THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Disconnect your front center speaker!

04-19-2021, 08:05 AM   #67
seanroberts000
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i xDrive coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler4 View Post
The quickest and cheapest is to code in the F45 equalizer profile, makes a big difference.
I have the F45 coded in and made a big improvement -- has anyone running this EQ profile also disconnected the center? Still worthwhile?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 11:05 AM   #68
jzeiler4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M240i xDrive vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanroberts000 View Post
I have the F45 coded in and made a big improvement -- has anyone running this EQ profile also disconnected the center? Still worthwhile?
I have left it in but I worked around Jet Engines for 27 years so it sounds fine to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 12:36 PM   #69
TonM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 / 2017 M240

Can I code in the F45 equalizer if I had a hifi amp originally and am now running a Bimmertech amp?
Would love on the fly control of more than bass treble and mid
      04-19-2021, 10:34 PM   #70
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
You must have owned some pretty nice cars with great stock stereos. My wife's 2020 Toyota 4runner is frighteningly bad and makes my M235's HK system sound like $7000 high end setup. I'm getting ready to $1700 to fix the OEM audio in the 4runner.
Nah. Its just that the stock radio in the M240 is about the worst I've heard. I'm hoping to find a decent local shop to give me a hand.
      04-23-2021, 08:04 AM   #71
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalaxy View Post
I stumbled on this thread after trying to find some information on how to remedy what has to be the worlds worst audio system I have ever heard in a car. Reminds me of my first car's audio system (1974 Dodge Dart). A single speaker under the center of the dash. How the name of the baby Jesus does one fix this rolling s**t show of an audio disaster? I've resorted to driving with my iPhone headphones. I have to drive my F150 from time to time to hear some good audio (its actually very good).

Ok, rant over. So seriously, is there is an easy fix to this nightmare?
You must have owned some pretty nice cars with great stock stereos. My wife's 2020 Toyota 4runner is frighteningly bad and makes my M235's HK system sound like $7000 high end setup. I'm getting ready to $1700 to fix the OEM audio in the 4runner.
Just ignore anyone in the F22/87 section that shits on the HK audio system; I can concur that it sounds absolutely fine and most of the geniuses that complain about it are just using a poor fidelity input source or interfered with the ASD, center-channel speaker, exhaust valve controller, fuses, and/or amp; forcing the system into a limited fail-safe mode, hence the reason they assume it's a supposedly a crappy sounding system.

It's a prefect audio setup for a vehicle in this price range, so no complaints here, even when I actively go looking for them so I too can jump on this HK bashing bandwagon 🤷🏻
Appreciate 3
      04-30-2021, 07:30 PM   #72
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswbmw View Post
Thanks to selmeralto and others on this forum. I have been so disappointed with H-K audio in the 2er compared to the 3er.

I can't believe how much better the sound in the car is by disconnecting the front center speaker. It blows my mind that BMW would actually put this in the car. It serves no purpose and actually makes the stereo sound all washed out.

Agree completely. Removing the front center speaker clears up the soundstage by creating true
stereo separation. With the center speaker, you're listening to the equivalent of a mono signal.

Try it. You'll love it.
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 12:38 PM   #73
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
The only reason ASD sounds quiet when you disconnected the center speaker is because the entire system disables when it detects a shadow fault, such as a missing speaker or open circuit. ASD is actually electronically shut off and not just lessen in severity, due to the now missing center channel.

I'm not sure if you also notice; with the center speaker disabled, there is practically no bass since any speaker fault places the entire audio system into sort of a fail-safe mode, since now it can no longer operate as it was designed to, hence the so-called clarity you guys are raving about; which is just a partially functioning sound system you're actually experiencing..

Also, keep in mind, with any of the speakers disconnected, BMW service will not be able to complete any repairs that requires a software update.

Poochie,
That's some interesting information there, but I can assure you that both my ASD and bass plays just fine with the center speaker unplugged.

I ordered the Integral Audio's Soundstage DSP and because the DSP amp is tuned with the center channel, I'll be plugging it back in.

Will report back if I notice anything different.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 02:18 PM   #74
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater4me View Post
Quote:
The only reason ASD sounds quiet when you disconnected the center speaker is because the entire system disables when it detects a shadow fault, such as a missing speaker or open circuit. ASD is actually electronically shut off and not just lessen in severity, due to the now missing center channel.

I'm not sure if you also notice; with the center speaker disabled, there is practically no bass since any speaker fault places the entire audio system into sort of a fail-safe mode, since now it can no longer operate as it was designed to, hence the so-called clarity you guys are raving about; which is just a partially functioning sound system you're actually experiencing..

Also, keep in mind, with any of the speakers disconnected, BMW service will not be able to complete any repairs that requires a software update.

Poochie,
That's some interesting information there, but I can assure you that both my ASD and bass plays just fine with the center speaker unplugged.

I ordered the Integral Audio's Soundstage DSP and because the DSP amp is tuned with the center channel, I'll be plugging it back in.

Will report back if I notice anything different.
I can personally guarantee you that when system senses an open circuit, such as disconnected center speaker, it disables ASD and the bass.

