THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Dr. Strangelove, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying & Live w the Harmon Kardon System

09-06-2018, 11:24 AM   #749
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburg View Post
Thanks for the quick response.

What I have is the HK system that comes with the '19 230i I'm picking up today. I'm not aware of the signal processing this system does.

In my previous '16 228 with the HK System, I used the capacitor - I believe the Eton B100XHP was not available back then. So I am seeking advise of whether to use the capacitor that comes with the Eton B100 speaker kit, placing it between the main driver and tweeter, or the B100XHP.

Thanks much!
Just to be safe, I would install the Eton filters if you're installing only the Etons (i.e., running off the OEM amp).

Be mindful, however, that if you upgrade the amp, add a DSP, etc. after that, you should not use any similar function on it. It's generally not a good idea sonically to 'double up' frequency filtering, especially when it's likely two types of it: electrical (the Eton part) and electronic (the amp/DSP).

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 11:52 AM   #750
mburg
MBurg
Rep
Drives: '22 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Just to be safe, I would install the Eton filters if you're installing only the Etons (i.e., running off the OEM amp).

Be mindful, however, that if you upgrade the amp, add a DSP, etc. after that, you should not use any similar function on it. It's generally not a good idea sonically to 'double up' frequency filtering, especially when it's likely two types of it: electrical (the Eton part) and electronic (the amp/DSP).

Hope this helps!
Great help, indeed!
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      09-14-2018, 10:27 PM   #751
R9T
Rep
Drives: 230 convertible

Quote:
I did the Eton / JL Audio upgrade for my '16 228 with Harmon Kardon system and it has been great. I'm turning the car in (it was a lease) an picking up a '19 230 on Thursday. Rather than go through the trouble of removing the Etons I am considering purchasing a new pair, but I can't find them anywhere except for places like Lithuania.

Any suggestions as to where else I might purchase, or whether this is still the best cost-effective upgrade from the HK system?

Thanks
eBay seller acr-hof. Delivered the Eton kit from Germany to the U.S. in two days .
Appreciate 1
mburg63.00
      09-17-2018, 09:09 AM   #752
mburg
MBurg
Rep
Drives: '22 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by R9T View Post
Quote:
I did the Eton / JL Audio upgrade for my '16 228 with Harmon Kardon system and it has been great. I'm turning the car in (it was a lease) an picking up a '19 230 on Thursday. Rather than go through the trouble of removing the Etons I am considering purchasing a new pair, but I can't find them anywhere except for places like Lithuania.

Any suggestions as to where else I might purchase, or whether this is still the best cost-effective upgrade from the HK system?

Thanks
eBay seller acr-hof. Delivered the Eton kit from Germany to the U.S. in two days .
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 09:39 AM   #753
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

I currently have the HK system, would there be much benefit in just replacing the rear speakers to Eton B100N's and leaving the rest of the system stock?

Also i know its been discussed quite a bit but I'm still confused as to whether i need to add any kind of crossover if fitting the Eton B100's using the oem amp?

thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 09:50 AM   #754
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post
I currently have the HK system, would there be much benefit in just replacing the rear speakers to Eton B100N's and leaving the rest of the system stock?
Yes, but it's the third thing I would do. The first is to disconnect the centre channel speaker, the second is to code out or bypass ASD, then do the rear speakers. That's about 75% of the improvement in sound available to you short of an amp replacement.
Appreciate 1
Prodigy.697.50
      09-18-2018, 09:52 AM   #755
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post

Yes, but it's the third thing I would do. The first is to disconnect the centre channel speaker, the second is to code out or bypass ASD, then do the rear speakers. That's about 75% of the improvement in sound available to you short of an amp replacement.
sorry, forgot to mention i have already disconnected the centre speaker and have the ASD bypass harness fitted.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 10:33 AM   #756
963mw
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Has anyone installed the Eton B 100 XHP crossovers? I've had my Eton B100's installed for approximately 5 months now, (Shoutout to Viffermike for the solid recommendation), but didn't install the Eton crossovers as I didn't know where to mount them, and didn't want to ruin their double-sided tape.

