THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Meth Injection - Share your experience

07-03-2017, 01:59 PM   #89
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

if it is xdrive, that tranny is going to blow as soon as you add 4 more psi of boost, not to mention throw a rod soon enough.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 03:24 PM   #90
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

If you can move the powerband upward I'd feel better about stock internals. Such as a PS2 upgrade. Reason is less TQ, which is the con-rod killer.

If ones intention is to run over 500whp, often, it's in their best interest to protect their investment by doing no less than a drop-in rod, if there is such an option? I know the VAG cars have Mahle forged pistons, and can only imagine the same in these cars, but rods are always the weak point, next to exhaust valves..
Appreciate 1
Mywifes3351631.00
      07-05-2017, 03:17 PM   #91
take1step
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: M340ix 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by take1step View Post
I got unexpected results on the dyno today. I had the BMS Methanol Injection kit recently installed on my 2016 428xi and the numbers showed more power output to the wheels on Map 2 than on Map 3. Running a 50/50 mix.

With the BMS kit is there a way of knowing when the meth is spraying? Could Meth spray on Map 2 also?

Mods: JB4, Injen intake, Wagner Catless DP, AWE Quadtip Exhaust, BMS Meth
Update: I had a leaky fuel injector, I was getting a misfire code on cylinder 2. It was causing the JB4 to bounce back to Map 0 for safety precautions. Everything's working great now, probably around 300whp.

Last edited by take1step; 07-05-2017 at 05:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 01:46 PM   #92
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 FBO M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drpoomanchu View Post
I cant imagine more than 550whp 500wtq in the m235i unless its an xdrive. Its hard enough to keep traction with the limited options for rear tires.
I have 2WD and after switching to the Federals, the car hooks up.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 11:06 PM   #93
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mywifes335 View Post
I have 2WD and after switching to the Federals, the car hooks up.
Hooks up better than MPSS? What miss are you running and what federals?

Finally got my wmi setup all sorted out. I ran e36 I'm the tank today with 100% meth on a cm 5 and cm 7. The car feels freaking beast now.

Swapping over from a single cm10. The power feels more pronounced, and much smoother.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2017, 10:39 AM   #94
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Installed (finally) the BMS meth kit, single CM10 nozzle, and running Map3.

Installed the pump underneath my intake, where the lower air box was located. Keeping everything up front being the intention, I tapped into the washer fluid reservoir and it all can be traced/removed within a couple of hours. Install could have been a lot easier had I installed a tank and the pump in the trunk, but this is usually how I have run meth in the past, and I get the low fluid warning via the OEM low level sensor.

So far so good, car is making around 16 psi with about 9* of timing advance (woohoo!) and this was with 38*C of ambient temps.

Been playing around with the start psi setting and finding that 10-11psi works best? I started at 8 but it bogged a bit, is this normal?

All in all the car is much stronger, breaks 2nd loose a bit from a roll, which it never has before (255 PSS + lsd) and the butt dyno is happy. Hoping to spend more time out in the mountains todday to do logs, etc, but really happy with how it's running, now. Thanks to all who helped sway me towards FBO/Meth it's really changed the car, and totally manageable, meaning I can still power out of corners and it's not stupid like the M4, lol
Appreciate 3
SerenVoX146.00
amw896582.50
      07-09-2017, 11:09 AM   #95
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Pics of where I tapped into the washer tank and installed the pump for anyone who doesn't want a trunk setup. Will clean up and route the lines in a more "stealth" fashion once I make sure all is good for the long term.

Remove fender liner to gain access to the washer fluid tank.

Remove the trim from the side of the fender, under the hood, to gain visual of the tank & remove the filler neck, just pull off. You will notice the vent port already in the tank, don't get too excited, as the line fits perfectly, there's another channel it goes into that prevents it from sitting at the bottom of the tank, no go.

Remove the one bolt holding the tank and it will drop toward you, simply let it tilt towards you and it'll slide right out.

This was a photo going back in, but I removed the tank completely, washed it out and drilled it on a bench with a vacuum to suck up shavings, 1/4" drill bit used, nice and tight.

Here's the tank feed, heading to the pump on the other side.

Mounted the pump onto the fender liner underneath the BMS intake with 8x heavy duty 14" tie straps, she's on there good. I can get a better visual of the mounting/wiring for anyone who wants to go this route, otherwise it's pretty much the only place up front I felt comfortable mounting it. Makes for easy removal, if necessary.

