THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Presets and Personalized Menu at start-up

03-20-2019, 10:01 AM   #1
Cabrio330
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i F23

Presets and Personalized Menu at start-up

I have stored several presets, which include both FM radio stations and satellite radio channels. I have also modified the "Personalized Menu" feature so that the only two media sources that will scroll when I press the steering wheel button are (1) Presets and (2) my smartphone for bluetooth media.

I have also saved my Driver Profile with the only key that I ever use.

Each time I start the car, sometimes the default media source is either FM radio or satellite radio, not Presets even if I was in Presets when I last turned the car off. Also, sometimes when I push the steering wheel button to scroll to my other media source, Satellite Radio appears as one of the options, even though I have previously deselected it from the Personalized Menu. When this happens, I check and sure enough Satellite Radio has magically been reselected as a source in the Personalized Menu.

I cannot detect a pattern that indicates when these two problems pop up, it seems to be pretty random.

Anyone else having similar issues? Anyone have any ideas if there is a permanent fix? Or perhaps this is just a bug I have to live with? First world problem, I know.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 09:32 AM   #2
mburg
MBurg
Rep
Drives: '22 230

Yes, I am having the same problem, and it's been there since I picked up my '19 230 in September of last year. Sometimes the same preset 'station' is on - either FM (NPR) or satellite, but when I try to scroll using the controls on the steering wheel, I am in the mode of the station, not in 'presets'. I have programmed one of the buttons above the radio area, for presets. When I hit that, it sometimes stays on the same channel, but often takes me to another preset channel. Very frustrating and was not an issue on my previous '16 225.

It's a bit of a shlep to take the car back to dealer, so have been waiting for my 1st oil change to have them address this. My guess it that it's something to do with the software.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 07:41 PM   #3
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

I can say the same issue occurs in my wife's 18' X1 and my 19' M240i. In addition my speed warning resets every time I turn the car off.

As a software developer my gut tells me these are bugs and at some point BMW will release a software update with various other fixes.

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 03:37 PM   #4
Cabrio330
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks, guys.

mburg, I also have one of the programmable buttons set for "Presets" as a quick solution to this nagging problem. Of course, then I have to push the Map button by the idrive controller because I want a full-screen map on the main display, not my presets! And I have not found a quick solution to having an unwanted source show up when I scroll sources via the steering wheel button.

xantdieselx, no doubt you are right but I am not optimistic that BMW will prioritize solving this bug. Which sucks for me because it is literally my only problem with the car! Fortunately for me, I don't use speed warnings!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 07:37 PM   #5
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrio330 View Post
Thanks, guys.

mburg, I also have one of the programmable buttons set for "Presets" as a quick solution to this nagging problem. Of course, then I have to push the Map button by the idrive controller because I want a full-screen map on the main display, not my presets! And I have not found a quick solution to having an unwanted source show up when I scroll sources via the steering wheel button.

xantdieselx, no doubt you are right but I am not optimistic that BMW will prioritize solving this bug. Which sucks for me because it is literally my only problem with the car! Fortunately for me, I don't use speed warnings!
Cabrio it's interesting because I noticed the preset issue not long after we purchased the X1. I chalked it up to me not driving the car too often. In my M240i I did the same thing as you, set one of the quick access buttons to presets. I also find that it does not work 100% of the time but using the mode button on the steering does. Go figure. First world problems right.

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 07:28 AM   #6
mburg
MBurg
Rep
Drives: '22 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrio330 View Post
Thanks, guys.

Same issue - hitting preset button and then the map button - AND, hitting the preset most often changes the station to some other preset than what is on!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 08:19 AM   #7
Cabrio330
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Update: I have noticed these problems don't show up if I put on my seat belt prior to starting the car. I also now wait a bit longer after the Confirm screen disappears and everything computer-related fully boots up, before I change sources or change preset stations. Previously I would always start my car then put on my seat belt, and would be quicker to either change the audio source or preset station.

So perhaps the system reading an unbuckled seat belt causes the start-up process to deviate and thus miss the sequence where some previous settings are checked/restored.

Just a theory anyway. I will keep trying this approach for awhile longer.
Appreciate 0