THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Bluetooth/USB iPhone functionality

03-27-2014, 09:47 AM   #23
Bahuba
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MR 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaviin View Post
That's... really weird. I thought Bahuba mentioned that he tested the regular iPhone 5 cable with a non-Tech Package car and it worked (maybe I'm imagining that). And why the heck would the adapter work but not the native cable? Maybe this'll be fixed in a software update?
No, you were't imagining it. I had my iPhone5s connected using the dealer's Apple iphone 4 cable, with my lighting adapter. I was able to play songs, see album covers.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 07:16 PM   #24
Gaviin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Bizarre. Guess I'll either pick up a lightning adapter or just buy a cheap USB thumb drive and throw my music on there.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 07:43 PM   #25
darkerosxx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i

Just so folks know, I have the tech package and using a dvd with mp3's tagged with album art will show the album art about 10 seconds after you start playing it. You can look at the files by folder or you can use the search function to search by artist, album, etc.. It works great. I just burned the dvd and copied all the files to the built-in hard drive, then threw the dvd away.

Bluetooth with android via Google Music, on the other hand, still annoyingly lacking everything other than playing the music and showing the title.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 08:38 PM   #26
SuitedUp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport

Do you have a hard drive without the tech package as well?

I'm just trying to figure out what I'll be able to do without the tech package.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 10:13 PM   #27
Gaviin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Has anyone tried to use a USB thumb drive for their music on a non-Tech Package M235i yet? I just picked up my car today (woot!), and my lightning cable to my iPhone 5 indeed does not work. I just want to make sure that the USB port is able to handle music of any kind before buying a thumb drive. I'm kind of worried that without the Tech Package, the USB port is just useless for any audio-related stuff. :-\
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 11:00 AM   #28
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

The USB port can play music through a usb thumb drive (without tech package). Just format it to fat32 and copy and paste and you're good to go. It will be the source for the best possible music quality too. (All digital) I personally bought a tiny 64gb drive. Works pretty well once you get used to BMWs interface.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 11:24 AM   #29
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G228msport
The USB port can play music through a usb thumb drive (without tech package). Just format it to fat32 and copy and paste and you're good to go. It will be the source for the best possible music quality too. (All digital) I personally bought a tiny 64gb drive. Works pretty well once you get used to BMWs interface.
Didnt know that thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 12:45 PM   #30
Gaviin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the response. I actually dug up a random thumb drive earlier, tested it out, and like you said, it worked. Unfortunately it looks like the interface is pretty awful. For example, while it does seem to have some ability to interpret ID3 tags, when you're browsed into an album, the individual songs are displayed as their file names instead of the song names contained within the tags. I guess I can go rename all my files, but that's sort of annoying. Maybe there's a setting somewhere I missed?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 12:54 PM   #31
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the response. I actually dug up a random thumb drive earlier, tested it out, and like you said, it worked. Unfortunately it looks like the interface is pretty awful. For example, while it does seem to have some ability to interpret ID3 tags, when you're browsed into an album, the individual songs are displayed as their file names instead of the song names contained within the tags. I guess I can go rename all my files, but that's sort of annoying. Maybe there's a setting somewhere I missed?
Yeah the interface sucks. You're right about how it displays the songs. Also when you browse via "artists" and then play a song. Once you go back to find another artist it starts you back at "a". Very irritating. One way I have found around that is play your music by selecting "browse files". It's browse something, can't remember. But it seems to save where you left of in the list. Hope that makes sense..

And yes, where it gets the track names sucks too. Get with the times bmw!!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 01:01 PM   #32
Gaviin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Yeah I think it's "Browse Directory" (or directories). Whatever it was, it was the first entry on the menu. That's the one I used when I tested it out. Haven't played with the other options, and from what you're saying, seems like I shouldn't bother. lol.

The weirdest thing I noticed is that, even though the interface on the console screen shows the full file names instead of the song names, the song names show up on the instrument display when you use the steering wheel scroll wheel. So the car is obviously capable of interpreting the song title element of the ID3 tags... just doesn't use it on the main screen.

Starting to kind of regret not getting the Tech Package... I won't give up hope yet though. Probably just need to get used to it.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 02:27 PM   #33
Gaviin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

So I played around with it some more just now.

Looks like when you do the "Browse Directory" option, it doesn't use any ID3 tag info... just the directory/file structure and raw file names. However, if you use the search feature, it does use the ID3 tags.

For example, if you search on an artist, and then go to "begin playback" (or whatever it's called), it'll show all the songs from that artist and arrange them in alphabetical order based on actual track name from the ID3 tag. If you search on an album, it'll show those songs and arrange them based on album track number, again based on the ID3 info (this is key for me, since I tend to listen to albums, rather than random songs).

