THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Things I HATE about my 2 series

02-13-2019, 09:13 PM   #1035
Nyorky2428
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman8266 View Post
I wish there was more storage space in the interior. Especially for small things. where did they expect you to put your sunglasses ?
Do you not have the compartment under your headlight controls?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 09:30 PM   #1036
bluesman8266
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240i

No, there's a area that looks like it could have been a compartment but the two switches for the lane warning are there.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 10:02 PM   #1037
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bis View Post
You can code your car so that the headunit/accessories shut off when the driver's door is opened.
But why do I need to spend another $100 for such trivial item?
What is the reasoning behind BMW's decision for forcing a 2 push on us?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 12:08 PM   #1038
shadowfax
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman8266 View Post
I wish there was more storage space in the interior. Especially for small things. where did they expect you to put your sunglasses ?
Mine came with an ashtray that I replaced with Mfg Part #51169227896 center console storage insert or front compartment insert mat (#8 in pic below). A sunglasses case that I'd previously only used for travel fits perfect.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-14-2019, 02:46 PM   #1039
morphomeman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
I bought that same little tray and it is perfect for sunglasses, as shown. No installation, just pop the covered tray out and pop this one in.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 07:29 PM   #1040
Mason Hatcher
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

The only thing I don't like so far is the sun visors. I'll have to replace or add the "Tac Visor" lol
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 09:17 PM   #1041
Sixspeed_g
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixspeed_g View Post
Steering feel is garbage. My job's Jeep Grand Cherokee feels like it even has better steering feel. Sport mode feels extremely artificial/unnecessary.

16mpg city, shifting at 2k.

Hard shifts from 1st to 2nd on a manual will often result in grinding gears.

That's pretty much it. Don't love the car, don't hate it. I was very pumped on owning this car after my 128i, but apart from its looks and exhaust burbles, I'd prefer the 128i honestly.
The electric assist steering is never going to feel like hydraulic. Never. I agree, the Comfort steering does feel more natural. With that said, I rent tons of cars for work and my M235 had stellar steering feel to EVERYTHING I've rented and I've had some decent performance rentals. Most automotive reviews say the steering feel in the 2 series pretty dang good for electric. I have no issues knowing exactly what the front tires are doing.

You MPGs are because you live in busy cities with tons of stop and go. It has a huge impact.

If you're grinding on the 1-2 shift, you're 6MT is on the way out. I strongly suggest not banging the shifts hard until the gear oil is fully warm (about 10-15 minutes of driving after a cold start).
Makes sense. Can't deny it's a great car, just had high expectations I suppose.
      02-16-2019, 06:10 PM   #1042
Xi-Xi
Private
Rep
Drives: 228xi

Storage for booze bottles. Or storage for glass bottles holding 750 ml of liquid or thereabouts. When coming home from the liquor store I'm forced to try to snug any bottles into the passenger seat with the seat belt. It doesn't usually work that well unless I have a heavy coat to pile in there as ballast. The nets on the back seats are far too tight for anything except maybe for a few letters or a magazine or two. I don't want the damn things flying around the back seat or on the floor. Don't Germans drink wine?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 09:52 PM   #1043
stevenvillatoro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M240i, Estoril Blue

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xi-Xi View Post
Storage for booze bottles. Or storage for glass bottles holding 750 ml of liquid or thereabouts.
Mine has a 750ml wine bottle holder in each door!
Attached Images

'19 Porsche Carrera T
Past BMWs: two '57 Isetta 300s, '70 1600, '72 Bavaria, '78 320i, '18 M240i
Past Porsches: '62 356 B, '55 Speedster 1500S, '65 C Cab, '71 T Targa, '74 914 2.0
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 10:17 PM   #1044
richsnuc
Retired
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i MG/Cognac

I keep a bungie in the trunk and use it to hold them against the rear panel in the trunk (tie downs built into that panel where the latch is).
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 11:01 PM   #1045
BM235iW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black Sapphire M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpirx View Post
Yes, city and traffic driving is not the M240's forte'.
Are we talking about the same M240i, my favorite urban assault weapon?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpirx View Post
Yes, city and traffic driving is not the M240's forte'.
Are we talking about the same M240i, my favorite urban assault weapon?
Stevenvillatoro
Please be careful calling your car an urban assault weapon, Dianne Feinstein will try to have it banned.
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2019, 07:42 PM   #1046
Finally M240i
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Hate is a strong word - but this is the only thing I don't love....

