THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Open Source A/V Integration (Backup Camera)

09-15-2016, 02:27 AM   #45
XieJin
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i xDrive

I've ordered this box aswell. Can we get a video of when you do a parallel parking and also one where you switch to the screen mirroring?

Edit: Trying to order a camera now but can't find the one you've listed. Anything i need to think about in terms of resolution/pal/ntsc/other compatibility issues? BTW my car is from europe
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 02:29 PM   #46
fancyfl1ght
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

HMDI Switching

Quote:
Originally Posted by XieJin View Post
I've ordered this box aswell. Can we get a video of when you do a parallel parking and also one where you switch to the screen mirroring?

Edit: Trying to order a camera now but can't find the one you've listed. Anything i need to think about in terms of resolution/pal/ntsc/other compatibility issues? BTW my car is from europe

The actual screen has no vertical lines. It's the video camera.
Alpine White BMW 228i (Stripper Special with Lighting Package as the ONLY option), HD-LINK IW06B-N23 Backup Camera & HDMI Input, Technic ASD Removal Harness (Wire Nut Mod), Technic Hifi Harness, Focal FDP 6.900, Hertz Energy ECX 100.5.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 02:36 PM   #47
fancyfl1ght
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Parallel Parking

Quote:

Alpine White BMW 228i (Stripper Special with Lighting Package as the ONLY option), HD-LINK IW06B-N23 Backup Camera & HDMI Input, Technic ASD Removal Harness (Wire Nut Mod), Technic Hifi Harness, Focal FDP 6.900, Hertz Energy ECX 100.5.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 02:39 PM   #48
fancyfl1ght
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The AV Box is NTSC

Quote:

PAL is not supported. You will need a NTSC camera. There is one on the AV box website. It's the Sony Super CCD Camera.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 12:56 PM   #49
gandorn
Registered
Rep
Drives: 228

thanks a lot for your post on this matter
I'm planning to add a camera to my 228 as you guys did but I have a couple questions on the camera and how to route the power.
the cameras I've seen come with a short power cable that is meant to be connected to the rear lights, but from what I understand that setting doesn't work for BMWs. could you guys provide some more detail on how you installed the camera and run the power cable to the AV unit? if you could also provide a link to the sony camera you used, that one seems to have a better resolution that the 15$ one from amazon
thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 05:07 PM   #50
fancyfl1ght
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Here's the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandorn View Post
thanks a lot for your post on this matter
I'm planning to add a camera to my 228 as you guys did but I have a couple questions on the camera and how to route the power.
the cameras I've seen come with a short power cable that is meant to be connected to the rear lights, but from what I understand that setting doesn't work for BMWs. could you guys provide some more detail on how you installed the camera and run the power cable to the AV unit? if you could also provide a link to the sony camera you used, that one seems to have a better resolution that the 15$ one from amazon
thanks guys
The power and ground from the camera must follow the video cable all the way up to the AV box. You will need to connect the power and ground for the camera to the AV box. You can posi-tap the wires together if its not long enough with additional wire. DO NOT connect the cameras power wire to the tail light, you may run into an error.

The SONY CCD Camera is sold by the vendor of the AV Box. You can't miss it. It's here:

http://indiwork.co.kr/shop/parts/camera/k2000-cd/

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 05:53 AM   #51
XieJin
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

i've done part of this install now, looking for info on how to disassemble the center console without ruining anything so that i can actually hook everything up. The camera install and running the cable to the front is actually VERY simple.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 09:11 AM   #52
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Quote:
i've done part of this install now, looking for info on how to disassemble the center console without ruining anything so that i can actually hook everything up. The camera install and running the cable to the front is actually VERY simple.
XieJin Can you provide a link to the camera that you used? Thanks.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 11:28 AM   #53
fancyfl1ght
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Easy, Just. . .

Quote:
Pull the air condition vent toward you and up. It snaps out. The rest is obvious.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 05:34 PM   #54
XieJin
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

I've done the complete install and it is working properly besides for 2 minor things.

When i stream the phone image to the screen in landscape, it does not fill up the entire screen.

When the rear camera is enabled, it only fills up the right part of the screen, its not centered or anything.

Anyone experience these issues? First i thought it was an issue with the dip switches but i'm current running 1 and 3 on which should be the correct setting for my screen.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 07:48 PM   #55
fancyfl1ght
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

This should not happen.

Quote:
I've done the complete install and it is working properly besides for 2 minor things.

When i stream the phone image to the screen in landscape, it does not fill up the entire screen.

When the rear camera is enabled, it only fills up the right part of the screen, its not centered or anything.

Anyone experience these issues? First i thought it was an issue with the dip switches but i'm current running 1 and 3 on which should be the correct setting for my screen.
Are you using APCAST to stream the phone to the screen? Or something else?

As for the rear view camera you need to set the correct DIP switch values based on the size of your screen.

These DIP switch values are No.9 and No. 10.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 01:12 PM   #56
XieJin
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyfl1ght View Post
Are you using APCAST to stream the phone to the screen? Or something else?

As for the rear view camera you need to set the correct DIP switch values based on the size of your screen.

These DIP switch values are No.9 and No. 10.
i'm using miracast to send the picture to a microsoft wireless display adapter.