I haven't tested what happens when you turn off the car and come back later, or if you remove the thumb drive... whether it'll remember where you left off and what your current search was, for instance. But honestly, I'm feeling a bit better about the interface now. It's cumbersome and seems to lack some simple/obvious display and customization options, but I think I can live with it. Just gotta get myself a 32 or 64gb drive now so I can just load up all my songs and leave it plugged in.

Still kinda annoyed that the iPhone isn't recognized when using a normal lightning cable though...
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 03:12 PM   #34
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So I played around with it some more just now.

Looks like when you do the "Browse Directory" option, it doesn't use any ID3 tag info... just the directory/file structure and raw file names. However, if you use the search feature, it does use the ID3 tags.

For example, if you search on an artist, and then go to "begin playback" (or whatever it's called), it'll show all the songs from that artist and arrange them in alphabetical order based on actual track name from the ID3 tag. If you search on an album, it'll show those songs and arrange them based on album track number, again based on the ID3 info (this is key for me, since I tend to listen to albums, rather than random songs).

I haven't tested what happens when you turn off the car and come back later, or if you remove the thumb drive... whether it'll remember where you left off and what your current search was, for instance. But honestly, I'm feeling a bit better about the interface now. It's cumbersome and seems to lack some simple/obvious display and customization options, but I think I can live with it. Just gotta get myself a 32 or 64gb drive now so I can just load up all my songs and leave it plugged in.

Still kinda annoyed that the iPhone isn't recognized when using a normal lightning cable though...

Yup, I agree with everything you said. Bottom line.. You just have to get used to the outdated software and make it work for you. And yes sometimes I regret not getting the tech package (sooo annoyed about the lightning cable) but I know I'll enjoy my car the same. Oh well lol

Btw you can buy a 3.5mm audio cable and get all iphone sounds out of it without the y-cable. Sound quality suffers though (same sound quality as using the y-cable). It's not terrible but I notice it. Perhaps that's my JH16 earphones with 16 extremely accurate speakers at work.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 04:10 PM   #35
kerm1t
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP Stage 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahuba View Post
No, you were't imagining it. I had my iPhone5s connected using the dealer's Apple iphone 4 cable, with my lighting adapter. I was able to play songs, see album covers.
are you talking about just the aux? didn't know the car can read it straight from aux
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 07:52 PM   #36
Gaviin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerm1t View Post
are you talking about just the aux? didn't know the car can read it straight from aux
I think he was referring to the BMW Y cable, which you plug into both the USB and aux at the same time. Since the other end of the cable is the old Apple plug (the wide one), he bought an adapter to convert to the new, thinner lightning plug. Apparently that allows the use of an iPhone, whereas the normal Apple USB cable doesn't work.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 07:56 PM   #37
Gaviin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Another unfortunate thing is the non-display of album art that might be part of ID3 tags. Makes for a pretty drab and boring center display when playing music. I guess my eyes should be on the road anyway.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 08:39 PM   #38
crawfordbay
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Garage List
1998 BMW M Coupe  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
No Music Over Bluetooth

I have the technology package in my M235i. iPhone 5 with iOS 8. Everything works fine through the USB. The phone connects to Bluetooth fine and is completely usable but for one issue: music will not play over Bluetooth any more.

No matter how many times I reconnect I cannot access the music on my iPhone over Bluetooth, yet everything else on the phone works over Bluetooth. Does anyone else have this issue?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 09:45 AM   #39
furii
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 m235i

you're using a beta os, i wouldn't be too quick to point the finger at the car...
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 11:51 AM   #40
Bahuba
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MR 2014 M235i

I posted this in another thread but got no response so I'll try here. Anyone tried playing a music App like TuneIn on their IPhone while connected via BT to their BMW (I have the BT music/audio package)? For me this works (even the artwork appears) but only for about a minute and then it stops playing. If I select media/Bluetooth via IDrive, it starts playing again, but stops after about a min.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 05:14 PM   #41
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahuba View Post
I posted this in another thread but got no response so I'll try here. Anyone tried playing a music App like TuneIn on their IPhone while connected via BT to their BMW (I have the BT music/audio package)? For me this works (even the artwork appears) but only for about a minute and then it stops playing. If I select media/Bluetooth via IDrive, it starts playing again, but stops after about a min.
ya same happens to me with tuneIn.... unless you use it through the connected apps menu
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 12:04 AM   #42
farshman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by G228msport View Post
so then shouldn't I be able to do this with an Android device?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 10:23 AM   #43
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by farshman View Post
so then shouldn't I be able to do this with an Android device?
What do you mean? Plug your android phone (assuming it has a usb output) into the BMW USB input? I'm not sure.. Depends if the car will recognize your phone as a storage device. If I had to guess, no it won't but its worth a shot.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 10:36 AM   #44
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Another option this works perfectly for me, control everything through phone.

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=994190
Appreciate 0