THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications ECS spoiler?

01-30-2019, 03:50 PM   #1
sevenmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB f87 M2

ECS spoiler?

Hey guys, has anyone on here bought and fitted the ECS CF spoiler for our cars? I'm trying to figure out how close of a replica it is of the M Performance spoiler, and can't find definitive info. I used the "ask a question" function on their site and got no reply. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 04:49 PM   #2
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

get this replica:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/F82-...6-99b8e6ce6474
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2019, 09:08 AM   #3
sevenmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the reply, but I think that's a wrong link? It takes me to an M4 GTS wing rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 11:36 AM   #4
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

thats a replica of the M Performance spoiler, maybe you have the wrong product?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 12:06 PM   #5
sevenmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Yeah.. probably my fault, I'm more of a lurker than a poster, so my terminology is probably off. I'm looking for a spoiler similar to this one:

https://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/4...R-REAR-SPOILER

I'm honestly torn between that design and the "Exotics tuning style" that RW Carbon sells.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 12:45 PM   #6
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenmarc View Post
Yeah.. probably my fault, I'm more of a lurker than a poster, so my terminology is probably off. I'm looking for a spoiler similar to this one:

https://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/4...R-REAR-SPOILER

I'm honestly torn between that design and the "Exotics tuning style" that RW Carbon sells.
You can find replicas of that all over ebay for around $150-$180~ish if you don't want to get the real M Performance model. Keep in mind that the UV coating on the replicas are suspect and the CF will probably fade within 2 years.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 01:00 PM   #7
sevenmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

That's a good point.. I guess we get what we pay for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwntime View Post
You can find replicas of that all over ebay for around $150-$180~ish if you don't want to get the real M Performance model. Keep in mind that the UV coating on the replicas are suspect and the CF will probably fade within 2 years.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 01:42 PM   #8
hwntime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
That's a good point.. I guess we get what we pay for.
I have the actual BMW M Performance spoiler but I also do have the replica CF side view mirrors. The quality of the reps are actually really good. The mirrors were around $80 vs $300-$400 for the M Performance version so I figured once the reps fade, I can just purchase a another set and I'd still be only at a fraction of what the M Performance cost.
Appreciate 1
bryan_G011164.50
      01-31-2019, 02:57 PM   #9
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

If the CF component is not clear coated and is just left natural (especially if it is prepreg CF), then WD40 works well to maintain an un-clouded finish. Wipe on liberally, leave for 10 minutes then wipe off, any moisture absorbed into the surface of the resin gets displaced and the original clarity of the weave in the resin is restored.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 03:15 PM   #10
sevenmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Cool trick, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
If the CF component is not clear coated and is just left natural (especially if it is prepreg CF), then WD40 works well to maintain an un-clouded finish. Wipe on liberally, leave for 10 minutes then wipe off, any moisture absorbed into the surface of the resin gets displaced and the original clarity of the weave in the resin is restored.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 03:18 PM   #11
sevenmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Where did you get your mirror caps? That's definitely another item on my list; probably higher priority than a lip spoiler, to be honest. I guess I'm gun-shy with reps.. it's tough to know who to go with when I can't look at the products in person before buying.

Quote:
I have the actual BMW M Performance spoiler but I also do have the replica CF side view mirrors. The quality of the reps are actually really good. The mirrors were around $80 vs $300-$400 for the M Performance version so I figured once the reps fade, I can just purchase a another set and I'd still be only at a fraction of what the M Performance cost.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 07:58 PM   #12
hwntime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Where did you get your mirror caps? That's definitely another item on my list; probably higher priority than a lip spoiler, to be honest. I guess I'm gun-shy with reps.. it's tough to know who to go with when I can't look at the products in person before buying.

Quote:
Ebay. As mentioned, the fit and finish is pretty darn good and the weaving on the CF is indistinguishable from my M Perf spoiler. It is supposedly UV coated according to the seller but I'm not banking on it lasting more than 2 years. If you go into it knowing they'll eventually fade, you'll have no probs with the rep.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 07:48 AM   #13
sevenmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Cool.. if there's a particular seller that you'd recommend, could you DM a link to me?

Quote:
Ebay. As mentioned, the fit and finish is pretty darn good and the weaving on the CF is indistinguishable from my M Perf spoiler. It is supposedly UV coated according to the seller but I'm not banking on it lasting more than 2 years. If you go into it knowing they'll eventually fade, you'll have no probs with the rep.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 10:38 AM   #14
liebetrau88
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i xDrive

Quote:
thats a replica of the M Performance spoiler, maybe you have the wrong product?
Since when is this the M Performance Spoiler? That is from the link you provided.

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 10:53 AM   #15
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

they are both called the mperformance spoiler.

most ppl don't call that old one the mperformance spoiler since the m4 gts came out with the "mperformance spoiler" on it. Also the new m2cs as the "mperformance spoiler" in its pics with all the other mperformance cf bits on it that have yet to be released.

https://www.bmw-m.com/en/topics/maga...nce-parts.html
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 12:42 PM   #16
liebetrau88
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i xDrive

Quote:
they are both called the mperformance spoiler.

most ppl don't call that old one the mperformance spoiler since the m4 gts came out with the "mperformance spoiler" on it. Also the new m2cs as the "mperformance spoiler" in its pics with all the other mperformance cf bits on it that have yet to be released.

https://www.bmw-m.com/en/topics/maga...nce-parts.html
Everytime I see someone post anything anywhere on the 2 series forums about the M Performance spoiler, it's the small carbon one, not the M4 GTS one. But to each their own.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 10:32 PM   #17
danielduke
Enlisted Member
Colombia
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

I got the ECS Spoiler installed on my former M235i with no problem, the only thing is that it doesn't perfectly fit compared to a MPerformance part, but nothing serious... it is unnoticeable [IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 02:26 PM   #18
sevenmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the post and the photo! It really looks a lot like the M performance part. What's different about the fit compared to the official spoiler? Also, does it have logos on it anywhere? (really hoping that it doesn't...

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielduke View Post
I got the ECS Spoiler installed on my former M235i with no problem, the only thing is that it doesn't perfectly fit compared to a MPerformance part, but nothing serious... it is unnoticeable [IMG][/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 11:29 PM   #19
danielduke
Enlisted Member
Colombia
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Thanks for the post and the photo! It really looks a lot like the M performance part. What's different about the fit compared to the official spoiler? Also, does it have logos on it anywhere? (really hoping that it doesn't...

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielduke View Post
No logos on it. The fitting issue in my case was that in the inner left side, there was a little gap between the actual trunk and the spoiler, it wasn't perfectly attached to the car, but seriously it is unnoticeable, I realized it was there because I compared it with another mperformance spoiler installed in another car. I'm planning to buy the ECS spoiler again for my new 235i.
Appreciate 0