THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Potential new owner of an m240

05-13-2019, 11:15 PM   #1
bigscarymonk
Registered
Rep
Drives: Honda Cb1000r

Potential new owner of an m240

Hey everyone,

Been lurking for a few days now figured I should join up as I'm basically ready to pull the trigger on an 18 m240ix in mineral grey.

I've been reading lots on potential mods for the car but I'm definitely curious in the tunes as they all seem to really wake the car up.

I haven't really found any comparisons when it comes to a stock car. I'll eventually do the basic bolt-ons, etc but for now probably just going to grab a tune and see how I like it.

Is there a benefit over one or the other. The Dinan sounds nice but the v2 I've read doesn't seem so great. Am I better to just go the sport plus for now.
Also looked at lots of the mobile app tuners, super interested in the MHD tune as it sounds like it has the most potential.

Any tips or where I should go for basic entry mods to start would be appreciated!

No pics yet as I won't take delivery for a week or so (have to have it shipped).
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 03:27 PM   #2
maxdriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘23 GRolla; MDX S

Have u checked out the sub-forum on engine tuning?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 06:22 PM   #3
bigscarymonk
Registered
Rep

Yupp I've read most of the threads in there haha
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 12:45 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

You cannot go wrong with Bootmod3

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 08:36 AM   #5
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

I'd run the car as stock for a while and see if it meets your expectations. The car is amazingly quick right out of the box. It only gets faster as you break it in.

Plenty of tunes to choose from. Dinan has the piggyback warranty, which is a big deal (to me) if you want to maintain full warranty coverage. Stuff happens whether "stock" or modified. If something happens to the motor and you have a tune on it, you could be looking at a huge "out of pocket" expense.

Dinan is introducing a Stage 2 in the not too distance future, so you may want to hold off until that becomes available.

Having the Stage 1 .v1 Dinan, the car is a beast. Scary fast. That performance boost comes with the occasional self clearing CEL (at least in my case). Performance w/ or w/o the CEL is the same (at least for me). From what I gather, the Stage 1 .v2 is more linear but still quite noticeable over "stock".

Unfortunately, for those having issues w/ the .v1 and going to the .v2, they do notice a drop in the huge torque numbers the .v1 produced early in the RPM range. I'd wager, that anyone adding a .v2 to a stock M240i w/ no knowledge of how the .v1 felt, would be extremely happy with the performance boost of the Stage 1 .v2.

Either way, with a Stage 1, you will have warranty coverage and a path to the upcoming stage 2 flash tune.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 08:05 PM   #6
bigscarymonk
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
I'd run the car as stock for a while and see if it meets your expectations. The car is amazingly quick right out of the box. It only gets faster as you break it in.

Plenty of tunes to choose from. Dinan has the piggyback warranty, which is a big deal (to me) if you want to maintain full warranty coverage. Stuff happens whether "stock" or modified. If something happens to the motor and you have a tune on it, you could be looking at a huge "out of pocket" expense.

Dinan is introducing a Stage 2 in the not too distance future, so you may want to hold off until that becomes available.

Having the Stage 1 .v1 Dinan, the car is a beast. Scary fast. That performance boost comes with the occasional self clearing CEL (at least in my case). Performance w/ or w/o the CEL is the same (at least for me). From what I gather, the Stage 1 .v2 is more linear but still quite noticeable over "stock".

Unfortunately, for those having issues w/ the .v1 and going to the .v2, they do notice a drop in the huge torque numbers the .v1 produced early in the RPM range. I'd wager, that anyone adding a .v2 to a stock M240i w/ no knowledge of how the .v1 felt, would be extremely happy with the performance boost of the Stage 1 .v2.

Either way, with a Stage 1, you will have warranty coverage and a path to the upcoming stage 2 flash tune.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the great info I appreciate it!

