THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum Regional Forums CANADA ConnectedDrive Services Professional Renewal?

03-09-2019, 03:56 PM   #1
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

ConnectedDrive Services Professional Renewal?

So, my ConnectedDrive Services Professional subscription runs out in a month and BMW wants $300 to renew.

The description:

Quote:
Get access to current, location-based information such as weather, news, and online search with the ConnectedDrive Services Professional Package

Advanced Real Time Traffic Information keeps you informed about current traffic conditions on the most travelled roads.

The advantages for you:
  • Up-to-date, location-based information at any time
  • Convenient and secure use of selected smartphone apps* in vehicle
  • Detailed display of traffic situation in real time on highways and major roads
  • Concierge Services offer personal 24/7 information service at the push of a button
I could care less about most of this but for the bolded part. Does anyone know if this means that I can't use the Connected App to send destinations to my car? Does it also disable Spotify, etc? $300 is pretty ridiculous ... but, those are the only two things I find useful and may be stuck paying for them.
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2019, 11:55 AM   #2
Cumberlandjames
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Xdrive cabriolet

BMW Canada Ripoff

I'm in the same boat as you. Prices just don't justify the benefits. Mine is still in storage so will have to wait to see what I've lost. I know things like the on-line search function for GPS is definitely out.

I never had much luck with Spotify. Was always poor volume.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 01:00 PM   #3
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

I've emailed them to ask. They are usually completely non-responsive, but I'll see if I head back. If not, I'll push my dealer to get an answer. Pretty useless explanation on the website.

From this page https://bit.ly/2F3Rkohm there does seem to be some info, and seems to imply send to vehicle, etc will be disabled. But, does not clarify whether integrated apps (eg. Spotify) will be as well.

As for Spotufy volume, there is a setting inside the Spotify app to boost it.

Last edited by JohnnyCanuck; 03-10-2019 at 01:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 01:55 PM   #4
ralawren
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i MSport w/Trk Pkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
I've emailed them to ask. They are usually completely non-responsive, but I'll see if I head back. If not, I'll push my dealer to get an answer. Pretty useless explanation on the website.

From this page https://bit.ly/2F3Rkohm there does seem to be some info, and seems to imply send to vehicle, etc will be disabled. But, does not clarify whether integrated apps (eg. Spotify) will be as well.

As for Spotufy volume, there is a setting inside the Spotify app to boost it.
In the US I was able to pay just $50 for the web services/apps. I needed it for the BMW M- LapTimer. It also allows me to use Spotify, iHeart radio and other apps when my iPhone is connected via usb.

There were three option that cost a total of $300 but you could purchase them individually.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 04:52 PM   #5
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralawren View Post
In the US I was able to pay just $50 for the web services/apps. I needed it for the BMW M- LapTimer. It also allows me to use Spotify, iHeart radio and other apps when my iPhone is connected via usb.

There were three option that cost a total of $300 but you could purchase them individually.
Thanks, no such option appears on the Canadian store. I'll try and see if my dealer can help.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 09:58 AM   #6
jooksingjai77
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i xDrive

If you have an Apple phone unlock Apple CarPlay instead.

There's a coder is Mississauga who can unlock for $250.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 10:50 AM   #7
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

My car is already coded and I don't have an iPhone in any event.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 09:54 AM   #8
DarthDZL
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
My car is already coded and I don't have an iPhone in any event.
Johnny - where'd you get it coded? Was a retrofit required?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 07:23 AM   #9
Cumberlandjames
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

It is my guess that because we loose the connectivity, all remote services will be lost, including send to car addresses, anything to do with the BMW app etc. Not sure if the emergency help is lost I guess I'll have to give it a try and see. Snow is finally going so I can get her out soon to play.

I find it interesting and very frustrating how we have to pay so much for these services compared to the US.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 07:31 AM   #10
Cumberlandjames
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

OK, I just went and tried the remote to honk the horn and it worked??? Obviously there are some features that have been retained even though my subscription is over. I know that the on-line search features for the nav system have been disabled which is too bad, they were very useful. I am assuming that Nav updates will also be lost but will have to wait and see if they occur.

You know another thing that burns me is the 3 year subscription on a 4 year warranty. It is certainly a marketing strategy. Its pure el toro poopoo that any and all companies install all this tech but then sell you the functionality. What a load of crap!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 04:30 PM   #11
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

Apparently Remote Services is a 10 year subscription.

For $300/yr, Android users get Spotify (broken since November), iHeart (broken too), RTTI, and Concierge. Utterly ridiculous. Only RTTI has even remote value.

I can get map updates for $25/shot ... I think I'm good without renewing.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 07:35 PM   #12
Alpine2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i (AW), '12 E70 (AW)

Not worth renewing unless you REALLY REALLY want the (limited use of) "apps" and RTTI.

Waze and/or Google maps will give you the RTTI, and Bluetooth will allow you to run more apps natively on your phone. Stinks, but not worth the coin in my opinion.

I am able to renew each service individually for $50 each, Remote Services is it's own thing- and I do not know the cost of that as I have subscription for a few more years.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 11:08 AM   #13
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

BMW Canada doesn't offer the individual services. It's $300 or nothing.

Since the only thing I actually care about are Remote Services, and mine don't expire until 2026, I am not going to renew. CarPlay and BMW Apps have been enabled by coding so I don't need to pay for that or RTTI (there's this thing called Waze).

I'll spring for a map update every year or so and be done with it.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 06:55 AM   #14
Cumberlandjames
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Where are you getting the map updates from? Its a shame we can't screen mirror in our 2016's then WAZE would be really handy. I see people offering head unit upgrades for around $2K but not really sure if I want to put that much money in to it.

We've got great cars so I guess we should be content with what we have.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 09:58 AM   #15
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

I did the retrofit: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1536007

I did it to get BMW Apps over bluetooth, the updated nav UI (which is definitely better than ID4), use the updated Connected app (instead of the dreadful BMW Remote app) and screen mirroring. While mirroring works, my phone didn't support miracast so it left me having to control my display using the phone which is "distracted driving" and heavily enforced around here. Unless you root, miracast is pretty much dead on android phones these days. I didn't do my research on that point well enough.

It does add CarPlay which is kind of neat. I picked up an old iPhone 5S on craigslist and am using it as a CarPlay device and the full integration of music and podcasts is nice. Hasn't got me to the point of switching to the dark side and buying an iPhone for real, but with a cheap pay as you go SIM I like being able to actually control all my media functions from iDrive and use Waze.

I'll probably get map updates from the same person I got the ID6 retrofit. steve@codemybimmer is great to deal with.
Appreciate 0