THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications headlight casing dust and bulb burn on new cars

03-20-2019, 11:03 AM   #1
_2fast2furious_
Private
Rep
Drives: 2 series

headlight casing dust and bulb burn on new cars

For brand new bmw cars:
- Why do the bmw headlights get bulb burns so quickly onto the headlight casing compared to benz?
- Why are they so dusty underneath the headlight casing compared to benz?

In my opinion it makes the car look older even when its brand new, i live in a place crawling with bmw and benz but this was a huge difference always seeing both, and the benz always looked brand new and never had bulb burn or dust in the casing
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 08:17 PM   #2
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Never had these issues on the 5 new BMWs I’ve owned, sounds like people fitting aftermarket bulbs badly and not re-fitting the cover on the back of the headlight properly. Shouldn’t be an issue with OEM bulbs if the headlights are not damaged.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 10:10 AM   #3
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

I've never had this issue with 3 new BMW's in a row either.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 06:54 PM   #4
_2fast2furious_
Private
Rep
Drives: 2 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
Never had these issues on the 5 new BMWs I’ve owned, sounds like people fitting aftermarket bulbs badly and not re-fitting the cover on the back of the headlight properly. Shouldn’t be an issue with OEM bulbs if the headlights are not damaged.
Try turning on the night time lights, and check the bulb burn onto the casing, you will clearly see it
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 09:25 PM   #5
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by _2fast2furious_ View Post
Try turning on the night time lights, and check the bulb burn onto the casing, you will clearly see it
None on my cars, I’m assuming you aren’t talking about halogen lights, as all of my BMWs have had HID lights. With the correct BMW bulbs in them they run quite cool, headlight lens only gets to about 10C above ambient, so no way to “burn” the lens or any other part of the housing. This sounds more like an issue you have seen where people have replaced halogen bulbs with aftermarket over powered blue bulbs or poorly designed HID kits that run too hot.

If you have seen dust inside the headlight units, this is a further indication they have been opened up and are no longer standard. Other than OEM HID lights losing brightness after about 5 years, like all other HID systems, I’ve had no issues with lights on BMWs I’ve kept over 8 years.
Appreciate 0