THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Delamination/finish fade on M235 steering wheel?

05-20-2019, 04:08 PM   #45
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftwaffe1O1 View Post
Quote:
BMW NA is for general customer service issues, from what I gather, all they can do is help mediate a situation, they have very little sway in determining what gets approved and what doesn't.

I'm not even trying to discourage you but I fought the battle of BMW NA VS a dealer before and the results were fruitless.

When I went ghetto and cursed them out; BMW NA rep slipped up and explain that they just 'mediation powers,' that's all.. Waste of my time..
BMWNA doesn't have full authority over a dealer, they will usually comply with their request.

That's exactly what I said in the last paragraph of my previous post; if BMW approves it, they dealer will happily comply with the claim, with absolutely no risk to them.

It's 100% different when the dealer makes the request the goodwill from BMW NA than when the consumer does, from the anecdotal claims you made.

The end-user has very little pull when they call to bitch about a problem.

I bet you anything that they're not going to help if they dealer already said no.

Now If they dealer appeals on his behalf, that's way different and would reach the powers that can actually help. Which they won't, since they already denied to.

They can submit a claim to cover the steering wheel under the warranty if they choose to, it's a typical process for them, the issue is the questionable damage has them worried than they might get some pushback if they do.
So to err on the side of safety, they rather just blame it on "wear and tear" to pacify the consumer and not risk it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfile View Post
If you google "BMW steering wheel finish rubbing off" it'll kick back 598,000 hits with everyone, from new M3 owners to i3 owners, complaining about the same thing.
If BMW were to admit that it is a manufacturing problem and covers the defect, they'd be in for a significant financial hit.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...67.8SJOH411O64
Wow, thanks; I'm going to purchase a backup wheel today, eBay had a new M4 (heated) steering for $300..

I'm sold after seeing all this..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 05:13 PM   #46
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
If you google "BMW steering wheel finish rubbing off" it'll kick back 598,000 hits with everyone, from new M3 owners to i3 owners, complaining about the same thing.
If BMW were to admit that it is a manufacturing problem and covers the defect, they'd be in for a significant financial hit.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...67.8SJOH411O64
Damn.

The day I got the car, I thought to myself "You're going to have to be careful with this wheel". The tactile feel is perfect, BUT it I felt that the top coat finish felt fragile. I'll definitely look into used wheel options, but for $200-300 spent on the used wheel that could have the same issue, it really makes me rethink getting another one.

Brian at Sun Motor BMW shot me a bonkers price for the M Performance alcantara wheel for well over a hundred bucks less than his best price for the stock wheel which was already amazing. I'd loose the heated function though, but the wheel is warmer feeling in the cold months. We'll see.
      05-20-2019, 05:22 PM   #47
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

I assume the shift knob is made of the same material because it is wearing exactly like the left side of my steering wheel.
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8, 2000 528i, 2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0, 2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive, 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30i Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 05:26 PM   #48
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

Quote:
Wow, thanks; I'm going to purchase a backup steering wheel today, eBay had a new M4 (heated) for $300..

I'm sold after seeing all this..
Not exactly, perhaps I didn't word it properly.
BMW NA is not ONLY a liason, they do have some weight behind them.

In both of my examples, the dealer was doing things out of line, and BMW NA came in and straightened them out.

While they don't have direct power to force them, their "soft push" tends to get results. So if you can get BMW NA on your own to uphold it, dealer will comply. Lot of times the SA will try and get it warrantied, but tech, or head of service will say no. Or BMWNA will just blanket deny a claim it seems unnecessary. Pursuing it further can get you results is all I am saying here.

My girlfriend went back and forth between BMW NA for a couple of months, until they finally started exerting extra pressure on the dealer, I don't know in what way exactly, but dealer was non responsive for months to my girlfriend directly. Nothing, no replies etc. Finally one day she got a call from BMW NA rep, saying that Rick Hendrick BMW will pay, and she should just schedule an appointment with her local dealer in San Diego.

All I am getting at here, is it is a worthwhile avenue pursuing going to BMW of NA directly. There is no guarantee, but there is no harm in trying.
      05-20-2019, 05:37 PM   #49
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
All I am getting at here, is it is a worthwhile avenue pursuing going to BMW of NA directly. There is no guarantee, but there is no harm in trying.
That's my take. I didn't debate my service adviser's response as he said the decision came directly from the Dept. Service Manager. No sense in going any further with my adviser or the manager at this point.

