THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Florida Commuter

01-25-2019, 02:43 PM   #1
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Florida Commuter

I think there should be a dedicated category called "Florida" tire.

See, we don't get cold temps here, so the need for rubber that stays soft or special tread patterns is moot. So to speed rating being unimportant since it's not possible to ever drive that fast ; )
We also can't use a dedicated summer tire because 1) it's wet all the time and 2) the roads are horrible (they get chewed up fast) 3) they are loud and get poorer mileage although that may be subjective

So what I'm looking for is, the quietest tire that fits the 17" stock rims that has maximum performance in the wet.

When you look at the specs and see how the tires do on the track, they are separated by fractions of a second, which in the real world means it doesn't matter.
This vehicle was not purchased to track or auto/x but to be a DD. So no sport suspensions or low profile tires (which is why I'm not prioritizing a soft riding tire, the car already has the soft settings so I can be aggressive in tread). It just needs to be quiet to be comfortable.

What does that leave me with? Avoiding the summer category entirely? Sticking to no-seasons which seems like an inappropriate use of tire for a sporty car - or is that label just marketing now and an extreme performance all season is really just a very high performance tire which also happens to work in colder temps negating the need to even look at the summer category altogether?
Or just be honest and stick to 'grand touring'?

Seth
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 03:14 PM   #2
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethwas View Post
I think there should be a dedicated category called "Florida" tire.

See, we don't get cold temps here, so the need for rubber that stays soft or special tread patterns is moot. So to speed rating being unimportant since it's not possible to ever drive that fast ; )
We also can't use a dedicated summer tire because 1) it's wet all the time and 2) the roads are horrible (they get chewed up fast) 3) they are loud and get poorer mileage although that may be subjective

So what I'm looking for is, the quietest tire that fits the 17" stock rims that has maximum performance in the wet.

When you look at the specs and see how the tires do on the track, they are separated by fractions of a second, which in the real world means it doesn't matter.
This vehicle was not purchased to track or auto/x but to be a DD. So no sport suspensions or low profile tires (which is why I'm not prioritizing a soft riding tire, the car already has the soft settings so I can be aggressive in tread). It just needs to be quiet to be comfortable.

What does that leave me with? Avoiding the summer category entirely? Sticking to no-seasons which seems like an inappropriate use of tire for a sporty car - or is that label just marketing now and an extreme performance all season is really just a very high performance tire which also happens to work in colder temps negating the need to even look at the summer category altogether?
Or just be honest and stick to 'grand touring'?

Seth
Continental DW is great for your conditions and they're very quiet. I grew up in Hawaii most of my life where we were summer year 'round but got a lot of tropical rains. BTW the DW stands for DRY/WET not to be mistaken for their DWS (dry, wet, snow).
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 03:41 PM   #3
Ft_LaudM235i
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
I love my OEM Pilot Sports in wet and dry and plan on replacing them with the new PS4
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 05:32 PM   #4
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

In your situation, I'd call Tire Rack.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 08:11 PM   #5
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'll look into the continentals, and am trying to stay away from asking the stores because I don't want to fall into the marketing trap of 'summer is better than all season' because that's nonsense.
A high grip tire is a high grip tire regardless of what 'type' it is. That and they may be able to look at some metrics in general, but not what was specifically used on an F22 and was hoping for some first hand experience.
I'll let you know what they say.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 02:49 PM   #6
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I got some feedback - the continental DW was discontinued. It was replaced by the ExtremeContact Sport.
This is considered a summer tire, and falls under the "Max" category (one level under "extreme")

According to the rack the Pirelli PZ4 and Michelin PS4S both were quieter and got better mileage.

This was on a 430i for testing.

The Continental SSR (I think OEM) are almost 100% more money per tire it's crazy. And that is only a 'grand touring' tire. Must be the RFT that adds to the cost.

Switching to UHP tires, a step under "Max" they liked the BF Gforce comp2, this was ahead of the others in wet traction and noise. Bridgestone RE760 was a close second followed by Dunlop DZ102 and finally Yokohama S Drive.
That test was on a F30.

Since the Michelin isn't available in BMW OEM sizes it's out of the running. And price wise the Max tires and UHP tires are the same.
I can't seem to find a direct comparison between the Max and UHP which is sort of exactly what I want to know.

Will see if I get more info on noise.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 02:58 PM   #7
hwntime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I got some feedback - the continental DW was discontinued. It was replaced by the ExtremeContact Sport.
This is considered a summer tire, and falls under the "Max" category (one level under "extreme")

According to the rack the Pirelli PZ4 and Michelin PS4S both were quieter and got better mileage.

This was on a 430i for testing.