Has anyone used Dynamat or equivalent to replace the door sound-deadening pad as done in these videos?

Thanks
      12-04-2018, 10:48 AM   #757
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 963mw View Post
Has anyone installed the Eton B 100 XHP crossovers? I've had my Eton B100's installed for approximately 5 months now, (Shoutout to Viffermike for the solid recommendation), but didn't install the Eton crossovers as I didn't know where to mount them, and didn't want to ruin their double-sided tape.

Has anyone used Dynamat or equivalent to replace the door sound-deadening pad as done in these videos?

Thanks
Nick,

Tried to PM you, but your box is full ...

Sorry for the tardy reply; been busy the past week with work and a few forums.

Question: Do you run an aftermarket amplifier? If you do and it has adjustable high-pass filtering and/or crossovers, you don't need to install the Eton units. As I explained in another post (IIRC) in the Strangelove thread, one should almost never use two sets of crossovers with a speaker array. The crossovers in the amp will almost certainly be better than the Eton ones.

Now: The B100 XHPs are high-pass filters; they are NOT crossovers. All they do is prevent bass frequencies (150Hz and below) from reaching the woofer and tweeter. The OEM amp is already doing this. So, IMHO, there is no need to install them in any situation except if you're running an aftermarket amp without internal high-pass filtering.

Hope this helps ...

... Oh, as for Dynamat: It can only help if installed reasonably well. If you do it, cover the speaker openings and the flat area around those (several inches' worth). But since you've already got the speakers in, I wouldn't go back in to do it unless you have to for another reason.

- Mike
Appreciate 1
963mw331.00
      12-06-2018, 09:13 PM   #758
xixp
Registered
Rep
Drives: M240i Convertible

Hi ,
Im looking into just replacing the front speakers in my HK equiped M240i Convertible to avoid the hassle of dealing with the rear side panels.
After reading all 35 pages of posts im not clear if there is another direct replacement speaker option like the Eton but with better sensitivity similar to the HK speakers.
I looked at the Bavsound kit but it seems they dont sell just a couple but all 5 speakers. (I see like a waste to even buy 5 when the center has to be unplugged for better soundstage performance).

Thanks for any input on the matter!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 03:04 PM   #759
phantomcoupe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C Black MT Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by xixp View Post
Hi ,
Im looking into just replacing the front speakers in my HK equiped M240i Convertible to avoid the hassle of dealing with the rear side panels.
After reading all 35 pages of posts im not clear if there is another direct replacement speaker option like the Eton but with better sensitivity similar to the HK speakers.
I looked at the Bavsound kit but it seems they dont sell just a couple but all 5 speakers. (I see like a waste to even buy 5 when the center has to be unplugged for better soundstage performance).

Thanks for any input on the matter!
Bavsound will sell a single pair.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 05:55 PM   #760
xixp
Registered
Rep
Drives: M240i Convertible

Thanks, since i didnt see a pair offered on their website i thought they wouldnt sell speakers separately.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 01:37 PM   #761
gavin730
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Relatively new owner here with HK factory option. After reading this thread, I knew I wanted to start with these mods to improve the overall quality of the system while keeping a budget, so I wanted to share my feedback. I did these one by one, giving time in between each so I could evaluate the difference each option provided. In order, I did the following:

1) Disconnect center channel. Noticed instant difference in clarity, and considering the time (~15 minutes) and price (free), it's a no-brainer.

2) ASD bypass harness. Note: The exhaust note hadn't interfered with the stereo enough to give me a blaring headache or drive me up the wall yet. But once I installed the ASD harness I realized what a massive difference it made. I did take the time to install some Dynamat in the trunk while I had the lining out -- didn't go wall-to-wall like some others have, but covered most visible/easily accessible spots as best I could. Anyway, the new PNP harness makes install a breeze. Cabin seems super quiet now, but I can still hear the exhaust note in Sport mode when I want it. Absolutely worth the time (~1.5 hrs) and money ($55) if you want a more peaceful cabin under most conditions.
Sidenote: I experienced an adjustment (lowering) in stereo volume as some others have noted after installing the ASD harness. Whereas 60% volume used to be "rock out" volume for me, it's now around 75% to achieve the same volume. Not a deal breaker, though. Just an observation.