Last edited by Dylan86; 07-10-2017 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: Photobucket sucks, thats the reason.
Appreciate 2
amw896582.50
      07-09-2017, 06:55 PM   #96
SerenVoX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M235i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
Pics of where I tapped into the washer tank and installed the pump for anyone who doesn't want a trunk setup. Will clean up and route the lines in a more "stealth" fashion once I make sure all is good for the long term.

I can't see the photos.. I'm interested in going this route when I get meth. Is there a DIY guide or maybe you can write one
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 09:09 AM   #97
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenVoX View Post
I can't see the photos.. I'm interested in going this route when I get meth. Is there a DIY guide or maybe you can write one
Okay, F*** Photobucket, moved onto better things. Fixed photo issues and added some commentary for you. Was pretty straight forward, but would definitely be able to scratch up a DIY, I just didn't take a lot of photos from the start/wiring stage. Washer bottle is inside the passenger fender so basically belly pan & passenger fender liner need to be removed to gain access to everything. Lines run through the back side of the engine compartment, but have to utilize all of the line that BMS supplies you with, so you just gotta be sure of your lengths prior to cutting the tubing, unless you have more available..

Have a question, what are the AFRs supposed to be around with meth ? I'm seeing low 13s with additive set to 40 on 94oct fuel. From historic logs on pump only, I was getting the same AFRs or slightly lower (high 12's low 13s)

Last edited by Dylan86; 07-10-2017 at 01:43 PM..
Appreciate 1
SerenVoX146.00
      07-11-2017, 05:59 PM   #98
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Okay, F*** Photobucket, moved onto better things. Fixed photo issues and added some commentary for you. Was pretty straight forward, but would definitely be able to scratch up a DIY, I just didn't take a lot of photos from the start/wiring stage. Washer bottle is inside the passenger fender so basically belly pan & passenger fender liner need to be removed to gain access to everything. Lines run through the back side of the engine compartment, but have to utilize all of the line that BMS supplies you with, so you just gotta be sure of your lengths prior to cutting the tubing, unless you have more available..

Have a question, what are the AFRs supposed to be around with meth ? I'm seeing low 13s with additive set to 40 on 94oct fuel. From historic logs on pump only, I was getting the same AFRs or slightly lower (high 12's low 13s)
Glad to hear you finally did the install! Did you end up using any sorry if gasket for the tank to hose connection?

Also I'm going to use the old Google machine to look at timing affects on power now, but any way you can still up hope timing affects power in layman's terms? Particularly in the m235i and which values you would look at in a data log. I'm assuming it's ign 1.

I just finished my install last week and the car is feeling pretty beast. I think I'm just about at the perfect combo of meth settings and e85 mixture.
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      07-12-2017, 11:36 AM   #99
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwilson125 View Post
Glad to hear you finally did the install! Did you end up using any sorry if gasket for the tank to hose connection?

Also I'm going to use the old Google machine to look at timing affects on power now, but any way you can still up hope timing affects power in layman's terms? Particularly in the m235i and which values you would look at in a data log. I'm assuming it's ign 1.

I just finished my install last week and the car is feeling pretty beast. I think I'm just about at the perfect combo of meth settings and e85 mixture.
No gasket, just a tight fit is all. Thought about maybe dabbing some silicone but didn't bother as it was in there pretty good. It's in a pretty confined area as well, so not like any debris can get in there even if it was gaping..

The car feels really strong. Yeah I'm logging on Ign1, and all I meant from my previous post was that before, I could not make more than 1-2* of timing on pump gas with ambient temps after July hit. If I was at high elevation in the backroads it would sometimes reach 6-7* up top, but that's only due to boost tapering off (I think). The car now makes 16psi smoothly, with meth flow @100% and 94oct I'm seeing 10* of timing for the first time, ever! I want to think it's making more power with the added timing, it only makes sense.. I used to run about 16-17* of timing with 35psi of boost pressure in my old drag car when running pump/meth. Never had an issue, but these cars run much safer timing due to being direct injected, IIRC. I do know the AFR's on the older turbo cars was safe from mid 11's to low 12's. With the newer DI engine it seems tuners (including OEM) are running mid to high 13's until the higher rev range, where it drops into the high 12's.

Settings that are working well are:

Boost Add: 50
Flow Rate: 60
Start PSI: 8.0

Fun times, would love to try some E85 or Race Fuel but nothing in my region of any sort. Only when I go to the track..