The Continental SSR (I think OEM) are almost 100% more money per tire it's crazy. And that is only a 'grand touring' tire. Must be the RFT that adds to the cost.

Switching to UHP tires, a step under "Max" they liked the BF Gforce comp2, this was ahead of the others in wet traction and noise. Bridgestone RE760 was a close second followed by Dunlop DZ102 and finally Yokohama S Drive.
That test was on a F30.

Since the Michelin isn't available in BMW OEM sizes it's out of the running. And price wise the Max tires and UHP tires are the same.
I can't seem to find a direct comparison between the Max and UHP which is sort of exactly what I want to know.

Will see if I get more info on noise.
Noise level rating reviews are very subjective in my opinion. I'm currently on Michelin AS3+ because of all the great reviews and how quiet they're supposed to be but I'll tell you from first hand experience that these are some of the loudest tires I've ever been on, and many others will agree with me. Due your due diligence and choose what you think suits your needs best. I personally like Conti DWS A/S because of where I live and how much cold and wet we have throughout the year.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 03:10 PM   #8
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I agree with you on noise. It's totally subjective.

According to the rack I should avoid the summer category entirely.
Too stiff, too fast to wear, generally not good for a daily driver.

They said to stick to all seasons and can choose between run flat or not.

Their top choices were the Bridgestone Driveguard in run flat which is good for a run flat but not in general.
The non run flat choice was the Yokohama Avid GT which they said is simply the best they have. Super quiet and amazing wet performance.

Looking into reviews now.

Seth
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 04:20 PM   #9
hwntime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I agree with you on noise. It's totally subjective.

According to the rack I should avoid the summer category entirely.
Too stiff, too fast to wear, generally not good for a daily driver.

They said to stick to all seasons and can choose between run flat or not.

Their top choices were the Bridgestone Driveguard in run flat which is good for a run flat but not in general.
The non run flat choice was the Yokohama Avid GT which they said is simply the best they have. Super quiet and amazing wet performance.

Looking into reviews now.

Seth
I honestly, without hesitation, would recommend the Conti DWS for a true 4-season A/S if that's what you're after, although I don't think you guys see below 40 degrees in FL so you probably don't need them. I had them on my E92 335i and Infiniti G37 and absolutely loved them. I was about to get them a few months ago but was sold by all the great reviews on the Mich AS3+. Unfortunately, I found the Mich way too loud for my liking and they harden up a bit too much under 40 degrees. I'm going back to Conti DWS once these AS3+ wear down.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 05:55 PM   #10
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep

thanks,

I'll see if I can find some available locally. Here it's lots of Bridgestone and Michelin. Occasionally Goodyear. The rest seem to be tricky/special order.

this was the top 4:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=237

Seth
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 06:27 PM   #11
hwntime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
thanks,

I'll see if I can find some available locally. Here it's lots of Bridgestone and Michelin. Occasionally Goodyear. The rest seem to be tricky/special order.

this was the top 4:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=237

Seth
I wasn't even aware of the new grand touring Conti's. I am partial to Conti from past experiences with their tires and it looks like it was the most balanced tire of this group. Another thing to consider is that a set of Conti's are typically $100+ more cheaper than it's direct Michelin competitor tire, on top of whatever extra rebates are available at that time. You should look at Discount Tire if you have one nearby. They will match any price you may find online.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 10:03 AM   #12
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I actually just found the DWS at Sears of all places in the correct sizes.

That may just be the ticket although they didn't like them here:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=230

also a tire rack commenter said the bridgestone driveguard drove better than the DWS on his 3 series.

Seth

Last edited by sethwas; 01-29-2019 at 11:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 11:15 AM   #13
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

conti dws06, mich ps4.
keep it summer all seasons and you will be quiet and have a longer life.

If you want sporty but still quiet enough, try the bridgestone re71r. This is a more track, extreme summer tire that will provide max grip but less life.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 11:45 AM   #14
hwntime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I actually just found the DWS at Sears of all places in the correct sizes.

That may just be the ticket although they didn't like them here:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=230

also a tire rack commenter said the bridgestone driveguard drove better than the DWS on his 3 series.

Seth
That's one of the reviews I read that lead me to the AS3+ unfortunately. They are good in 40+ temps but they harden up quite a bit in the 30's and get a bit too squirrely for my liking. Not to mention how damn loud they are, and that's the biggest issue I have with the AS3+. If it weren't for the noisiness, I think I'd be satisfied with the Michelin's even with the questionable cold weather performance but, the noise is the deal killer for me. I'm actually driving very aggressive so I can wear them down sooner than later and go back to the DWS06. Again, this is just my opinion on the two tires but I do speak from experience with past DWS06 (2 sets), DWS, and current AS3+ so take it for what it's worth.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 02:41 PM   #15
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep

believe me I appreciate it.