3) Replaced rear speakers with JL Audio C2-400x. Used a washer to secure the 3rd mounting screws. Used ebay pigtail harness, and as advertised, polarity was reversed on driver's side rear speaker. Results were immediate, and even better after the speakers had a couple of days to further break in. Significant mid-bass upgrade, and a fairly decent improvement in treble as well. The higher I crank the volume, the more obvious it is that the upgrade was worth $80.

4) Added BMW weatherstripping on the doors. My car was missing it on both sides. I found it true that the 2nd one takes half the time to install once you do the first side and know the strategy. I admit that I didn't notice much of an immediate difference in city driving. But on highway driving, I'm pretty sure I can tell a difference, although not a big one, but it does seem to be blocking a bit of wind noise to some degree. Even if the result is only 10% difference, that's still worth $30 to me.

Overall, I'm very happy with these upgrades. Collectively, the difference is night and day. My next step will be the Eton B100W in the front, although I might wait a while and just enjoy my current upgraded setup. Plus, the Etons will be more labor-intensive than any of the other upgrades by far. I'm sure I'll get an itch before too long, though.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      12-16-2018, 04:42 PM   #762
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin730 View Post

Overall, I'm very happy with these upgrades. Collectively, the difference is night and day. My next step will be the Eton B100W in the front, although I might wait a while and just enjoy my current upgraded setup. Plus, the Etons will be more labor-intensive than any of the other upgrades by far. I'm sure I'll get an itch before too long, though.
I assume that you had the HK option? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 07:52 AM   #763
gavin730
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
Yes, that's correct.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 11:22 AM   #764
Shadowfax028
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post

I just did the JL Audio rear speaker upgrade per the recommendation in this posting.
Great, great, great upgrade. Looking forward to the Eton upgrade for the doors.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      12-28-2018, 06:35 PM   #765
cbbplanet
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: space shuttle

So I have a non-HK (HiFi) base set and have been debating between the below options:

1. BavSound Speaker + Sub ~ $1100
2. Eton/JL ~$500

I will not be upgrading or getting an amp so not sure which option will work best. Furthermore, being on HiFi, will the Eton/JL be less effective?

also, anyone have experience or know how to wire the HK door tweeters onto base setup? Will it improve the sound?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by cbbplanet; 12-29-2018 at 01:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 10:59 PM   #766
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 M40i - G05

So what is the difference between the following:

Focal components and mid bass subs

BavSound components and mid bass subs

Eton components and mid bass subs

In an HK system? Are there significant differences in the way they sound?

Pros? Cons?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 05:43 PM   #767
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post
So what is the difference between the following:

Focal components and mid bass subs

BavSound components and mid bass subs

Eton components and mid bass subs

In an HK system? Are there significant differences in the way they sound?

Pros? Cons?
I think the difference between the hifi and HK systems is that HK system has separate front mid-range and tweeters. The hifi system has full range speakers in the front.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 11:02 PM   #768
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 M40i - G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
I think the difference between the hifi and HK systems is that HK system has separate front mid-range and tweeters. The hifi system has full range speakers in the front.
Im asking if there are significant differences in the way the aftermarket speakers sound with the stock HK amp.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 01:25 PM   #769
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Quote:
Im asking if there are significant differences in the way the aftermarket speakers sound with the stock HK amp.
I've replaced all of the speakers in my M240i with HK. The sound improvement was is appreciable. I installed the recommended Etons up front and recommended JLs in the rear.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 05:28 PM   #770
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Almost any aftermarket speaker will improve the sound with the OEM HK amp -- even a pair of $30 Kenwoods. The OEM speakers are that poor.

But I think you're asking timbre-related questions about specific speaker makers that are best answered in a general car audio forum and by researching in other threads here on 2Addicts. I've personally explained the general timbre differences in detail between Focal, Eton, JL Audio, Hertz, Morel, BavSound and others in several threads. Please find those first.
Appreciate 0