Chemical Guys, second is Autoglym, both top notch brands. Simply soak a microfibre with the juice, soak the wheel down and let sit for a couple of mins, then wipe dry with a clean microfiber. To get the OE "matte" look, use another microfibre and scrub hard. This has never let me down, and my wheel/seats/trim look as good as new, still.
      05-17-2019, 04:02 PM   #24
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
Unless it's due to UV/sun damage coming through the glass.
Impossible in my case, car is garaged 23 hours a day since I’m retired. Some days not driven at all.
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8, 2000 528i, 2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0, 2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive, 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30i Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 04:04 PM   #25
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
lol? Where do you think your palm dirt/sweat/grime ends up? It beds into the leather over time, causing a smooth "shiny" appearance.

I've only used two leather cleaning products, and they both work very well. First is Chemical Guys, second is Autoglym, both top notch brands. Simply soak a microfibre with the juice, soak the wheel down and let sit for a couple of mins, then wipe dry with a clean microfiber. To get the OE "matte" look, use another microfibre and scrub hard. This has never let me down, and my wheel/seats/trim look as good as new, still.
Be careful. The top coat finish apparently lifts off without warning. At least for me it did. I've cleaned my wheel probably 40 times since buying the car back in Feb 2015. The last cleaning is when it happened and no issues prior to that. It's really odd. I'm so damn careful too. I used BMW products, a sun shade, the car is parked in a garage every night, windows tinted, etc. The more I research this, the more I see people having issues with this particular wheel. From what I'm seeing, the top coat is either thin or somewhat porous. It would explain why the finish is so different from most leather wheels out there and has such as comfy feel.
      05-17-2019, 06:36 PM   #26
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphomeman View Post
The real problem is cleaning the wheel in the first place. In all my many years of car ownership, I have never cleaned a steering wheel!
Ummmm your hands are the dirtiest part of you, the amount of germs, oils etc you pick up over the day end up all over your steering wheel.

I have repeatedly cleaned my wheels over the last 15 years, never had this happen honestly.
      05-17-2019, 06:55 PM   #27
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Not that it will help OP but it might be interesting to check with the leather guys I linked to see what to put on a brand new wheel - to help others prevent this from happening to them.
Appreciate 2
dradernh4186.50
Dylan861330.00
      05-17-2019, 07:04 PM   #28
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Not that it will help OP but it might be interesting to check with the leather guys I linked to see what to put on a brand new wheel - to help others prevent this from happening to them.
After looking at the price of an OEM replacement wheel, I have to agree.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 03:21 PM   #29
Unicorn123
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive

Jet,

I've got nothing here, so I am just posting to empathize. I follow the same practices as you and have never seen this happen on any BMW or Audi I have had with a leather wrapped wheel. Bummer.

I am going to take BEM's advice for the leather repair since I have a small area on the drivers seat that looks like someone cleaned it with Poochie's buddies rubbing alcohol...oh well The bane of buying 2nd hand...

Retired (a few of them...), 08 E60 550i 6M, 01 Audi S4, 70 Fiat 124, 88 E28 M5, 72 Datsun 510 2Dr, 73 TR6
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 04:06 AM   #30
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Ok, now I'm getting worried:

Steering wheel faded https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1170047
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2019, 11:28 AM   #31
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post

Yeah, saw that too during my searches. It's a good shot of how the protective finish literally wipes off without an ounce of warning and looks very similar to the what my wheel looks like now in terms of damage.

I'll definitely keep you guys in the loop as I deal with BMW on this.
      05-19-2019, 11:49 AM   #32
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Quote:

Yeah, saw that too during my searches. It's a good shot of how the protective finish literally wipes off without an ounce of warning and looks very similar to the what my wheel looks like now in terms of damage.

I'll definitely keep you guys in the loop as I deal with BMW on this.
This might sound silly but print out the other related forum posts and the take it to the dealer and show them that it's a known defect and not an isolated incident.

I believe that'll put you in a better position than they possible blaming it on user error.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 03:05 PM   #33
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
This might sound silly but print out the other related forum posts and the take it to the dealer and show them that it's a known defect and not an isolated incident.

I believe that'll put you in a better position than they possible blaming it on user error.

Good luck!
I just sent my service adviser a write-up of my side and picture of the damage as a document trail in the event he says they won't cover it. I've worked with him for years and he's a total car guy. I hope he'll go to bat for me rather than me having to go directly to BMW NA. I'm not a problem customer and have only been in for maintenance services and I also bought my MP LSD from them and had them install. I still have an appointment for 5/28, but I'm curious to hear his take before I show up and possibly waste my time.
      05-19-2019, 03:16 PM   #34
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Good luck!
I just sent my service adviser a write-up of my side and picture of the damage as a document trail in the event he says they won't cover it. I've worked with him for years and he's a total car guy. I hope he'll go to bat for me rather than me having to go directly to BMW NA. I still have an appointment for 5/28, but I'm curious to hear his take before I show up and possibly waste my time.
That's discouraging.. :

Like I mention before, there is 50/50 chance they'll cover it. The only reason you'll get some resistance is it looks self-inflicted (I know, it's not) and the dealer might not want to take the chance and replace it, in case the claim gets audited by BMW they get a chargeback for the replacement.

So it's not a matter if it would be covered or not (it is), it's is if the dealer is willing to roll the dice on your behalf for this ambiguous issue.