The steering is just too light. I've now got 500 miles on my '19 6-speed convertible - the car is everything I had hoped it would be (and waited almost 3 months for delivery on) - but the steering truly needs to be tightened-up.

Anyone have any solutions for this?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 08:20 PM   #1047
Sportstick
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '18 330i GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally M240i View Post
The steering is just too light. I've now got 500 miles on my '19 6-speed convertible - the car is everything I had hoped it would be (and waited almost 3 months for delivery on) - but the steering truly needs to be tightened-up.

Anyone have any solutions for this?
Semantics first...."light" is effort and "tight" usually means degree of responsiveness. I can't help with effort, but for getting rid of the on-center looseness and improving overall steering responsiveness, the best mod I have done is the M2 lower control arm swap (rear wheel drive only), with the kit sold by Turner Motorsports. Search for prior multiple threads/posts. Bottom line, takes the steering entertainment up quite a bit!

2015 VO 228i 6MT/Track Handling Pkg/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance Pkgs/BBS SR Wheels/Michelin AS3/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Kidney Grilles/Xpel Ultimate/OptiCoat Pro
2018 Alpine White 330Xi GT - 100% Stock
Appreciate 1
dradernh238.50

02-17-2019, 09:16 PM   #1048
dradernh
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Semantics first...."light" is effort and "tight" usually means degree of responsiveness. I can't help with effort, but for getting rid of the on-center looseness and improving overall steering responsiveness, the best mod I have done is the M2 lower control arm swap (rear wheel drive only), with the kit sold by Turner Motorsports.
Looking for a solution to this problem, I went another route (and I'm not suggesting it's a better route ): at the recommendation of TC Kline, I chose a set of his coilovers, and up front he set the alignment at -1.9° camber and 1/32" toe-in. For the street, it's terrific - I haven't hit a pothole in many miles. The car is remarkably responsive to steering input, and this owner is very satisfied with the street-driving qualities of the car.

For the track, the car is still a bit of a pig, and TC recommends the H&R front bar as the next incremental improvement. It's supposed to add a further, minor increment of noise and harshness, but the car is already perfectly tolerable, so I intend to give the bar a try this season.

My background is oriented towards track driving, and though I drive the M240i very little on the street, I'm still interested in finding a sort-of perfect balance between the two. That's strictly a personal evaluation, though, as is an owner's experience of the feel of the steering, which I agree is "light".

However, I don't find the car's "light" steering to be an issue, as it goes where I point it, and it behaves in a predictable way. What's lacking is a feeling for exactly what the tires are doing where they meet the pavement. For me, that only makes a difference in braking and acceleration zones on the track, where I'm forced to adjust for that relative lack of feel. In the end, it's a non-issue in a street car.
      02-17-2019, 09:49 PM   #1049
Sportstick
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '18 330i GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Looking for a solution to this problem, I went another route (and I'm not suggesting it's a better route ): at the recommendation of TC Kline, I chose a set of his coilovers, and up front he set the alignment at -1.9° camber and 1/32" toe-in. For the street, it's terrific - I haven't hit a pothole in many miles. The car is remarkably responsive to steering input, and this owner is very satisfied with the street-driving qualities of the car.

For the track, the car is still a bit of a pig, and TC recommends the H&R front bar as the next incremental improvement. It's supposed to add a further, minor increment of noise and harshness, but the car is already perfectly tolerable, so I intend to give the bar a try this season.

My background is oriented towards track driving, and though I drive the M240i very little on the street, I'm still interested in finding a sort-of perfect balance between the two. That's strictly a personal evaluation, though, as is an owner's experience of the feel of the steering, which I agree is "light".

However, I don't find the car's "light" steering to be an issue, as it goes where I point it, and it behaves in a predictable way. What's lacking is a feeling for exactly what the tires are doing where they meet the pavement. For me, that only makes a difference in braking and acceleration zones on the track, where I'm forced to adjust for that relative lack of feel. In the end, it's a non-issue in a street car.
Definitely another valid approach that illustrates the importance of matching the mod to the use case. I never track, so my approach is to improve my enjoyment of daily street use. Not willing to compromise ride comfort at all from the original. In fact, living in SE Michigan, I changed from 18” wheels back to 17”. FYI, the LCAs I installed add +1 degree of negative camber. Otherwise, specs remain at factory settings.
Appreciate 1
dradernh238.50