Last edited by Dylan86; 07-12-2017 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2017, 11:31 AM   #100
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No gasket, just a tight fit is all. Thought about maybe dabbing some silicone but didn't bother as it was in there pretty good. It's in a pretty confined area as well, so not like any debris can get in there even if it was gaping..

The car feels really strong. Yeah I'm logging on Ign1, and all I meant from my previous post was that before, I could not make more than 1-2* of timing on pump gas with ambient temps after July hit. If I was at high elevation in the backroads it would sometimes reach 6-7* up top, but that's only due to boost tapering off (I think). The car now makes 16psi smoothly, with meth flow @100% and 94oct I'm seeing 10* of timing for the first time, ever! I want to think it's making more power with the added timing, it only makes sense.. I used to run about 16-17* of timing with 35psi of boost pressure in my old drag car when running pump/meth. Never had an issue, but these cars run much safer timing due to being direct injected, IIRC. I do know the AFR's on the older turbo cars was safe from mid 11's to low 12's. With the newer DI engine it seems tuners (including OEM) are running mid to high 13's until the higher rev range, where it drops into the high 12's.

Settings that are working well are:

Boost Add: 50
Flow Rate: 60
Start PSI: 8.0

Fun times, would love to try some E85 or Race Fuel but nothing in my region of any sort. Only when I go to the track..
Got it. I watched a couple videos and I think I get the concept of ignition timing a little bit better. 0-5 is meh 10-30 is good and you really have to dyno tune to adjust it from there.

Boost add 70
Flow rate 60
Start psi 8.0

I ran E36 on this tank. I plan on increasing to maybe e40. It looks like the hpfp can handle it based off of trims and hpfp data. I think the supplemental fueling by meth is allowing my to up my e85 content. Hpfp looked almost maxed out before when I ran e35 mix on map 7.

I only have multi gear logs on my phone right now but I am hitting 15-18 psi with timing floating between 10-15. I think I have seen max 19.5-20 psi so far, but not consistent yet.

Hoping that increasing e85 content keeps my avg ign value under 2 so that I can Target closer to 20. Currently avg ign jumps around from 1.6 to 2.5
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2017, 09:29 PM   #101
Drpoomanchu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M235i Man FBO

This is good stuff guys and much appreciated. I have been spending money in other places at the moment but do intend to go meth soon just too much other crap going on. I am keeping this info to set mine up here before long
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 09:51 PM   #102
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is good stuff guys and much appreciated. I have been spending money in other places at the moment but do intend to go meth soon just too much other crap going on. I am keeping this info to set mine up here before long
Awesome man can't wait to here the results. I have been lacking in updating my own thread and have been posting on here. I got everything completely sorted out about 2 Wells ago and have been running smoothly since.

Long story short, make sure the fsb is grounded properly, do not over tightening the brass compression fittings, and run the solenoid as close as you can to the nozzles.

I am liking the dual nozzle with the cm5 and cm7.

Also one more pointer. Do not purge a bunch of meth into your charge pipe then go for a drive. Very bad and I definitely did not do that haha.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2017, 10:32 PM   #103
Drpoomanchu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M235i Man FBO

Quote:
Quote:
Awesome man can't wait to here the results. I have been lacking in updating my own thread and have been posting on here. I got everything completely sorted out about 2 Wells ago and have been running smoothly since.

Long story short, make sure the fsb is grounded properly, do not over tightening the brass compression fittings, and run the solenoid as close as you can to the nozzles.

I am liking the dual nozzle with the cm5 and cm7.

Also one more pointer. Do not purge a bunch of meth into your charge pipe then go for a drive. Very bad and I definitely did not do that haha.
Lol, I?ll remember not to do that but can?t guarantee it won?t happen
I wish I could run the dual nozzles but I only have one bung unfortunately with VRSF Cp. I will try to get that sorted by the time I?m ready to install.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 06:13 AM   #104
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Lol, I?ll remember not to do that but can?t guarantee it won?t happen
I wish I could run the dual nozzles but I only have one bung unfortunately with VRSF Cp. I will try to get that sorted by the time I?m ready to install.
But hey once my engine was done blowing up my avg ign must have been 0, because map 2 pulled like a train for one pull haha.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 09:32 AM   #105
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
But hey once my engine was done blowing up my avg ign must have been 0, because map 2 pulled like a train for one pull haha.
I did it about 4-5 times while running at idle and it just had a slight hiccup then smoothed out. That aside, the "AVG IGN", that's monitoring timing pull, correct ?