I have not set the dip switches on 9 and 10, they are both off. I've got the nav screen (8.8" i think)
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 01:22 PM   #57
fancyfl1ght
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Try This

Quote:
i'm using miracast to send the picture to a microsoft wireless display adapter.

I have not set the dip switches on 9 and 10, they are both off. I've got the nav screen (8.8" i think)
Set the DIP switch for 6.5" screen, either TPO or Johnson. If that does not work, try going into the options screen:

Press Option button for 5 seconds and goto Rear view camera settings. From there you can change the position of the image.

Worse come to worse, you can reset the device:

Press the Back button for 10 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 01:54 AM   #58
XieJin
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Set the DIP switch for 6.5" screen, either TPO or Johnson. If that does not work, try going into the options screen:

Press Option button for 5 seconds and goto Rear view camera settings. From there you can change the position of the image.

Worse come to worse, you can reset the device:

Press the Back button for 10 seconds.
It seems i can't move the actual camera image, only the guide line overlay.

Changing the dip switches seems to have changed nothing. I have been able to get full screen working using my laptop. It seems to be a resolution issue when my phone tries to negotiate with the MWDA. I will contact the support about this.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 12:23 PM   #59
fancyfl1ght
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

What Miracast System Are You Using?

Quote:
It seems i can't move the actual camera image, only the guide line overlay.

Changing the dip switches seems to have changed nothing. I have been able to get full screen working using my laptop. It seems to be a resolution issue when my phone tries to negotiate with the MWDA. I will contact the support about this.
I'm having issues with APCAST, so I'm thinking of alternative. My hardwire version works really well but I rather do wireless screen sharing.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 04:06 AM   #60
XieJin
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

I've also noticed that the guide lines to not represent the width of the car. I have mailed the support to ask if there is any way of adjusting the width of the guide lines as well as the position of the camera image.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 05:20 AM   #61
XieJin
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

I received response from the supplier now and the guide line width is not adjustable =( To get the camera full screen one needs to hold the controller to the right for 2 seconds and it should become full screen.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 03:45 AM   #62
XieJin
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

So i've tried getting fullscreen using a cable that was also not possible, seems something in the scaling negotiation just doesn't work. Infact wireless hdmi and using a hdmi cable yielded exactly the same result.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 07:57 AM   #63
gandorn
Registered
Rep
Drives: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Ho View Post
Attachment 1471838

Installed today, decided to go with the wired approach for my HDMI solution. Here's a pic of me testing with my Amazon Firestick until I get my Apple AV cable.

Interesting things I noted during my install:

- Configt's videos here http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1086290 were a huge help, if you need hand-holding like I did. They are for the Bimmer Tech AV Box, but the basic install is about 90% the same.
- I opted for a cheap reverse camera ($15) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 on Amazon, and honestly it looks as good as all the rear view cameras I've used. Maybe I'm missing out, but it works flawlessly.
- I was able to install the rear camera without removing any of the panels in the trunk, except for the lid (see Configt's video above)
- The AV Box comes with instructions in Korean, but are easy to find in English on their website if you punch in the model number.
- Similar setups require the use of an infrared remote control. I absolutely love love love how this interfaces directly with the iDrive controller, thus requiring one less thing to mess around with!
- Total cost for me: $300 (AV box w/shipping overseas) + $15 (rear camera) + $8 (posi-taps wire taps) = $323. Not bad, considering how much more similar setups run at Bimmer Tech and the like, plus the install is about the same (minus the ease of the plug & play harness).

Took me about 4.5 hours, but I'm sure it can be done much quicker. Thanks for the tips and being a pioneer by testing out this AV box fancyfl1ght; your posts were exteremely helpful!

I did the whole installation used the same camera but it seems the camera is set too low so I cannot have a complete view when in reverse. thinking about getting a different camera but don't know if you had the same issue with your 2 series?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 08:30 PM   #64
fancyfl1ght
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Depends On What You Want

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandorn View Post
I did the whole installation used the same camera but it seems the camera is set too low so I cannot have a complete view when in reverse. thinking about getting a different camera but don't know if you had the same issue with your 2 series?
To see the whole view you may need to try a fish eye style camera that is used on Acuras and Honda to get the whole view.

I don't personally like a fish eye style view but a more realistic view. I don't have an issue with rear view since I can see way back further than the OEM camera.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 11:54 AM   #65
Theoneandonly
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F22 218i M Sport, F48 18d xLin

Quote:
To complete the installation, you will need to tap power, ground, can+, and can- from the radio harness. Wow! What rats nest of wires!
Fancyfl1ght, need your advice. I finally got my box and just tried installing it but no joy. The red light flashes when I insert the power cable for a brief moment and then nothing. I’m sure there is power going in but no idea why the box won’t stay on.

Any help appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 12:00 PM   #66
fancyfl1ght
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Return the item. It's defective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoneandonly View Post
Fancyfl1ght, need your advice. I finally got my box and just tried installing it but no joy. The red light flashes when I insert the power cable for a brief moment and then nothing. I’m sure there is power going in but no idea why the box won’t stay on.

Any help appreciated.
The box should turn on with the red light continuously on. Ask for another one.
Appreciate 0