I literally copy and pasted this fact from NewTIS and I actually tested the theory last summer when I was replacing my under seat speaker.

An open circuit also leaves a bunch or shadow error code with the ISTA+ diagnose program, indicting a said speaker or ASD is disconnected, preventing any repairs that requires a I-step software revision.

You can believe whatever works for you but if you speaking in facts, any open connection within any module or speaker generates a fault.

Here is a list of errors you'll encounter after you disconnect the center speaker or ASD:

[COLOR="DarkRed"]B7F821[/COLOR] - Speaker output leads, front left disconnection, open circuit

[COLOR="DarkRed"]B7F825[/COLOR] - Speaker output leads, front right disconnection, open circuit

[COLOR="DarkRed"]B7F829[/COLOR] - Speaker output leads, rear left disconnection, open circuit

[COLOR="DarkRed"]B7F82D[/COLOR] - Speaker output leads, rear right disconnection, open circuit

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=19426470

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1260271

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19904131
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 03:20 PM   #75
gphung
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB - 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
In preparation for my scheduled maintenance with the dealership, I restored all Bimmercode coding back to stock to avoid any potential hassles (left the centre channel unplugged as I was too lazy to pop the grille off, and even more discouraged when I recalled my embarrassing struggle popping off the connector the first time lol). This includes restoring ASD back to the original value (unassigned? did a restore via first ever backup), and noticed some kind of change with the sound coming out of the speakers. It was definitely noticeable and not a placebo, but I don't know if what I'm hearing is the same thing as ASD per se. I do notice an obvious change in the sound when toggling between Comfort/Sport modes.

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 03:09 PM   #76
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I can personally guarantee you that when system senses an open circuit, such as disconnected center speaker, it disables ASD and the bass.

I literally copy and pasted this fact from NewTIS and I actually tested the theory last summer when I was replacing my under seat speaker.

An open circuit also leaves a bunch or shadow error code with the ISTA+ diagnose program, indicting a said speaker or ASD is disconnected, preventing any repairs that requires a I-step software revision.

You can believe whatever works for you but if you speaking in facts, any open connection within any module or speaker generates a fault.

Here is a list of errors you'll encounter after you disconnect the center speaker or ASD:

B7F821 - Speaker output leads, front left disconnection, open circuit

B7F825 - Speaker output leads, front right disconnection, open circuit

B7F829 - Speaker output leads, rear left disconnection, open circuit

B7F82D - Speaker output leads, rear right disconnection, open circuit

I wasn't arguing the information you provided was false, but was merely stating that ASD and bass reproduction is working fine in my M2C even with the center speaker disconnected.

Could it be possible that this fault code sensing/ASD canceling isn't initiated 100% and is checked periodically?
If so, this may explain why my amp drops the bass (underseat subs) intermittently.
In fact, it happened this afternoon.
Just the passenger's side sub was not playing (I have the trunk sub hooked up to the passenger's side sub, so I know when it's out)

One thing for sure is that ASD is working fine.
The speakers play a deeper bass tone when I hit the sport button during cold start. (The exhaust note does not change)
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 09:32 PM   #77
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

[COLOR="DarkRed"]B7F821[/COLOR] - Speaker output leads, front left disconnection, open circuit

[COLOR="DarkRed"]B7F825[/COLOR] - Speaker output leads, front right disconnection, open circuit

[COLOR="DarkRed"]B7F829[/COLOR] - Speaker output leads, rear left disconnection, open circuit

[COLOR="DarkRed"]B7F82D[/COLOR] - Speaker output leads, rear right disconnection, open circuit

I wasn't arguing the information you provided was false, but was merely stating that ASD and bass reproduction is working fine in my M2C even with the center speaker disconnected.

Could it be possible that this fault code sensing/ASD canceling isn't initiated 100% and is checked periodically?
If so, this may explain why my amp drops the bass (underseat subs) intermittently.
In fact, it happened this afternoon.
Just the passenger's side sub was not playing (I have the trunk sub hooked up to the passenger's side sub, so I know when it's out)

One thing for sure is that ASD is working fine.
The speakers play a deeper bass tone when I hit the sport button during cold start. (The exhaust note does not change)
I can't decipher your specific issue unless I'm actually there to diagnose what's going on but I will say that from my own personal experience and factually from the proof I provided that if any and all error is detected within the stock audio BUS connect, the HK system and ASD goes into a "fail-safe" mode.

You will still have audio from the remaining speakers but it will never perform as it was design to operate and sounds very flat, with no bass. That's a fact.

If you are using an aftermarket system, this issue I've described might not be as prevalent, since your aftermarket system is just boosting the thin audio signal from the partly functioning unit, masking the fault.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 08:09 AM   #78
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I can't decipher your specific issue unless I'm actually there to diagnose what's going on but I will say that from my own personal experience and factually from the proof I provided that if any and all error is detected within the stock audio BUS connect, the HK system and ASD goes into a "fail-safe" mode.

You will still have audio from the remaining speakers but it will never perform as it was design to operate and sounds very flat, with no bass. That's a fact.

