THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Things that BMW does right

02-18-2019, 10:45 PM   #1
M235ForNow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i

Things that BMW does right

I keep seeing the Things I Hate about my 2 series and besides always thinking "how can you HATE anything about the car - annoying is about the max I register" I thought I'd mention something that BMW does VERY right. Namely watch out for forgetful goofs.

Which would be me. I left my key in my jeans pocket and put it in the laundry for washing. Which my wife did. When I couldn't find it, querying my Cube key finder led me, ominously, to the laundry room. Gulp.

Two months later, a beautifully operating BMW key was AGAIN left in the pocket and hence into the washing machine. Oh noooooooo.

Yet - each time - when I pulled it out, dripping wet, it still worked. I popped the case open and each time there was water intrusion, which I cleaned out.

Pretty surprised that neither time gave it the final coup de grace. So yay for BMW for making robust keys!
Appreciate 3
      02-19-2019, 01:11 PM   #2
Climate Changer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i xdrive convertible

Garage List
2018 230i xdrive co ...  [0.00]
2019 x3  [0.00]
I lost my FOB a few times always seems to slide out of the key for some reason.
Once was for a few months in the winter found it in my garden in the spring time. Worked like a charm.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 05:39 AM   #3
Shovelman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i

I'm on the positive post

Went looking for a small sporty RWD car with stick and a trunk that holds golf clubs. Not much else out there and a 230 fills the niche perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 08:41 AM   #4
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Today, "Hate" is word used frequently when a lesser word would certainly suffice. Seems we live in a society of polar opposites. Love it/hate it nothing in between. I suppose that's a "First World" created malady.

I have annoyances, but in the grand scheme of things, quite trivial wen compared to real world hardships.
Appreciate 1
Sportstick4648.50
      02-21-2019, 08:52 AM   #5
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
Today, "Hate" is word used frequently when a lesser word would certainly suffice. Seems we live in a society of polar opposites. Love it/hate it nothing in between. I suppose that's a "First World" created malady.

I have annoyances, but in the grand scheme of things, quite trivial wen compared to real world hardships.
Completely agree and seems to be of relatively recent history.

2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 10:57 AM   #6
mattc1176
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovelman View Post
Went looking for a small sporty RWD car with stick and a trunk that holds golf clubs. Not much else out there and a 230 fills the niche perfectly.
I have to take my driver and woods out the bag in order to get it in the trunk, so I put that in the hate column (maybe my bag is too big?). But the turbo I6 and ability to still get 6MT makes up for any shortcomings in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 12:24 PM   #7
230iZTR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Signal Orange wrapped 230i THP

I love BMW’s seats and seating position. That little extendable thigh pad does so much for comfortable road trip driving, and the fact that the bolsters are adjustable makes spirited driving and entry-level motorsport a breeze. It’s impressive for a stock car.

Also the m-sport / track handling pack brakes are phenomenal. When paired with the Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires - another ballsy move that BMW deserves credit for - the brakes are so good with such short stopping distances that it’s physically sickening to do a full force ABS stop.

If you would have told 13-year old me that in 15 years I’d be driving a stock, turbo’d 252-hp, RWD compact with 2003 R-compound tire levels of grip, a factory dynamically adjustable suspension, and brakes the size of dinner plates for the equivalent of $26,275 out the door in 2003 dollars I wouldn’t have believed you.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 12:38 PM   #8
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Seriously, this is spot on. The only other sporty, powerful, RWD, manual, and 4-5 seater cars available that are relatively affordable (i.e., sub-$50K) are the V8 Mustang and Camaro offerings. I passed on those cars because of their size and weight and to some extent, overall quality and perceived quality of materials. The 2 series has a cleaner and more refined and elegant look, all the while being sort of the German Mustang. I know that certain Camaro and Mustang offering are better performing, but for me, it's all not about the numbers.
      02-21-2019, 01:53 PM   #9
twolsten
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Seriously, this is spot on. The only other sporty, powerful, RWD, manual, and 4-5 seater cars available that are relatively affordable (i.e., sub-$50K) are the V8 Mustang and Camaro offerings. I passed on those cars because of their size and weight and to some extent, overall quality and perceived quality of materials. The 2 series has a cleaner and more refined and elegant look, all the while being sort of the German Mustang. I know that certain Camaro and Mustang offering are better performing, but for me, it's all not about the numbers.
As someone coming from a 2016 Mustang GT with the performance pack, I am not sure there is a huge performance gap. Both my m240 and the Mustang are manuals and the Mustang goes about its business with much more audible flair, but I can't say it is much faster. I would almost be willing to bet from 20 - 60, the m240 is faster.