Do you know if there is a massive difference between the dinan sport plus vs v2? Like if I were to get the plus for now until there's more on the market like you said.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 09:33 PM   #7
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

From what I gather, the performance between the Dinan Stage 1 .v2 and the Dinan sport is about equal. Anther member had the Sport, got the Stage1 .v1 had issues and dinan swapped his .v1 with he Stage1.v2. He said the two felt about the same (since he had all three on his car). The Sport is less expensive, but you get no warranty coverage for your car with it. You'll get a 1 year warranty on the tunner box and that's it.

If having a piggyback warranty is important, then the Stage 1 .v2 would be the pick. If not than you can save a bunch on the Sport.

Just so you know, should anything go wrong w/ your car with the Sport tune installed, and BM<W says it was the tuner that caused the issue..it come out of your pocket

Also, many will tell you to remove the tune when you take the car in for service, which is fine, but if you bring your car in and you are having a CEL or something more severe, BMW will check the data log on the car's computer. If it shows you were running a tune, and they can tie the issue to that tune, you are stuck w/ the bill.

Chances are you won't have a problem, but, with all things man-made, you never know if something in the engine or transmission lets go, and you had a tune on the car..you could own the repair bill.

With the Stage 1 .v1/.v2, if there is a problem and BMW refuses the repair, Dinan will pick up the tab. Additionally, if the Dinan is installed by your dealer (my BMW dealer is also a Dinan dealer)...the repair and warranty work will be done without you having to get involved.

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 10:05 PM   #8
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240iX Coupe

Ive got the Dinan stage 1 on mine..came installed from the dealer..

Oddly enough the sales guy and 2 others at the dealership had no clue how to even use it.

Im pretty sure its the V1 tune..I'd have to check at another point in time.

however, here's an anecdotal story I can share with you, that will be a good example of why people trust Dinan..and why I'll be getting Stage 2 when it comes..

I called them on the way home from the dealership..right after the ink dried on the deal...they gave tech support over the phone because I couldnt get it to work at first in switching..about 10 minutes into the call the phone tech offered for me to take the car to a dinan dealer and they'd pay for diagnostic (I didnt even ask)..

It turned out to be a simple issue with the app/iphone updates. I had to delete and reinstall the app..However, I was truly impressed with the service at that point, and it sold me on being a future customer.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 10:41 PM   #9
bigscarymonk
Registered
Rep

Quote:
From what I gather, the performance between the Dinan Stage 1 .v2 and the Dinan sport is about equal. Anther member had the Sport, got the Stage1 .v1 had issues and dinan swapped his .v1 with he Stage1.v2. He said the two felt about the same (since he had all three on his car). The Sport is less expensive, but you get no warranty coverage for your car with it. You'll get a 1 year warranty on the tunner box and that's it.

If having a piggyback warranty is important, then the Stage 1 .v2 would be the pick. If not than you can save a bunch on the Sport.

Just so you know, should anything go wrong w/ your car with the Sport tune installed, and BM<W says it was the tuner that caused the issue..it come out of your pocket

Also, many will tell you to remove the tune when you take the car in for service, which is fine, but if you bring your car in and you are having a CEL or something more severe, BMW will check the data log on the car's computer. If it shows you were running a tune, and they can tie the issue to that tune, you are stuck w/ the bill.

Chances are you won't have a problem, but, with all things man-made, you never know if something in the engine or transmission lets go, and you had a tune on the car..you could own the repair bill.

With the Stage 1 .v1/.v2, if there is a problem and BMW refuses the repair, Dinan will pick up the tab. Additionally, if the Dinan is installed by your dealer (my BMW dealer is also a Dinan dealer)...the repair and warranty work will be done without you having to get involved.

Hope this helps
Makes sense, so the Dinan is definitely the safer bet by the sounds of it.

How do you find out if the BMW store is a dinan dealer as well ? Or if they are even in Canada haha.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 07:27 AM   #10
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigscarymonk View Post
Makes sense, so the Dinan is definitely the safer bet by the sounds of it.

