THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Left turn signal malfunction

05-19-2019, 10:01 PM   #1
Duker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i X-Drive

Left turn signal malfunction

Posted this in a different section but not having too much luck with replies ..... so maybe someone here has encountered this at one time or another ....

Hello ladies and gentlemen, new to the forum and loving it. So much info it's overwhelming!!
I'm the Proud owner of a 15 M235i x drive that I'm absolutely in love with. Bought it almost two years ago with 13k on it and just turned 176k!
Recently I've been having an issue with my left turn signal not working . It was Intermittent at first but now is just out. Replaced the bulb with oem and aftermarket to no luck with it coming back on.

Obviously this far outta warranty it's not going to a dealer . I'm a 20 year service manager and head technician of a large Yamaha dealership so there nothing I'm not confident in fixing myself , but this has me baffled . Since it's a single Filament bulb obviously it's not manipulating voltage to change from a turn signal to a running lamp. So I'm thinking it must be a ground issue ?
This is one of a few issues I'm having with the car, but really wanna get this situation remedied first lol
Dtc's thru the hidden menu show instrument cluster errors E12C1C, E12C20, and E12C40
Not to sure these are relevant to my issue but just thought I'd put all info I have out there .
Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 12:40 PM   #2
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duker View Post
Posted this in a different section but not having too much luck with replies ..... so maybe someone here has encountered this at one time or another ....

Hello ladies and gentlemen, new to the forum and loving it. So much info it's overwhelming!!
I'm the Proud owner of a 15 M235i x drive that I'm absolutely in love with. Bought it almost two years ago with 13k on it and just turned 176k!
Recently I've been having an issue with my left turn signal not working . It was Intermittent at first but now is just out. Replaced the bulb with oem and aftermarket to no luck with it coming back on.

Obviously this far outta warranty it's not going to a dealer . I'm a 20 year service manager and head technician of a large Yamaha dealership so there nothing I'm not confident in fixing myself , but this has me baffled . Since it's a single Filament bulb obviously it's not manipulating voltage to change from a turn signal to a running lamp. So I'm thinking it must be a ground issue ?
This is one of a few issues I'm having with the car, but really wanna get this situation remedied first lol
Dtc's thru the hidden menu show instrument cluster errors E12C1C, E12C20, and E12C40
Not to sure these are relevant to my issue but just thought I'd put all info I have out there .
Any ideas?
It's a ground issue, here's the official fix:

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ess/1VnZ8zZX2B

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=22903545

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=22912461
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 08:24 AM   #3
Duker
United_States
Rep

I'm not having any issues with the rear besides it flashing fast.. , so can this issue cause the front left amber lamp not to work entirely ???
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 08:47 AM   #4
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm not having any issues with the rear besides it flashing fast.. , so can this issue cause the front left amber lamp not to work entirely ???
Actually no, I doubt the front is interconnected to one ground wire of the rear light.

I misread your issue but it still sounds like short of some kind and aside from moisture damage, the ground wire is usually the culprit in these circumstances.

Sometimes a jolt of power burns it out the wire; I would start there by inspecting the wiring for kinks or corrosion.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 09:51 AM   #5
Duker
United_States
Rep

I pulled the inner fender well down well enough to access the connector going to the left front light assembly. Didn't notice any corrosion or major kinks in the wires. I suppose checking voltage to the running lamp power wire would be the next logical step, then ground , etc etc
. I dont have a wire diagram for this car either .... smh
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 05:07 PM   #6
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I pulled the inner fender well down well enough to access the connector going to the left front light assembly. Didn't notice any corrosion or major kinks in the wires. I suppose checking voltage to the running lamp power wire would be the next logical step, then ground , etc etc
. I dont have a wire diagram for this car either .... smh
This might help:

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ght/1VncCoDjSG

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ght/1VnZDyIY4K

Those are the wire diagram for the LED headlights same as the Xenon.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 05:52 PM   #7
DaveCN
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i, '98 M3

Did you get this sorted? I just got the warning mine was out. Left front is no longer flashing - and from exterior visual inspection, I don't see a burned filament.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 08:26 AM   #8
PANDA F22
///AMG Killa
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i 6MT

Quote:

Any ideas?
Did I read that correctly?? You put 163k miles in under 2 years?!
      06-25-2019, 06:28 PM   #9
Duker
United_States
Rep

Yes ... I put a few miles on... I really enjoy driving that car lol
I never did get the left front malfunction sorted out .... however 3 days ago the engine decided to seize. So it's at a dealership. 188k when it went kaboom
I wish I had some information I could give you in regards to this signal issue. It sure seems like a mad ground somewhere to me, I never did get the Opportunity to check the wiring to the actual headlight assembly .
Appreciate 0