THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing F22 228 xdrive drone/vibrato engine noise

10-16-2018, 10:49 AM   #1
*bimmervibe
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40

F22 228 xdrive drone/vibrato engine noise

I recently purchased a 2015 228 xdrive with automatic transmission. I love the car but I hear a subtle drone/vibrato noise coming from the engine at 1k rpm in any gear. The noise disappear at lower or higher rpm. The car is still under warranty and I explained the issue to my dealer. They tried the car and said it was perfectly normal. Anyone experiencing something similar?

Now I also noticed a similar noise when accelerating full throttle, the noise can only be heard from 50 to 55 mph. I can't hear it cruising at that speed. No apparent vibration either. What could it be?

Thanks for any input.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 06:52 PM   #2
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Why would you drive a car at 1k rpm?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 07:38 PM   #3
*bimmervibe
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMK View Post
Why would you drive a car at 1k rpm?
I'm not really driving around at 1k, but when I come to a stop the automatic transmission goes around 1k before switching to the lower gear.

In any case I can hear the vibration also in neutral, it makes the noise only passing over 1k, not lower or higher.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 02:16 PM   #4
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

You may be experiencing new-owner-syndrome. I know I had it for my first 2 or 3 months - all kinds of odd little noises that I hadn't noticed in other cars (but I assume totally benign - like the noise when the auto-temp releases some Freon behind the dash or whatever it is doing). There would be expected to be some particular harmonics in exhaust and gear noises that vary with rpm, or only show up at certain places. Rest assured that these cars are smart enough that they'll throw a code if anything is starting to look seriously out of spec.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 03:44 PM   #5
*bimmervibe
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
You may be experiencing new-owner-syndrome. I know I had it for my first 2 or 3 months - all kinds of odd little noises that I hadn't noticed in other cars (but I assume totally benign - like the noise when the auto-temp releases some Freon behind the dash or whatever it is doing). There would be expected to be some particular harmonics in exhaust and gear noises that vary with rpm, or only show up at certain places. Rest assured that these cars are smart enough that they'll throw a code if anything is starting to look seriously out of spec.
You are probably right! I'm getting used to it by now. Just wanted to make sure it was all normal...

Thanks
Appreciate 0