THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Installing side skirts (M2 style) with 3m tape?

03-21-2019, 09:45 PM   #23
ledpocket
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M240xi

I was worried about the 3m tape my first time. I had a little Miata and a big fiberglass duck tail I stuck on. I was always checking to see if it was still tight.

After sticking a couple more to other cars, it's not a big deal at all. Clean the surfaces and this tape adheres.

On these little wings I'm not too worried. I don't off-road so I doubt they'll be subject to much stress or pressure. Possibly some snow in the winter might do them in, or if you ran over something big.

The beta link adhesive is somewhat permanent from what I understand. I personally wouldn't use it on something like this. Just for the sake of being able to remove them down the road.

Edit:

Here's the Ebay link to the black ones I bought. Should be getting them within the week (finally made it to the USA)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pcs-Car-Ac...r/143086005149?
      03-21-2019, 10:58 PM   #24
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58togo View Post
BMW relies on tape for spoilers, so not sure why you wouldn’t rely on it.
I am not suggesting tape is ineffective. However, given the choice, it is the less robust and reliable solution versus BMW's own recommended Betalink or a mechanical attachment. My experience is from having managed product planning for several vehicle lines at another manufacturer. I recall all too well how we had to hold shipping for a large quantity of vehicles as the tape-based adhesive on the body side molding failed, and they were peeling away because the adhesive supplier made a specification change our engineers and plant did not know about.

Adhesive tapes are sensitive to the temperature of the surface onto which the part is applied, the temperature of the adhesive on the part, the amount of pressure, the duration of the pressure...all variables which are tightly controlled in a plant, whether operated by BMW or others, but which are highly variable in our driveways/garages at home. This would be one reason BMW would provide a product such as Betalink for aftermarket usage.

Betalink is not "permanent". I've seen it removed. However, the amount of work is more extensive than for tape...a function of its superiority as an adhesive for applied parts. Of course, tape has worked in many situations and there will be those here who will offer anecdotes of success. This is a matter of risk management, not an all-or-none choice. If you don't wish to have hard plastic parts be more likely to dislodge after a DIY installation and be aimed at the car/driver behind you, it seems to make sense to use the most secure attachment feasible for your situation outside of an assembly plant.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2019, 11:19 PM   #25
ledpocket
Private
United_States
Rep

Sportstick makes some valid points imo. Risk management being my favorite.

I'm not a huge fan of leaving a trail of parts in my rear view. But...oem 3m tape seems to stick more often than it fails (aside from poor supplier control issues ) as I haven't seen too many spoilers along the side of the road. ;-)

I'll have to check into the beta link a little more. I thought is was essentially an epoxy that cured. If it's more like a plumbers putty or tar like substance that really isn't permanent...I could see using it on more expensive parts I was extra worried about.
      03-22-2019, 09:08 AM   #26
SrCocozo
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 Series Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimJaw View Post
The question is.. will those ssdd Motorsport side skirts fit my m235i or is that for an M2 only?
I think there was no problem in adapting them
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 07:34 PM   #27
ntj
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xD

Any updates from those who ordered these? Any install photos?
      03-30-2019, 04:43 AM   #28
GrimJaw
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntj View Post
Any updates from those who ordered these? Any install photos?
I ended up ordering a different pair. They should be arriving by Monday. Gonna try to install them before next weekend!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 05:52 PM   #29
ledpocket
Private
United_States
Rep

So I finally got my Ebay mini wing dings in.

They aren't really what I was expecting (shocked lol). Turns out the ones I bought are kind of hollow plastic injection. Pretty thin wall.

I might slap them on the 4 wheeler or use them to scoop litter.

Quick fitment pic...the jack socket is in the way so they'd need to be trimmed to actually fit.

Since they are total junk I wouldn't recommend screws, rivets, betalink or anything really. Ha ha.
Attached Images

Poochie9104.50
      03-31-2019, 08:44 PM   #30
GrimJaw
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledpocket View Post

They aren't really what I was expecting (shocked lol). Turns out the ones I bought are kind of hollow plastic injection. Pretty thin wall.

