THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Costco tire install Q

10-02-2021, 06:23 AM   #1
60_Driver
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6mt vert

Question Costco tire install Q

Quick one that could probably be filed under the “no stupid questions, just stupid people” category. I just bought my first set of new tires for my very stock 2016 m235i. I got a very good deal on a staggered set of Pilot Sport AS4s during a sale a Costco. Would you let them install said tires on your car…?

I know there are certainly lower cars out there but the F23 seems extremely low to me. I also vaguely recall a conversation about the jack points on the car being less than ideal. Is it likely that Costco would damage the car? My frame of reference is probably off as its been about 11 years since I bought tires for my 2003 RSX Type-S. Since then it’s only been SUVs and heavy duty trucks for me.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 07:56 AM   #2
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

I don't know what Costco uses for equipment. I generally use shops with Hunter Road Force balancing / no-touch equipment.

Race shops are usually very good at mounting tires without beating-up on the wheels and at getting the balance spot-on; in that regard, 3D might be worth checking-out.
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2021, 08:45 AM   #3
60_Driver
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Greatly appreciated, as always! This situation is actually a little weird. I am having Rimpro repair and refinish the oem wheels. I figure it makes sense to have Costco mount the new tires first so they don’t damage the wheels right after I pay Rimpro to fix them up. Doing it in this order also allows me to keep the Costco road hazard/warranty in effect. I imagine Rimpro will do a better job with the mounting/balancing the new tires anyway. The only big negative here is that they have to be spooned on and off the wheels twice.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 01:16 PM   #4
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60_Driver View Post
Greatly appreciated, as always! This situation is actually a little weird. I am having Rimpro repair and refinish the oem wheels. I figure it makes sense to have Costco mount the new tires first so they don’t damage the wheels right after I pay Rimpro to fix them up. Doing it in this order also allows me to keep the Costco road hazard/warranty in effect. I imagine Rimpro will do a better job with the mounting/balancing the new tires anyway. The only big negative here is that they have to be spooned on and off the wheels twice.
Do you know that Costco will mount your tires in a fashion that (as far as possible) ensures they won't scratch or gouge the wheels?

Are you saying that Rimpro will mount your tires for you?

Why do the tires have to be "spooned (mounted and unmounted?) twice; is that only if Rimpro does the job?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 04:40 PM   #5
60_Driver
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Do you know that Costco will mount your tires in a fashion that (as far as possible) ensures they won't scratch or gouge the wheels?

Are you saying that Rimpro will mount your tires for you?

Why do the tires have to be "spooned (mounted and unmounted?) twice; is that only if Rimpro does the job?
That may have been unnecessarily confusing…I was distracted at work. My wheels are pretty beat. I figure, for that reason, I should have Costco mount the new tires on the beat wheels (so I get their road hazard policy), then bring them to Rimpro. My $950 quote at Rimpro included mounting and balancing the new tires.
Appreciate 1
dradernh4352.00
      10-03-2021, 10:13 AM   #6
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

I would expect RimPro to refinish the wheels without tires - better chance of making sure they are true/not bent & better final product with refinishing. Then when RimPro installs the tires any damage is on them.

Costco has great deals on tires. I've always taken loose wheels there to have tires mounted/balanced, so no need to lift the car or gin the lug bolts off/on. I don't use them for mounting tires on "cherished" wheels!
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2021, 10:27 AM   #7
60_Driver
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
I would expect RimPro to refinish the wheels without tires - better chance of making sure they are true/not bent & better final product with refinishing. Then when RimPro installs the tires any damage is on them.

Costco has great deals on tires. I've always taken loose wheels there to have tires mounted/balanced, so no need to lift the car or gin the lug bolts off/on. I don't use them for mounting tires on "cherished" wheels!
Good info, thank you. I agree that Rimpro needs to remove the tires to repair and refinish the wheels properly. I understood that’s what they planned to do. The ideal scenario would probably be the tech at Costco hands off the tires without installing them and Rimpro does all the work but I still keep my road hazard from the club. We shall see…

I looked to see what kind of equipment Costco uses for mounting and balancing but I couldn’t find anything online. I did find a similar Q in a Jaguar forum. Answers sounded fairly positive:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/trust-costco-tire-install-208292/
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 10:50 AM   #8
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Costco tire-mounting equipment may vary from store to store, but the competence of the installer will certainly vary. It's nice to have equipment where nothing metal has a chance of contacting the rim, but some people can screw anything up!
For my treasured wheels I go to a higher-end shop with new equipment for low profile/larger diameter wheels & get road force balanced.
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2021, 07:08 PM   #9
60_Driver
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Update. Had the Pilot Sport AS4s installed yesterday at the local Costco. The tech who worked on my car owned a lowered, mt car and no issues at all driving or working on mine. No complaints about the install at all.

It helped settle my nerves a bit when I saw an extremely low M5 departing after getting a new tire mounted. It was even better when I noticed a mineral gray M240xi waiting to go into the bays right ahead of me.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 07:11 PM   #10
60_Driver
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Older brother on the left.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0