There's no harm in trying with BMW NA. I'm a pretty nice, level-headed guy plus I do litigation and expert witness work (not an attorney though) and I love a good debate
      05-20-2019, 07:02 PM   #50
Rocky58
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: m240xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Just an OEM BMW leather care product every three to four months and monthly wet wash cloth cleaning. Nothing else.
You know, this made me think of something I just saw waiting for my car at the dealer. The BMW leather lotion contains silicone. It says so on the bottle. And they tell you never to use silicone products on leather. Not saying the leather on the steering wheel is not poor quality (defective) but I think I am going to junk the OEM BMW stuff and just stick with Lexol that I have used for decades on car seats.
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      05-21-2019, 04:27 AM   #51
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That's my take. I didn't debate my service adviser's response as he said the decision came directly from the Dept. Service Manager. No sense in going any further with my adviser or the manager at this point.

There's no harm in trying with BMW NA. I'm a pretty nice, level-headed guy plus I do litigation and expert witness work (not an attorney though) and I love a good debate
Check out this beauty, it even retains the heated element.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F382807932456

I'm usually anal about only OEM or go home but seeing how they can't even withstand water, I don't mine rolling the dice at this immaculate aftermarket attempt.

This same company or some one eBay also purchases messed up wheel cores to refinish, so you might be able to recoup some money back. I sold mines for a $100.

Also, I don't know if you're aware of this but the girth of the wheel for the newer model year actually shrunk a little, this company adds back some padding so it's actually a thicker wheel. Good stuff.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=24398060
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 05:59 AM   #52
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Check out this beauty, it even retains the heated element.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F382807932456

I'm usually anal about only OEM or go home but seeing how they can't even withstand water, I don't mine rolling the dice at this immaculate aftermarket attempt.

This same company or some one eBay also purchases messed up wheel cores to refinish, so you might be able to recoup some money back. I sold mines for a $100.

Also, I don't if you know this but the girth of the wheel for the newer model year actually shrunk a little, this company adds back some padding so it's actually a thicker wheel. Good stuff.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=24398060
Those are the same guys who did my wheel who I suggested initially for a recover job. Donald Li runs the business and does amazing work. I shipped him my wheel and had it back in a couple of weeks.

The quality is infinitely superior to stock and he will do whatever design and materials you want. I enjoy driving the car so much more now that I've had the wheel redone. Materials and workmanship are top notch.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      05-21-2019, 09:13 AM   #53
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:

In both of my examples, the dealer was doing things out of line, and BMW NA came in and straightened them out.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It would seem to me that it would the dealer who may have an incentive to do something to retain customer loyalty, but I doubt if BMW NA would want to set the precedent of covering the cost of replacing a delaminated steering wheel as that would open up a Pandora's box of similar claims.
      05-21-2019, 10:18 AM   #54
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It would seem to me that it would the dealer who may have an incentive to do something to retain customer loyalty, but I doubt if BMW NA would want to set the precedent of covering the cost of replacing a delaminated steering wheel as that would open up a Pandora's box of similar claims.
I had a tearing shifter boot replaced before and also when my driver side headrest had a blotch in the leather. I was honestly surprised when the fresh-faced advisor called and told me the headrest on backorder. I was expecting them to tell me to go kick rocks, you greasy mo-fo, specifically on a leather defect claim but it seems it's 50/50, depending on how they see it the damage.

That same advisor was no longer there four months later, coincidence :
Thanks for the headrest, Chris..
I'm sure you'll find another day job..

They could of covered that dudes steering wheel and it would of probably just sip through the cracks but beside setting precedence for class action repairs, they felt he was partially responsible for the abrasion or they felt it would it would of gotten kicked back, based on prior history of similar claim payment.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 03:38 PM   #55
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Ok, now I'm getting worried:

Steering wheel faded https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1170047
Oof looks like my used 2006 e60. But it's basically new.

Also, used leather cleaner the other day and filled up 2 microfiber rags with black shit before I stopped. Is it clean or am I tearing up the leather? Idk but it feels much better.

As for fixing that leather? I think it's replace or rewrap
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 09:24 PM   #56
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

Quote:
They might quietly do it, they have good willed stuff in the past, without officially acknowledging fault, they might word it as, due to customer loyalty blah blah blah.