THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Extending CPO Warranty

05-21-2019, 02:11 PM   #1
Blue_M235i
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i Estoril Blue Conv

Extending CPO Warranty

Hi all,

Brand new to the boards.

Yesterday I traded in my 2001 Z3 convertible (only 67K Miles) for a 2016 M235i Conv. Estoril Blue (19K Miles). CPO B2B Warranty through June 2021.

I've looked at 3rd party warranties online and spoke with a pretty knowledgeable guy at 'Endurance Warranty'. They don't cover M series 235's, and neither does AAA.
He told me a lot of companies don't cover M line's (also some Merc's like AMG line) due to them being specifically tunes by their respective facilities.
He also said to be careful about companies that will cover the vehicle as it's very difficult to get claims paid. Even if I went through the dealership, he said it depends on who's underwriting it for BMW.

I'll probably put about 4.100 Miles per year on the vehicle.
The Endurance rep went further to explain that based on the low mileage of the vehicle and the limited mileage I'll be putting on it, to just keep the money for a warranty and put it aside for repairs as they come up.
Their longest term mechanical policy is only 5 years, and said in his line of work the probability of us needing the mechanical term over the 20K miles I'm likely to drive it in that time is pretty slim. At least not $4-$5K worth of claims.

I was pretty impressed with an insurance agent actually going out of his way to tell me why he wouldn't recommend an extended policy and to be wary of those that do - even though he didn't have one to offer.

So, long way around to ask this question - I was curious if any of you had any luck with a 3rd party warranty service on your M235i, what the experience was, and when the service was required in the lifetime of your vehicle.
Was there an issue with where you wanted to the work to be done due to the specialty tuning?

And unrelated... anyone know anything about Dent and Ding Policies? Recommend one?

Got a lot to learn about this car coming from a 2001 with a cassette player.
Open to any and all tips about my new (used) car.

Thanks for reading.

Rick

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 02:59 PM   #2
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Hmm I think you should look into it a bit more. The M235i is not an "M" car, it's just a package (mostly cosmetic) with no engine tuning. I'd personally skip on the extended B2B warranty as I don't see the value in it over the course of X amount of years of you driving such low miles. The chances of something catastrophic happening to your motor are slim so I wouldn't do it, but know that there is that slight chance something crazy could happen; however, if you upkeep your car with the regular recommended maintenance, you really shouldn't have any major problems.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 03:06 PM   #3
Aspen235
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i, 2018 M240i 6mt

Agreed with hwntime, I don't see the value in an after market policy for this car. Better to set the money aside and self insure.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 03:51 PM   #4
Blue_M235i
Rep

Appreciate the response. So, no 'special' tuning required then? That's sort of a relief.

Another thing that I'm struggling to get past is the lack of a spare tire.
I understand that BMW assist will come to the rescue, but do they just put on a doughnut or bring a full sized spare along or what?
Rookie question I suppose, but I did have a doughnut on my Z3 and it did come in handy - though a pita to get to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwntime View Post
Hmm I think you should look into it a bit more. The M235i is not an "M" car, it's just a package (mostly cosmetic) with no engine tuning.
... and suspension, no?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 05:13 PM   #5
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
Take whatever funds you would use to pay the insurance premium and put it in the bank with an oath to not touch it. It's called self-insurance and is almost always more effective than any other form.
What sort of tires does the car have? If they are run-flats, you don't need a spare.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 09:29 PM   #6
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

Why did you get rid of the Z... should have just kept BOTH!!!!
      05-22-2019, 11:43 AM   #7
Blue_M235i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphomeman View Post
Take whatever funds you would use to pay the insurance premium and put it in the bank with an oath to not touch it. It's called self-insurance and is almost always more effective than any other form.
What sort of tires does the car have? If they are run-flats, you don't need a spare.
Sounds like the sound choice. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 11:44 AM   #8
Blue_M235i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftwaffe1O1 View Post
Why did you get rid of the Z... should have just kept BOTH!!!!
I live in Manhattan. Already renting a space in a garage for one.
Your Z looks great!
Appreciate 0