Sucks but welcome to the world of warranty claims.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 09:15 AM   #35
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Update

My service adviser responded this morning and indicated that BMW won't cover it as they view it as wear and tear. I can't say I'm surprised, but I don't agree at all, so to BMW NA I go to plead my case.
      05-20-2019, 09:58 AM   #36
Unicorn123
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive

Quote:
Update

My service adviser responded this morning and indicated that BMW won't cover it as they view it as wear and tear. I can't say I'm surprised, but I don't agree at all, so to BMW NA I go to plead my case.
Jet, Good Luck with BMWNA. We are all rooting for you on this one... Unicorn

Retired (a few of them...), 08 E60 550i 6M, 01 Audi S4, 70 Fiat 124, 88 E28 M5, 72 Datsun 510 2Dr, 73 TR6
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 12:23 PM   #37
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Update

If the dealer said no, trust me on this; you're wasting your time appealing to BMW NA, they are suppose to act as a liaison between you and the dealer but all do is listen to you bitch and reiterate what the dealer already claims.

It's eBay time for a newish M2 or M4 wheel, some in good condition goes for under $300.

Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 01:24 PM   #38
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
If the dealer said no, trust me on this; you're wasting your time appealing to BMW NA, they are suppose to act as a liaison between you and the dealer but all do is listen to you bitch and reiterate what the dealer already claims.
Why does the dealership get the final say on BMW's product and not the other way around?
      05-20-2019, 01:30 PM   #39
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Why does the dealership get the final say on BMW's product and not the other way around?
BMW NA is for general customer service issues, from what I gather, all they can do is help mediate a situation, they have very little sway in determining what gets approved and what doesn't.

I'm not even trying to discourage you but I fought the battle of BMW NA VS a dealer before and the results were fruitless.

When I went ghetto and cursed them out; BMW NA rep slipped up and explain that they just 'mediation powers,' that's all.. Waste of my time..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 01:55 PM   #40
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
They don't. Your presumed premise is correct.

Quote:
BMW NA is for general customer service issues, from what I gather, all they can do is help mediate a situation, they have very little sway in determining what gets approved and what doesn't.

I'm not even trying to discourage you but I fought the battle of BMW NA VS a dealer before and the results were fruitless.

When I went ghetto and cursed them out; BMW NA rep slipped up and explain that they just 'mediation powers,' that's all.. Waste of my time..
I believe the comment may have been misunderstood. The rep was addressing his limitations of discretion. He may have tried to persuade a dealer to provide assistance under "goodwill", but the final warranty decision is made by BMWNA in New Jersey. They may have a good front line staff to dissuade complaints, but they are the ones who tell the dealer what will be reimbursed, typically via credits to their Parts operation.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 02:15 PM   #41
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Quote:
They don't. Your presumed premise is correct.

Quote:

I believe the comment may have been misunderstood. The rep was addressing his limitations of discretion. He may have tried to persuade a dealer to provide assistance under "goodwill", but the final warranty decision is made by BMWNA in New Jersey. They may have a good front line staff to dissuade complaints, but they are the ones who tell the dealer what will be reimbursed, typically via credits to their Parts operation.
Maybe you're right but in my experience they weren't very helpful. They made it clear to me that all they can do is mediate but the manager of the franchise has the last word on on claim, if they determine they might not get reimbursed for the work.

My rep even suggested I roll the dice at another dealer, maybe they might fix my issue without resistance. But he could not force anyone to approve anything.

Now, if you get someone in the higher-ups that assures the dealer they will get reimburse from the work, they will be happy to oblige without any risk. But it very hard to move up the food chain on an ambiguous issue like this.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 03:08 PM   #42
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

Quote:

Not exactly, BMWNA has the final say. Even if dealer's try to get it sorted, BMWNA might say no, but while BMWNA doesn't have full authority over a dealer, they will usually comply with their request.

I've dealt with BMW NA a couple of times in the last 15 years. Once was with the OBC on my e36 M3, there was an extended warranty on the computer due to pixels going out.

Dealer tried to just goodwill the labor (1 hour), and charge me for the part ($680). BMW NA got involved and made sure it was remedied, as the part is faulty there fore warrantied.

My GF also had a problem with her 135, where she got it CPO, but it was across the country, we drove it back out west. Well she took it in complaining of some windnoise sometime later, and they said the windshield is not OEM, and the seals weren't correct. Took some back and forth and BMW of NA was getting involved, finally BMW dealer she bought it from agreed to pay for OEM windshield to be installed, at a dealer in San Diego, and they would cover it.

They can definitely help, because if they authorize warranty work, BMW dealer will comply.
      05-20-2019, 03:39 PM   #43
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftwaffe1O1 View Post
Quote:

BMWNA doesn't have full authority over a dealer, they will usually comply with their request.

That's exactly what I said in the last paragraph of my previous post; if BMW approves it, they dealer will happily comply with the claim, with absolutely no risk to them.

It's 100% different when the dealer makes the request the goodwill from BMW NA than when the consumer does, from the anecdotal claims you made.

The end-user has very little pull when they call to bitch about a problem.

I bet you anything that they're not going to help if they dealer already said no.

Now If they dealer appeals on his behalf, that's way different and would reach the powers that can actually help. Which they won't, since they already denied to.

They can submit a claim to cover the steering wheel under the warranty if they choose to, it's a typical process for them, the issue is the questionable damage has them worried that they might get some pushback if they do.
So to err on the side of safety, they rather just blame it on "wear and tear" to pacify the consumer and not risk it.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 03:41 PM   #44
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

If you google "BMW steering wheel finish rubbing off" it'll kick back 598,000 hits with everyone, from new M3 owners to i3 owners, complaining about the same thing.
If BMW were to admit that it is a manufacturing problem and covers the defect, they'd be in for a significant financial hit.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...67.8SJOH411O64