Last edited by twolsten; 02-21-2019 at 02:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 02:22 PM   #10
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolsten View Post
As someone coming from a 2016 Mustang GT with the performance pack, I am not sure there is a huge performance gap. Both my m240 and the Mustang are manuals and the Mustang goes about its business with much more audible flair, but I can't say it is much faster. I would almost be willing to be from 20 - 60, the m240 is faster.
Overall, the newer gen 5.0s are capable of upper 11s to mid 12s in the 1/4 mile in stock form depending on tranny. They tend to post 1/4 mile trap speeds in the 113-115mph range. Same goes for the Camaros. The M240 is good for 12.6s to 13.2s at around 109-111 mph depending on tranny. The I6 turbo BMW motors are a bit more powerful in the low to mid range compared to the 5.0, thus making them feel pretty quick by the seat of the pants. The 5.0s require you rev out every rpm to get them to perform. You can be somewhat lazy with the BMWs. With that said, it's easy to add a significant amount of power the turbo BMWs and have them run comparable, it not, quicker and faster 1/4 mile times with just a tune and downpipe. It takes a lot of money, and the tolerance of a lot of noise, to gain much power from the 5.0. The newer 5.0s with the sprayed on cylinder liners are suffering from some dismal reliability as well. I wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot pole.

Some of the later model PP-equipped Stangs (and also Camaros) also generate better handling and braking numbers. HOWEVER, this usually has to do with the fact that most of the test cars are running very wide, near race-spec street tires that only last about 10K miles at best. The M2/235/240 come with narrower standard summer tires. It makes a big difference. Put wonder tires on the 2 series and the numbers will elevate by a decent margin. Because of their significant weight (~3,700-3,800lbs), the Stangs and Camaros are pretty hard on expendables too, more so than the 2 series which is around 250-300lbs lighter assuming the RWD hardtop model.
      02-21-2019, 02:49 PM   #11
twolsten
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Quote:
Overall, the newer gen 5.0s are capable of upper 11s to mid 12s in the 1/4 mile in stock form depending on tranny. They tend to post 1/4 mile trap speeds in the 113-115mph range. Same goes for the Camaros. The M240 is good for 12.6s to 13.2s at around 109-111 mph depending on tranny. The I6 turbo BMW motors are a bit more powerful in the low to mid range compared to the 5.0, thus making them feel pretty quick by the seat of the pants. The 5.0s require you rev out every rpm to get them to perform. You can be somewhat lazy with the BMWs. With that said, it's easy to add a significant amount of power the turbo BMWs and have them run comparable, it not, quicker and faster 1/4 mile times with just a tune and downpipe. It takes a lot of money, and the tolerance of a lot of noise, to gain much power from the 5.0. The newer 5.0s with the sprayed on cylinder liners are suffering from some dismal reliability as well. I wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot pole.

Some of the later model PP-equipped Stangs (and also Camaros) also generate better handling and braking numbers. HOWEVER, this usually has to do with the fact that most of the test cars are running very wide, near race-spec street tires that only last about 10K miles at best. The M2/235/240 come with narrower standard summer tires. It makes a big difference. Put wonder tires on the 2 series and the numbers will elevate by a decent margin. Because of their significant weight (~3,700-3,800lbs), the Stangs and Camaros are pretty hard on expendables too, more so than the 2 series which is around 250-300lbs lighter assuming the RWD hardtop model.

Great points. My Mustang was the most unreliable car I have ever owned. In the last 2+ years it has spent 8 weeks in the shop for either engine issues or sync system issues. So the reliability point is spot on. I had planned on owning that car for a long time but there is no way I could justify it. The car actually would shut down while accelerating. Engine, electronics, everything... just off. Did it once with my kid in the car and that was it for me.
M240 showed up a few weeks later.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 02:50 PM   #12
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Quote:
As someone coming from a 2016 Mustang GT with the performance pack, I am not sure there is a huge performance gap. Both my m240 and the Mustang are manuals and the Mustang goes about its business with much more audible flair, but I can't say it is much faster. I would almost be willing to bet from 20 - 60, the m240 is faster.
Noticed the same w/ my 2015 C7 Corvette
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 06:27 PM   #13
harma24
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i Glacier Silver

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
The sales agent probably thought I was nuts, but I test fit my golf bag in the trunk and my skis with only 1/2 of the rear seat folded. The 2 series passed both tests!
Appreciate 2
      02-21-2019, 11:54 PM   #14
snaketh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i 6MT

Seats for sure, love the steering wheel. Little things like how the reversing mirror toggle is so easy to find. Sport mode toggle also perfect position.

Finally iDrive is childs play to navigate. I get to maps or media without taking my eyes off the road.

Oh yeh and offering a 6MT in 2019 is great. Most do not.
Appreciate 1
makrop150.00
      02-22-2019, 07:13 AM   #15
DaleHeinz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240Xi Estoril Blue

I have the '17 M240Xi and I would say they have nailed the driving experience much better than other brands. Everything from the look, the interior, the comfort level, the fatter steering wheel, the controls, and the way it delivers the power all throughout the rev band. It just makes it an all around pleasure to own and drive on a daily basis. I put the Dinan CAI, midpipe, and Stage 1 on so far. It really makes the car sound quite a bit better and get up and go with a bit more of a fury when asked. The fact that I could have all that done by my dealer was great. It took an already great car and made it better for me. I'm hard pressed to think of another make or model that would offer all this for even close the the same price point.
Appreciate 2
      02-22-2019, 12:34 PM   #16
M235ForNow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i