🍻 D
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 09:23 PM   #106
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I did it about 4-5 times while running at idle and it just had a slight hiccup then smoothed out. That aside, the "AVG IGN", that's monitoring timing pull, correct ?

🍻 D

I would start my car every time after a purge. The car would sputter then settle down. I'd give it a couple revs and figured it was ok. After I put it back on the ground and took of for a test drive is when I had issues. Right after I hit about 8 psi very bad things happened.

Not positive, but I believe avg ign is a jb4 calculated value derived from ignition timing. If you have 0-2 avg ign then you will hit full target, if you are 2-6 avg ign you will hit a persentage of the target.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 08:53 AM   #107
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I would start my car every time after a purge. The car would sputter then settle down. I'd give it a couple revs and figured it was ok. After I put it back on the ground and took of for a test drive is when I had issues. Right after I hit about 8 psi very bad things happened.

Not positive, but I believe avg ign is a jb4 calculated value derived from ignition timing. If you have 0-2 avg ign then you will hit full target, if you are 2-6 avg ign you will hit a persentage of the target.
Okay that makes sense. So "0" would indicate no timing pull = full intended timing target, which I'm seeing 7-9* as an average from all of my meth logs. I feel the flash tunes are probably making more timing, which is why they make more power and boatloads of torque.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 09:32 PM   #108
Taunto
Car Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235 X-drive

Quote:
Okay that makes sense. So "0" would indicate no timing pull = full intended timing target, which I'm seeing 7-9* as an average from all of my meth logs. I feel the flash tunes are probably making more timing, which is why they make more power and boatloads of torque.
You know of anyone in the BC/AB area that tunes with the Flash tunes? Looking into getting the BM3 but would be nice to have a shop who upload new tunes onto a system like the BM3 for running meth like urs. Plan on doing a meth kit in the near future as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 09:35 AM   #109
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunto View Post
You know of anyone in the BC/AB area that tunes with the Flash tunes? Looking into getting the BM3 but would be nice to have a shop who upload new tunes onto a system like the BM3 for running meth like urs. Plan on doing a meth kit in the near future as well.
I honestly haven't looked into local Canadian shops who might be dealers for their software. I do plan on BM3 as well, once the track prep side of the car is done. It's plenty of power, for now.

Was at the track yesterday (Area 27 in Oliver BC) and it was power over steering when running the meth map on MPSS's. It's an F1 style track, very fast so my brakes were put to the test, big time. Still managed to lap faster than a 997 911S, M4 Cab, Ferrari F12 by a couple of seconds but they were pretty novice drivers, IMO. Only car I could not pace with was a tuned GT-R on RE-71's, and a C6 Z06 heavily modded with a good driver, but still took him 4-5 laps to approach and pass .

Note: With the washer tank I'm about 4.5 -5 liters full? I was running 20 minute sessions on this 3.1 mile track, used over half of the tank capacity as on my second session the "low fluid" light came on (shit), had to take it easy until I could get back to the pit to fill up. Also went through 1.5 tanks of fuel :O each 20 minute session I went through 1/4 tank of fuel and just over half tank of meth. It drinks!

Last edited by Dylan86; 07-25-2017 at 09:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 12:46 PM   #110
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I honestly haven't looked into local Canadian shops who might be dealers for their software. I do plan on BM3 as well, once the track prep side of the car is done. It's plenty of power, for now.

Was at the track yesterday (Area 27 in Oliver BC) and it was power over steering when running the meth map on MPSS's. It's an F1 style track, very fast so my brakes were put to the test, big time. Still managed to lap faster than a 997 911S, M4 Cab, Ferrari F12 by a couple of seconds but they were pretty novice drivers, IMO. Only car I could not pace with was a tuned GT-R on RE-71's, and a C6 Z06 heavily modded with a good driver, but still took him 4-5 laps to approach and pass .

Note: With the washer tank I'm about 4.5 -5 liters full? I was running 20 minute sessions on this 3.1 mile track, used over half of the tank capacity as on my second session the "low fluid" light came on (shit), had to take it easy until I could get back to the pit to fill up. Also went through 1.5 tanks of fuel :O each 20 minute session I went through 1/4 tank of fuel and just over half tank of meth. It drinks!
Just recently I have noticed that I have been going through it pretty quickly too. I think the dual nozzle and fixed lines made a big difference.

Before I was running a cm10 and I had a kink in the line that I didn't know about.
Appreciate 0