How do you find out if the BMW store is a dinan dealer as well ? Or if they are even in Canada haha.
You discover if a BMW dealer is also a Dinan dealer by going to the Dinan website and looking the information up.

Authorized Dinan Dealers

https://www.dinancars.com/authorized-dealers/

Unauthorized Dinan Dealers

https://www.dinancars.com/wp-content..._Sell_List.pdf
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 08:41 AM   #11
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

I understand the BT app does not work w/ the Stage 1 .v2, so yours is likely the .v1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksanderSuave View Post
Ive got the Dinan stage 1 on mine..came installed from the dealer..

Oddly enough the sales guy and 2 others at the dealership had no clue how to even use it.

Im pretty sure its the V1 tune..I'd have to check at another point in time.

however, here's an anecdotal story I can share with you, that will be a good example of why people trust Dinan..and why I'll be getting Stage 2 when it comes..

I called them on the way home from the dealership..right after the ink dried on the deal...they gave tech support over the phone because I couldnt get it to work at first in switching..about 10 minutes into the call the phone tech offered for me to take the car to a dinan dealer and they'd pay for diagnostic (I didnt even ask)..

It turned out to be a simple issue with the app/iphone updates. I had to delete and reinstall the app..However, I was truly impressed with the service at that point, and it sold me on being a future customer.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 10:22 PM   #12
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I understand the BT app does not work w/ the Stage 1 .v2, so yours is likely the .v1.
whats the advantage of V2? everything I read is that power is less.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 06:55 AM   #13
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksanderSuave View Post
whats the advantage of V2? everything I read is that power is less.
The piggyback warranty that covers your car completely if something goes wrong and it's related to the tune.....and BMW refuses to fix it because you installed at tune.

Others, including the Dinan Sport tune do offer the 4 year coverage (matching the Factory warranty coverage time and miles).

The only real question you have to answer if, after spending $50K+ do you want to gamble that adding a tune will cause no issues which may be refused by BMW?

Here's a link to the two tunes compared. Notice that one starts off w/ higher stock HP and one starts recording performance earlier in the RPM range. End numbers show a drop in TQ on the .v2 compared to the .v1 (which shows a huge gain in torque early, and may be the reason some were/are having CEL issues).

Final numbers for the .v2 are still rather good compared to the stock. Thinking that going from stock to a .v2 would be a noticeable gain in performance (if one had no experience with the .v1 first).

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...&postcount=129
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 12:35 PM   #14
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The piggyback warranty that covers your car completely if something goes wrong and it's related to the tune.....and BMW refuses to fix it because you installed at tune.

Others, including the Dinan Sport tune do offer the 4 year coverage (matching the Factory warranty coverage time and miles).

The only real question you have to answer if, after spending $50K+ do you want to gamble that adding a tune will cause no issues which may be refused by BMW?

Here's a link to the two tunes compared. Notice that one starts off w/ higher stock HP and one starts recording performance earlier in the RPM range. End numbers show a drop in TQ on the .v2 compared to the .v1 (which shows a huge gain in torque early, and may be the reason some were/are having CEL issues).

Final numbers for the .v2 are still rather good compared to the stock. Thinking that going from stock to a .v2 would be a noticeable gain in performance (if one had no experience with the .v1 first).

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...&postcount=129
Why would V1 not be covered by warranty?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 03:27 PM   #15
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Both the .v1 and .v2 are covered, the sport is not.

.v1 was pulled from the market by Dinan due to some having CEL issues which could not be resolved. So the pulled the .V1 (which still carried the warranty for those that own one) (I do) and replaced w/ the .v2 which is also covered by their warranty.

When the Stage 2 becomes available, upgrade track will be the same for both the .v1 and .v2 owners
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 12:49 AM   #16
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

.v1 was pulled from the market by Dinan due to some having CEL issues which could not be resolved. So the pulled the .V1 (which still carried the warranty for those that own one) (I do) and replaced w/ the .v2 which is also covered by their warranty.

