THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Dinan Exhaust + Resonator delete?

02-26-2019, 08:01 PM   #1
richardddd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

Dinan Exhaust + Resonator delete?

Hey everyone,

I've searched the forums for my specific question, but I couldn't the answer I was looking for. I was hoping to get some advice.

I recently purchased the Dinan Free Flow Exhaust for my 228i and I was wondering if there are any other exhausts mods I should do. I'm considering a resonator delete, and I'm willing to live with the drone, but will the sound be worth it or noticeable?

Thanks for reading!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 08:46 AM   #2
CapitaineBeaver
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230i xDrive

Subscribed ! I have a 230i with the dinan exhaust too (which is supposed to be the same as you) so wondering about this. I'm considering a downpipe but still unsure since this one is a lease.
      03-20-2019, 01:25 PM   #3
CapitaineBeaver
Private
Canada
Rep

After lack of answer and my local shop went positive it should be great, I will be doing the resonator delete on my 230i next week to go with the Dinan axleback.
      03-23-2019, 02:24 AM   #4
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS & Ferrari Roma

Garage List
I have the m235i MPE on my 228i with the resonator deleted. sounds great and drone is minimal with the windows up in comfort mode with the exhaust valve closed on one side. Had it for 2 years more and it's my daily.

and yes there is a noticeable sound difference with the resonator gone, more burbles and a louder bang on the upshif5
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 01:23 PM   #5
CapitaineBeaver
Private
Canada
Rep

Quick update.
Resonator was deleted this morning
So far, sound has increased by maybe 5-10% over just the Dinan axleback.
The exhaust seems also a bit happier to burble and pop without beeing obnoxious (on stock tune)
Can't wait to see when bootmod3 drops the difference burble will make.
      03-30-2019, 10:28 AM   #6
richardddd
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitaineBeaver View Post
Quick update.
The exhaust seems also a bit happier to burble and pop without beeing obnoxious (on stock tune)
That's awesome. What made you choose Dinan over MPE? I deleted the resonator and had the exhaust installed. It is a bit louder, but I'm a bit underwhelmed. There are no burbles or pops. Currently using F Series JB Plus Quick Install Tuner but no other mods.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 10:32 AM   #7
richardddd
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSf22 View Post
I have the m235i MPE on my 228i with the resonator deleted. sounds great and drone is minimal with the windows up in comfort mode with the exhaust valve closed on one side. Had it for 2 years more and it's my daily.

and yes there is a noticeable sound difference with the resonator gone, more burbles and a louder bang on the upshif5
This was my original plan, but I've read the Dinan exhaust was supposed to be louder and have a very slight increase in performance. The increase in performance is barely noticeable. If money wasn't an issue, I would go with the MPE.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 05:30 PM   #8
CapitaineBeaver
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardddd View Post
Quote:
Quick update.
That's awesome. What made you choose Dinan over MPE? I deleted the resonator and had the exhaust installed. It is a bit louder, but I'm a bit underwhelmed. There are no burbles or pops. Currently using F Series JB Plus Quick Install Tuner but no other mods.
Because the is no MPE for the 230i, didnt wanted to buy the diffuser for the 235/240 MPE and mostly because the dealer had it laying around and they discounted it for me.
      03-31-2019, 03:56 AM   #9
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS & Ferrari Roma

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardddd View Post
This was my original plan, but I've read the Dinan exhaust was supposed to be louder and have a very slight increase in performance. The increase in performance is barely noticeable. If money wasn't an issue, I would go with the MPE.
Ah that's a shame! The 235 MPE has a lot of burbles bangs and pops even before the resonator delete. Once the resonator was deleted the overrun lifting off at 3k+ rpm nets you a lot of burbles. Also, exhausts tend to get a bit louder over time due to the carbon build up.

I would suggest the MPE as it looks a lot better, I have a video of the exhaust

My friend uploaded this video for me, this is my car. The exhaust and resonator was very recently done so it has become a lot louder now with a deeper tone now.

Appreciate 1
biz4two14.50
      03-31-2019, 12:14 PM   #10
richardddd
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSf22 View Post
Ah that's a shame! The 235 MPE has a lot of burbles bangs and pops even before the resonator delete. Once the resonator was deleted the overrun lifting off at 3k+ rpm nets you a lot of burbles. Also, exhausts tend to get a bit louder over time due to the carbon build up.

I would suggest the MPE as it looks a lot better, I have a video of the exhaust

My friend uploaded this video for me, this is my car. The exhaust and resonator was very recently done so it has become a lot louder now with a deeper tone now.

Thanks for all the replies, guys. Your car is how I want my car to sound.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 11:18 AM   #11
KeyboardRacer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i M-Sport

Garage List
2016 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quick update.
Hey! Just wondering if there was any drone with this set up? I just got the Dinan exhaust for the 228i and though it's louder and deeper, there's not much character to it. If there isn't any drone, I'm planning to take the resonator out
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 08:57 AM   #12
CapitaineBeaver
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyboardRacer View Post
Quote:
Quick update.
Hey! Just wondering if there was any drone with this set up? I just got the Dinan exhaust for the 228i and though it's louder and deeper, there's not much character to it. If there isn't any drone, I'm planning to take the resonator out
Drone to me was minimal and mostly in winter time when the car was frozen and disapeared when the exhaust got to temp. I still wish it would pop even more than it is already (awaiting BM3 for B48) but it's a nice sounding exhaust not too out there.

TLDR : Drone is minimal/non-existant.
      07-08-2019, 01:05 PM   #13
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0