The same tire will sound and feel completely different in a different car. So while someone may like how it works in a 3 series, and that's super close to a 2 series, it's not a 2. So hearing how they worked in a 2 is very helpful.

I remember when I had a maxima and went from the michelin premiers to the pilots and there was a considerable change in tire hum loudness.

Seth
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 02:49 PM   #16
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post
conti dws06, mich ps4.
keep it summer all seasons and you will be quiet and have a longer life.
I'm not sure what you mean use a summer style tire in all 4 seasons? or use an ultra high performance all season.
the PS4 is not available in the OEM rim size only the PS2.
The bridgestone RE980 seems to be a better fit than the RE71R for my uses.

For my situation the Premier is a better bet than the Pilots, and the Continental purecontact is better than the DWS it seems.
The Yokohama Avid beats both in the wet but the others beat it elsewhere. The continental is more luxurious than the michelin which is firmer.

None are RFT's which is a concern as this is my daily and I use it to shuttle people often where getting stranded (no spare no jack no nothing) would be an issue.

I'm going to avoid the pilot AS3 of course

Seth
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 03:06 PM   #17
hwntime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean use a summer style tire in all 4 seasons? or use an ultra high performance all season.
The bridgestone RE980 seems to be a better fit than the RE71R for my uses.

For my situation the Premier is a better bet than the Pilots, and the Continental purecontact is better than the DWS it seems.
The Yokohama Avid beats both in the wet but the others beat it elsewhere. The continental is more luxurious than the michelin which is firmer.

None are RFT's which is a concern as this is my daily and I use it to shuttle people often where getting stranded (no spare no jack no nothing) would be an issue.

I'm going to avoid the pilot AS3 of course

Seth
Oh man, please stay away from runflats. I blew out 2 sidewalls in less than 6 months with my current car and I blew one out on my last E92. It is a very common occurance with RFT's according to my BMW dealership and the guys at my local Discount Tire. The sidewalls are so stiff that if you hit a hard bump or pothole, there's nowhere for the tire to flex so the air has to move somewhere, and that somewhere is outward. RFT bulges are very common and to replace them are VERY expensive ($300+ per tire). I have BMW roadside assistance along with roadside assistance with my insurance company. On long road trips I carry a full size 5th wheel/tire and scissor jack in my trunk just in case I get a flat in the middle of nowhere without any cell phone reception.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 07:19 PM   #18
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Tirerack has the PS4S available in the OEM sizes:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 10:35 AM   #19
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks,

I'm on OEM 17's so no dice
205/50 17

But yeah - I've been reading everywhere on the RFT sidewall situation.
That seems to be the only problem with the Bridgestone Driveguards. That they can't take a hit.

Funny thing is - I'm so used to the Falken, Toyo, Sumitomo, Kumho options which I used to have on my Nissan back in the day and I haven't seen anything like that.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=221
They are in the 'high performance' all season which is basically the middle ground between a touring tire (quiet and high tread life) and a UHP tire (loud and low tread life).

I guess I could always do this for a spare:
https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...mpleted-4.html

Seth

Last edited by sethwas; 01-30-2019 at 10:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 11:38 AM   #20
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Thanks,

205/50 17

That seems to be the only problem with the Bridgestone Driveguards. That they can't take a hit.

Funny thing is - I'm so used to the Falken, Toyo, Sumitomo, Kumho options which I used to have on my Nissan back in the day and I haven't seen anything like that.
They are in the 'high performance' all season which is basically the middle ground between a touring tire (quiet and high tread life) and a UHP tire (loud and low tread life).

Seth
On the F22 OEM 17x7.5 wheels, BMW fits 225/45-17 tyres from the factory, I would think the 225/45-17 PS4S would be a good choice to replace the 205/50-17 tyres, they can be mounted to 7.0" to 8.5" wide 17" wheels. There shouldn't be any offset or clearance issues, as it is a standard size factory fit.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 11:44 AM   #21
hwntime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks,

205/50 17

Seth
This is a BMW OEM spare. I believe this particular model was a confirmed fit on the F22 but you might want to double check. It's a cheap alternative and it's small enough if you don't want to do the full size spare. http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Perfor...xoCmtkQAvD_BwE You can get a $15 scissor jack from amazon and a $10 breaker bar with a 17mm socket end and you're good to go. I have this and it's surprisingly of really good quality and the socket fits into narrow holes https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 01:04 PM   #22
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep

that telescoping wrench is pretty slick. thanks!

Seth
Appreciate 0