If you are using an aftermarket system, this issue I've described might not be as prevalent, since your aftermarket system is just boosting the thin audio signal from the partly functioning unit, masking the fault.
Thats’s very interesting.
I haven’t noticed any degradation in bass after disconnecting mine.
Although I do have aftermarket rears and a sub, it hits plenty hard.
When you say ‘personal experience’, did you hear the difference right away after disconnecting just the center channel?

If this ‘fail-safe’ mode kicks in like it’s intended to, I’m surprised that no one else that have disconnected the center noticed the reduce in bass. Or is there a lot of owners experiencing this, and I just wasn’t aware of it?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 01:34 PM   #79
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thats's very interesting.
I haven't noticed any degradation in bass after disconnecting mine.
Although I do have aftermarket rears and a sub, it hits plenty hard.
When you say 'personal experience', did you hear the difference right away after disconnecting just the center channel?

If this 'fail-safe' mode kicks in like it's intended to, I'm surprised that no one else that have disconnected the center noticed the reduce in bass. Or is there a lot of owners experiencing this, and I just wasn't aware of it?
I ran out of ways of convincing you of this fact, even with official, verifiable evidence of this.

So let's just agree to disagree to on the subject and move on.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 01:17 PM   #80
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

There was no change in ASD or bass with my M235 and the center channel disconnected. I ran it that way for about 2 years. Toggling between Sport and Comfort resulted in a very obvious ASD sound change.

Recently I added an Eton center speaker and reconnected everything. No change in bass, ASD operation, etc.
Appreciate 1
gphung193.50
      06-11-2021, 01:30 PM   #81
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
There was no change in ASD or bass with my M235 and the center channel disconnected. I ran it that way for about 2 years. Toggling between Sport and Comfort resulted in a very obvious ASD sound change.

Recently I added an Eton center speaker and reconnected everything. No change in bass, ASD operation, etc.
Thanks for the confirmation. Mine behaved the same way.
According to Poochie's information, disconnecting one of the 4 channels (FL, FR, RL, RR) disables ASD and bass.
It may not include the center channel (or even the USWs) and maybe that's why we're not experiencing any difference.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 07:55 PM   #82
Mr. Slowly
Private
Rep
Drives: 228i

Quote:

Your "proof" doesn't show this to be happening with the centre channel disconnection.

In any case, I disconnected the centre channel, and bass actually increased. Overall sound quality (not just soundstage) is also drastically better. And I'm using stock (hi-fi) amp, under-seat woofers, etc. So, your "fact" is not a fact.

Do some experiments yourself.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 09:49 PM   #83
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Disconnected the center speaker.

To my surprise, I realized when I was playing my Spotify the audio sounded better than other sources. So I experimented...

Now I play much of my music through Spotify and my BT connection on my phone which has an Dolby Atmos EQ that sounds absolutely amazing!!! Of course it's meant for earbuds and headphones but the improved sound profile is amazing.

Some serious base and better sound stage completely without spending $1000 for an Amp/EQ!!!

Try it...
And thank me later!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 11:07 AM   #84
JG_Media9
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

Does this really make a difference in audio quality??
      11-18-2021, 12:01 PM   #85
KennyFSU
Captain
Rep
Drives: Lexus RC F

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG_Media9 View Post
Some say yes some say no. I didn't notice any difference so I guess I don't have "audiophile ears" lol. Just try it out for yourself and if you don't like it, it's easily reversible.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 12:34 PM   #86
JG_Media9
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyFSU View Post
Some say yes some say no. I didn't notice any difference so I guess I don't have "audiophile ears" lol. Just try it out for yourself and if you don't like it, it's easily reversible.
Haha yea for sure! interesting either way
      11-18-2021, 05:55 PM   #87
Mr. Slowly
Private
Rep
Drives: 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG_Media9 View Post
Absolutely, it does.

If you want more, you could upgrade the speakers. I highly recommend Focal ICBMW100L for the front doors and Focal ICBMW100 for the rear shelf. It would be slightly pricier than BavSound if you buy from Crutchfield, much cheaper than BavSound if you purchase on Ebay from Austria or Germany, but sounds way better. It's stock < BavSound <<<<< Focal.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 07:15 PM   #88
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slowly View Post
Quote:

Your "proof" doesn't show this to be happening with the centre channel disconnection.

In any case, I disconnected the centre channel, and bass actually increased. Overall sound quality (not just soundstage) is also drastically better. And I'm using stock (hi-fi) amp, under-seat woofers, etc. So, your "fact" is not a fact.

Do some experiments yourself.
I no longer have a BMW, so I don't have a dog in this fight.

However, if disconnecting the center channel speaker floats your boats, then more power to you!

BMWs run on a "CanBUS" network, any disconnected or faulty hardware within its pre-programming mapping factually triggers a 'shadow fault', within the system.

Believe me, don't believe, I'll still get my full 9 hours of sleep. It was merely just some friendly advice for those that actually cares about such potential issues..

Attached Images

Last edited by Poochie; 12-02-2021 at 07:33 PM..
Appreciate 0