THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB noise like a small electric engine behind the dash (not the vents)

11-29-2021, 04:25 PM   #1
Pbdeed
Private
Rep
Drives: M240i

noise like a small electric engine behind the dash (not the vents)

Hello,

I don't know if I'm getting paranoid but I would say that since 2 days ago this strange noise started. It's like a small engine rotating behind the dash, during 3/4 seconds and after that it stops. It happens from time to time, I would say it happens more often just after a cold start and as long as I drive it happens less frequently.

I thought it could be due to cold weather, but today the gauge said it was between like 12 ºC, and still happening.

The noise has even reproduced just after turning the engine off (I know there are some electric parts, e.g in the turbo to keep it spinning that turn off later, but this is a different sound).

I recorded it in a video (0:19 and 0:43)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zN3...ew?usp=sharing
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 04:42 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

After parking my car (`15 235) and turning it off completely, while I'm sitting I hear in about 5 to 10 minutes motors and flappers engage for the duration just like in the video above.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 01:57 AM   #3
Pbdeed
Private
Rep

Yeah, I know when turning the ignition off there are some sounds I was used to, but this is an additional one that I have even heard with the ignition off, but that I normally hear on ride (as in the video recorded, like twice per minute after starting the car ).
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 11:45 AM   #4
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

I didn't listen to the clip but my last few BMWs have all made the same noises from the cluster. One noise sounds like a flip clock flipping numbers and another like a small motor for a couple seconds. I'm guessing the new digital ones might not any more.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 01:05 PM   #5
Pbdeed
Private
Rep

I found the reason. Checked coolant level and the small reservoir, almost empty (although I didnt get the low coolant alert).

Used bimmerlink and found code 20A201 from 300km ago. And inspectioned the front radiators and in the main one, behind the grills I found coolant leaking. I refilled the reservoir but after some minutes level was lower and I could see a bigger coolant stain in the radiator.

My guess is that the sound was a fan trying to compensate the absence of coolant in the system.
Appreciate 1
overcoil3073.50