THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Dinan Mid-Pipe with MPE

03-21-2019, 02:46 PM   #1
240Newbie
Learning
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19' M240 M Performance

Dinan Mid-Pipe with MPE

Just picked up my brand new 19' M240 awd M Performance edition. It's a lease and I'm looking at installing a Dinan Mid Pipe so I can put back on the factory mid pipe when I turn in the lease in 3 years. Has anyone done this? I'm getting conflicting info and that info isn't for my specific scenario. Will the Dinan mid pipe work with the M Performance exhaust? I asked Dinan and originally he said I just may need a different clamp. When I asked for a little more clarification he said that he was wrong and it may need some sort of modification. Can anyone clarify this for me that has dealt with it? I'd really love a little extra sound from this car. Seems far to quiet.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 04:52 PM   #2
tubingchamp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87 M2

I've heard that it can work with a specific clamp or adapter, but most people end up welding the pipes together. They do not fit together out of the box.

Looking into the same thing, eventually.. Just installed the Dinan midpipe yesterday, and while it sounds much better, it's very similar to stock noise levels in most conditions.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 06:12 PM   #3
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Newbie View Post
Just picked up my brand new 19' M240 awd M Performance edition. It's a lease and I'm looking at installing a Dinan Mid Pipe so I can put back on the factory mid pipe when I turn in the lease in 3 years. Has anyone done this? I'm getting conflicting info and that info isn't for my specific scenario. Will the Dinan mid pipe work with the M Performance exhaust? I asked Dinan and originally he said I just may need a different clamp. When I asked for a little more clarification he said that he was wrong and it may need some sort of modification. Can anyone clarify this for me that has dealt with it? I'd really love a little extra sound from this car. Seems far to quiet.
I did this shortly after I got my M240i xdrive last fall and all I can say is, wow, it sounds amazing! Best mod I've done to my car! I had it done at the dealership and I'm not sure exactly how they made the MPE and Dinan midpipe fit together but I do recall them mentioning some sort of special clamp.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 06:49 AM   #4
240Newbie
Learning
United_States
Rep

How's the drone? I've had loud cars in the past but also if I'm driving with the wife I still like to talk to her. From the vids I've seen it sounds pretty loud but at the same time some of the MPE clips seem loud too and I can barely hear the thing. lol
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 08:15 AM   #5
240Newbie
Learning
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubingchamp View Post
I've heard that it can work with a specific clamp or adapter, but most people end up welding the pipes together. They do not fit together out of the box.

Looking into the same thing, eventually.. Just installed the Dinan midpipe yesterday, and while it sounds much better, it's very similar to stock noise levels in most conditions.
Did you install it yourself or have shop do it? Did they weld it or use a band clamp?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 08:30 AM   #6
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Newbie View Post
How's the drone? I've had loud cars in the past but also if I'm driving with the wife I still like to talk to her. From the vids I've seen it sounds pretty loud but at the same time some of the MPE clips seem loud too and I can barely hear the thing. lol
no drone at all inside the cabin. the great thing about it is it sounds super loud on the outside, especially on startup, but not too loud inside except when you are ripping on it, which is what I want. I too was worried about how loud it would be inside and how my wife would feel about it, but it's not an issue at all. she does complain occasionally when I start it up in the garage in the morning and all the pictures in the house start shaking!!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 09:53 AM   #7
240Newbie
Learning
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblaucoupe135 View Post
no drone at all inside the cabin. the great thing about it is it sounds super loud on the outside, especially on startup, but not too loud inside except when you are ripping on it, which is what I want. I too was worried about how loud it would be inside and how my wife would feel about it, but it's not an issue at all. she does complain occasionally when I start it up in the garage in the morning and all the pictures in the house start shaking!!
In my younger days I had a Swapped Impreza 2.5Rs with a blitz nur spec muffler. I would wake up the neighborhood leaving for work at 5:30 in the morning. I felt bad when my neighbor had an infant. I'd try to be as fast as possible leaving. My garage isn't pointed directly at someones side of their house now so I should be ok. My wife is usually still awake after I say goodbye. lol.
Appreciate 0