THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Active Tourer Discussions Fuel pump stops filling...

02-16-2022, 03:32 AM   #1
Colin from Oz
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Active Tourer 218i Luxury Auto

Fuel pump stops filling...

Hello. I have had my BMW Series 2 Active tourer 218i for about five years.

I now have problems filling with fuel. The fuel pump repeatedly cuts out after 5-10 seconds. I have tried different positions for putting the pump in the reservoir opening.

I am wondering if it is due to a faulty Evaporative Emission Control (EVAP) System or the carbon filter (if it uses one).

Any thoughts?
Any idea of the price to replace the EVAP System, if that is necessary?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 12:02 AM   #2
msendit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin from Oz View Post
Hello. I have had my BMW Series 2 Active tourer 218i for about five years.

I now have problems filling with fuel. The fuel pump repeatedly cuts out after 5-10 seconds. I have tried different positions for putting the pump in the reservoir opening.

I am wondering if it is due to a faulty Evaporative Emission Control (EVAP) System or the carbon filter (if it uses one).

Any thoughts?
Any idea of the price to replace the EVAP System, if that is necessary?

Thanks.
I had a similar issue on my M240. Changed the charcoal canister, breather lines, and pretty much the whole EVAP system, no dice. At the end of the day, it was the soft part of the filler hose. I've never seen a hose fail like this, but I guess it's heat from the exhaust.

I'd probably check that first -- assuming the AT has it. It's a $10 piece of generic hose, and the EVAP system can get expensive (roughly ~$500 in parts).
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 12:19 AM   #3
Colin from Oz
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Active Tourer 218i Luxury Auto

Thanks for your response.
I contacted BMW and was very surprised by their response.

The chief technician told me he didn't know what the problem was, and that there was nothing in my car that would stop the flow of fuel into the tank (eg, EVAP system).

After I asked if that meant I had to buy a new car before I run out of fuel, the response was that they didn't know what they could do to find the problem and suggested trying yet another filling station and revert to them if it still didn't fill.

I tried another filling station, a Q8 (the others I tried were Shell) and it filled without a problem.

The only thing I can think of is that the local Shell stations had recently undergone some maintenance/adjustment and for some reason no longer work with my car... others seemed to be able to take fuel as those stations.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 02:06 AM   #4
postsclu6
Registered
Rep
Drives: ASD

top seo companies I’ve been searching for some decent stuff on the subject and haven't had any luck up until this point, You just got a new biggest fan!..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2022, 08:39 PM   #5
Kernel Kurtz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin from Oz View Post
The only thing I can think of is that the local Shell stations had recently undergone some maintenance/adjustment and for some reason no longer work with my car... others seemed to be able to take fuel as those stations.
The filling nozzles do have some sort of feedback (pressure?) sensor, so they will (hopefully, usually) shut off automatically when your tank is near full rather than overflowing onto the ground around the car.

I've noticed that some are set up to be much more sensitive than others, which usually necessitates holding the trigger only half pressed or so to reduce the flow rate, otherwise it just keeps clicking off. I have not run across any that you could not successfully fill at a lower rate though. Only in that case would I suspect an actual problem with the car.
Appreciate 0