Quick fitment pic...the jack socket is in the way so they'd need to be trimmed to actually fit.

Since they are total junk I wouldn't recommend screws, rivets, betalink or anything really. Ha ha.
Mine arrive tomorrow I will post pics then. I can also link you if needed
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 10:20 AM   #31
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Quote:

LOL that bad, huh? They do seem pretty cheap and it looks like they sit way too far from the panel. How much of a gap would you say is left in between? It looks like it could be 1/2" or more haha
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 12:23 AM   #32
GrimJaw
First Lieutenant
Rep

Mine is still not here yet. Just cleared customs yesterday 😑
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 01:34 AM   #33
ledpocket
Private
United_States
Rep

The fitment pic has a big gap because the wing was resting on the jack point on the under carriage.

With some trimming, I think these could line up nice and look ok.

But, trimming will just weaken the already flimsy construction and as much as I like purely cosmetic aero...these are just too cheezy. I also think the hollow construction of the vertical wing part will create excessive drag. Might add a few milliseconds to my 0-60

Lol. I might try the "ikon style " kit on amazon.
      04-03-2019, 05:26 AM   #34
GrimJaw
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The fitment pic has a big gap because the wing was resting on the jack point on the under carriage.

With some trimming, I think these could line up nice and look ok.

But, trimming will just weaken the already flimsy construction and as much as I like purely cosmetic aero...these are just too cheezy. I also think the hollow construction of the vertical wing part will create excessive drag. Might add a few milliseconds to my 0-60

Lol. I might try the "ikon style " kit on amazon.
I gotcha. This is the one I got. I spoke with someone on the sales team who said it's a guarantee fit for m235i

http://www.ssdd-motorsport.com/carbo...msport-models/
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 10:27 AM   #35
GrimJaw
First Lieutenant
Rep

Does the m235i already have bolts where these side skirts would attach? If so I want to drill holes in these skirts and use 3m tape as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 10:44 AM   #36
GrimJaw
First Lieutenant
Rep

For example would I be able to screw in the side skirts with these circled in red?

Is the circled yellow the jacking point ?

(See attached photos) (please excuse my lack of knowledge still learning)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 12:24 PM   #37
este
N54 to N55
Rep
Drives: e92 335i (sold) / M235i 6mt

Got mine in "carbon" installed. I didn't trim them just screwed it with 4 screws right up against the jacking point. So far they've grown on me, so for now they're staying on.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
GrimJaw105.50
      04-07-2019, 01:33 PM   #38
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
For example would I be able to screw in the side skirts with these circled in red?

Is the circled yellow the jacking point ?

(See attached photos) (please excuse my lack of knowledge still learning)
Yes to both of your questions although you may need longer screws.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 04:46 PM   #39
GrimJaw
First Lieutenant
Rep

Will this get in my way ? It seems to protrude! I also don't wanna cover this black covering if it's needed for something??
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 05:00 PM   #40
GrimJaw
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by este View Post
Got mine in "carbon" installed. I didn't trim them just screwed it with 4 screws right up against the jacking point. So far they've grown on me, so for now they're staying on.
It looks good how did you install yours? Mine are still in transit 😑
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 05:21 PM   #41
este
N54 to N55
Rep
Drives: e92 335i (sold) / M235i 6mt

Quote:
Quote:
I used the screws it came with, made sure the end of it was aligned where the body ends right before the wheel well and that it was basically as far in you than can install them before the jack point gets in the way. I'll try to get a pic.
Appreciate 1
GrimJaw105.50
      04-07-2019, 05:34 PM   #42
GrimJaw
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I used the screws it came with, made sure the end of it was aligned where the body ends right before the wheel well and that it was basically as far in you than can install them before the jack point gets in the way. I'll try to get a pic.
Much appreciated if you could!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 06:26 AM   #43
GrimJaw
First Lieutenant
Rep

Got mine in the mail yesterday. I will post pics soon. The product is def nice quality and bigger than I thought. It looks like I will have to trim it using a dremel to avoid going over the jack area in the rear.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 10:28 AM   #44
GrimJaw
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hey did you ever get that picture?
Appreciate 0