THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum Regional Forums UNITED KINGDOM M240i Exhaust options (UK)

11-16-2020, 03:35 AM   #1
BS75
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

M240i Exhaust options (UK)

Sorry to cross-post but I've put this thread in the B58 tuning section - just wondered if any UK based people who may not have browsed there might have input:
https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1774071

My next question following on from the difference between the two backboxes is: what have people generally done for a bit more noise, which doesn't affect warranty and won't cause issues when the first MOT comes around?

Bit of background - for several years I've had 'company' cars loaned direct from BMW but that is ending and I need to buy myself a car of my own.
Was offered my last 'company' car at a price that can't be refused so I've got a 2021 M240i.
Now, we've had a LOT of cars with various 3.0 turbo petrol engines (we have an X3 M40i right now) and the 2021 M240i is by far the most muted, boring sounding one we've ever had. Even the X3 pops and crackles and yet there's zero noise coming out of my car.
Having had a 2018 M240i which was really obnoxious for pops and bangs it's a bit disappointing - if I'm going to own this car I want it to be fun.

Any suggestions on what can be done without risking the warranty and MOT worthiness? I figured MPE was the way to go but they don't even appear to list one for my VIN and I've read that they don't do much when the car has a PPF anyway...?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 09:24 AM   #2
NewWorldOrder
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M240ix vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS75 View Post
Sorry to cross-post but I've put this thread in the B58 tuning section - just wondered if any UK based people who may not have browsed there might have input:

My next question following on from the difference between the two backboxes is: what have people generally done for a bit more noise, which doesn't affect warranty and won't cause issues when the first MOT comes around?

Bit of background - for several years I've had 'company' cars loaned direct from BMW but that is ending and I need to buy myself a car of my own.
Was offered my last 'company' car at a price that can't be refused so I've got a 2021 M240i.
Now, we've had a LOT of cars with various 3.0 turbo petrol engines (we have an X3 M40i right now) and the 2021 M240i is by far the most muted, boring sounding one we've ever had. Even the X3 pops and crackles and yet there's zero noise coming out of my car.
Having had a 2018 M240i which was really obnoxious for pops and bangs it's a bit disappointing - if I'm going to own this car I want it to be fun.

Any suggestions on what can be done without risking the warranty and MOT worthiness? I figured MPE was the way to go but they don't even appear to list one for my VIN and I've read that they don't do much when the car has a PPF anyway...?
Resonator delete. If you can only afford to do one of them, do the front one. This will make the biggest change overall to sound.

I currently have an 18 m240i with the resonators deleted and a Remus axle back. I think it sounds pretty good, but I'm eagerly waiting to install a catless down pipe.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 05:35 AM   #3
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWorldOrder View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BS75 View Post

Resonator delete. If you can only afford to do one of them, do the front one. This will make the biggest change overall to sound.

I currently have an 18 m240i with the resonators deleted and a Remus axle back. I think it sounds pretty good, but I'm eagerly waiting to install a catless down pipe.
Sounds like OP's car is PPF equipped, which means he has a PPF resonator. That can't easily be removed without causing a CEL.

OP I fitted an M2 OG exhaust to my 240i. Sounded really good. In fact I'm trying to replicate that sound on my M2C.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 05:05 AM   #4
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

I have early 2018 m240i with MPE. The main reason making me tends towards keeping the car. It pops bangs and crackles in Sport or Sport+ automatic. In manual the sweet spot is RPM between 2500 and 3000 to change gear in Sport or Sport+. Long pulling of the paddle whilst stopping leads to pops and crackles

However I am not sure MPE is available to be installed on OPF cars
      12-17-2021, 08:27 AM   #5
slinkyjynx
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

You can install the MPE on 68 plate and later...just BMW can't legally do it for you, so you'd have to go to an indy.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 04:11 AM   #6
slinkyjynx
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

MPE is just a backbox, so it'll improve the sound but it won't transform it. That being said, the tone of the MPE is fantastic, so if you coupled it with a resonator delete (or two, depending on your cars situation with the OPF/PPF from late 2018 and beyond) it'll make a very nice change indeed.

If you want a really raw, aggressive sound then a Catless downpipe will do the trick. This will cause you to fail an MOT though so a lot of people retain the old catted one and do a switcheroo pre and post MOT.

Alternatively, if you're flush for cash, you can get a sports cat downpipe which gives you the tone and performance increase as well as staying just north of the minimum MOT emissions requirements to pass.
Appreciate 0