When the Stage 2 becomes available, upgrade track will be the same for both the .v1 and .v2 owners
Gotcha..scared me for a second lol.

looking forward to stage 2 though.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 08:07 AM   #17
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:

I heard Dinan's next Stage above .v2 for the B58 they're going to back to flash tunes, you know if there's any truth to that?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 09:01 AM   #18
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Cannot confirm, but that is the same story I've been hearing. Originally, rumor had the Stage 2 being released in 2nd qtr 2019. As yet, have not heard how testing is going and whether it will happen as rumored.

Dinan has a great reputation for rock solid tunes and excellent warranty coverage (piggybacking the manufacturer's). The Stage 1 .v1 issues may have made them error on the side of safety rather than rush a flash tune to market.

Personally, I'd prefer a fully tested and verified tune and get it later than sooner.

Interesting side story on my car and the .v1 tune. Driving my car in comfort mode and "D", I was getting a self clearing CEL approx every third start up. It would appear on start or shortly after driving it. Performance and MPG was unaffected. It would disappear approx three starts later and then repeat.

I now run my car in Comfort mode w/ the shift lever set to M/S (car holds gear shifts longer in this mode and downshifts when slowing, so engine RPMs are higher than in Comfort mode). in the past month or longer I have not seen a CEL. I'm guessing the higher RPM's have something to do with the way the tune and the car's ECU are working together

Dinan offered to swap mine out through my BMW dealer for a .v2, but I can live with it until the flash tune arrives (especially since the code is self clearing and can be mitigated w/ shift lever placement (so far). If for some reason Dinan never introduces a Stage 2, I will swap the Stage 1 .v1 for the .v2 before the car goes out of warranty. Reasoning that should I trade in the future, trying to do so with a pesky CEL will likely lower trade in value.

My plan is to add the Stage 2 flash to my Dinan CF intake and keep this car long term. 2.5 years old and have 7K miles on it...so it should last a long time.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      05-24-2019, 09:24 PM   #19
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Cannot confirm, but that is the same story I've been hearing. Originally, rumor had the Stage 2 being released in 2nd qtr 2019. As yet, have not heard how testing is going and whether it will happen as rumored.

Dinan has a great reputation for rock solid tunes and excellent warranty coverage (piggybacking the manufacturer's). The Stage 1 .v1 issues may have made them error on the side of safety rather than rush a flash tune to market.

Personally, I'd prefer a fully tested and verified tune and get it later than sooner.

Interesting side story on my car and the .v1 tune. Driving my car in comfort mode and "D", I was getting a self clearing CEL approx every third start up. It would appear on start or shortly after driving it. Performance and MPG was unaffected. It would disappear approx three starts later and then repeat.

I now run my car in Comfort mode w/ the shift lever set to M/S (car holds gear shifts longer in this mode and downshifts when slowing, so engine RPMs are higher than in Comfort mode). in the past month or longer I have not seen a CEL. I'm guessing the higher RPM's have something to do with the way the tune and the car's ECU are working together

Dinan offered to swap mine out through my BMW dealer for a .v2, but I can live with it until the flash tune arrives (especially since the code is self clearing and can be mitigated w/ shift lever placement (so far). If for some reason Dinan never introduces a Stage 2, I will swap the Stage 1 .v1 for the .v2 before the car goes out of warranty. Reasoning that should I trade in the future, trying to do so with a pesky CEL will likely lower trade in value.

My plan is to add the Stage 2 flash to my Dinan CF intake and keep this car long term. 2.5 years old and have 7K miles on it...so it should last a long time.
I remember reading about this in the other thread, I believe yours was at the point where they stopped offering replacement harnesses, Just an "upgrade" to V2..

That was disappointing to read.

also looking forward to stage 2 here..I dont mind waiting for a tested and reliable version..also waiting on potentially black friday for the CAI sale.
Appreciate 0