And the heated steering wheel. After 40 minutes in an outdoor pool with air temp in the 30s, that heated steering wheel feels soooo nice on the drive home.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 05:43 PM   #17
Rocky58
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: m240xi

This is the first car I have had that has jump start terminals under the hood. It's easy to be impressed when you have been living under a rock with an old car.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 01:53 AM   #18
ArcticFormula
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 - 240i X-Drive

I’m with everyone, and quite frankly forget what the initial post was, but seemingly, hey we each found this particular car. I would have been an advocate for a 4 liter inline motor, but hey wasn’t consulted. Didn’t buy it for straight line performance, but as a daily driver with fuel economy. It does suck that 5.0s and Camaros which cost less are faster, but clearly we did the analysis and there are to many moving parts so to speak.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 10:46 PM   #19
Mr Carrots
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
With that said, it's easy to add a significant amount of power the turbo BMWs and have them run comparable, it not, quicker and faster 1/4 mile times with just a tune and downpipe. It takes a lot of money, and the tolerance of a lot of noise, to gain much power from the 5.0.
The real difference is the potential modding ceiling is much higher, my '19 5.0 is a 10 second car on street tires and it cost me about the same in total for car+mods as most people will pay for just a 240i

the 240 is a great little car but it was just too hobbled by BMW, they should have let us put decent sized tires on the back etc

Ford build quality is quite shocking compared to BMW though, that's for sure, but it's the only downside of having a ridiculously cheap car that handles like a beast and can walk pretty much anything
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 10:02 PM   #20
B58togo
Major
Rep
Drives: M240i

No doubt, the Mustang and Camaro can be modded to run 10's for total cash outlay of a typical M240i, but in the end, I think I'll still stick with the BMW. I like the size better, the build quality is undeniably better, the car just pushes my buttons more than a Mustang or a Camaro. The M240i can still get into the 11's without much cash outlay, and the best thing about it to me is the sleeper aspect. Everyone expects late model SS's and GT's to be a force to be reckoned with, especially if they're blown/cammed/loud, but no one sees the little Bimmer coming. Now that B58 flash tuning is coming full circle, 10 second 240i's with Pure/Big Boost turbos are just around the corner (There is an 11 flat @ 130 mph Big Boost Stage 3 with beta Bootmod 3 running around). I do totally agree on the tires though. Wish we could at least run a 285 out back.
      03-23-2019, 08:28 AM   #21
Ron Jeffries
Old Member. Old in general, actually.
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xDrive convertible

In a world where you can own a BMW, and have chosen to keep it, and you can still focus on HATE ...

I've had Audi, BMW, Corvette, Fiat, Jaguar, Mercedes, Miata, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Pontiac, Porsche, and a Ford. I keep coming back to BMW, because I like them better than anything else I've found.

Is it perfect? Of course not. But if there were something I'd like better ... you can be sure I'd have it.
Appreciate 3
Sportstick4648.50
dradernh4346.00
Poochie9103.00
      03-23-2019, 09:35 PM   #22
wjones14
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Yep, totally agree that the 2 series, Camaros, and Mustangs make up that market you described. Looks are subjective and some might prefer the more aggressive U.S. muscle-y cars, but yes, the BMW is more refined and dignified looking for sure. And I'm not sure there is a more perfect-sized car than the 2 series, so that comparison is not fair.

Quote:
Overall, the newer gen 5.0s are capable of upper 11s to mid 12s in the 1/4 mile in stock form depending on tranny. They tend to post 1/4 mile trap speeds in the 113-115mph range. Same goes for the Camaros. The M240 is good for 12.6s to 13.2s at around 109-111 mph depending on tranny.
The Mustang is more a 1/4 mile car now than the Camaro. The SS, especially the SS 1LE is a road course specialist. The Mustang is a GT car - fast and more ergonomic friendly than the Camaro. The BMW is fast enough, and definitely the best ride quality of the 3.

Quote:
Great points. My Mustang was the most unreliable car I have ever owned. In the last 2+ years it has spent 8 weeks in the shop for either engine issues or sync system issues. So the reliability point is spot on. I had planned on owning that car for a long time but there is no way I could justify it. The car actually would shut down while accelerating. Engine, electronics, everything... just off. Did it once with my kid in the car and that was it for me.
M240 showed up a few weeks later.
I think the build quality of the Mustang has gone down since the 2005 S197 model. I bought a new 2005 GT, owned it for 10 years, and it was the most reliable car I ever owned in 40+ years of car ownership. Did not have a single problem ever with that car, and I drove it hard, track days every year included. Lot of issues with the new Mustang according to the forums.

My current Camaro 2SS 1LE is as close to a race car as anything I have ever driven. It has a lot of bells and whistles like the HUD, the trick eLSD, magnetic shocks, heated/cooled RECARO seats, and the customizable digital dash. But the driving experience is just so raw and visceral, it's borderline too much. The BMW is much more civilized, it's not even close really.

Wish I had the room and means for both the Camaro and the 2 Series. Would love to switch back and forth between the two. Maybe the BMW during the week, and the 1LE during the weekends.