THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Michelin PSS cold weather memo:

01-05-2018, 11:36 AM   #67
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TajoMan View Post
Good all season tire will do just fine in Dallas.

Winter tire is just overkill in Dallas 99% of the time.
Traction is pretty bad when temperature is above 35~40F.

If I live in Dallas, I would stick with PSS and drive slow when it's cold for you folks.
(Daytime high temp has been below 20F here since Christmas. I feel like I can wear short sleeve if I see mid 30. lol)
Exactly.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 08:32 AM   #68
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Here in Columbia, SC it gets below 40 degrees for the first 2 weeks in January. No need for me to get winters. I just replaced my all seasons with the new Conti Extreme Sports. Planning on more fun this year than last and the benefit 99% of the time and driving slow in the cold temps is a trade off I'm willing to take on.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 09:08 AM   #69
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

I’m on PSS here in Dallas. Luckily I was out of town during the cold spell but I’m considering switching to some A/S 3+. My PSS are basically new though so that kind of sucks.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 10:13 AM   #70
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by aozer View Post
I’m on PSS here in Dallas. Luckily I was out of town during the cold spell but I’m considering switching to some A/S 3+. My PSS are basically new though so that kind of sucks.
I was looking at Dallas weather - if I lived there I'd just keep the Summer Pilot's - your daytime highs seem warm enough.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 11:05 AM   #71
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I would run summers all year round if I lived somewhere that typically had 30+ degree temps in the winter as the lows. When the temps are in the 30-45 degree range, just make sure to drive a bit more carefully due to the reduced traction especially if it's wet out.

I run winter performance PA4s and in the dry and sub 40s, I have to drive carefully because the threshold braking and overall handling of the PA4s is easily overwhelmed by the capabilities of the chassis. I run the PA4s because it can be very cold, wet, icy, slushy, and snowy in Kansas City because December and mid-March. That's where the tires would excel over the PSS by a massive margin. I would MUCH rather have the PSS tires if we very rarely saw sub 30 degree temps.
      01-10-2018, 01:02 PM   #72
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
On a wet surface a few degrees above freezing, summer and winter tyre differences can be even more dramatic than on a dry surface, as you can’t keep heat in the tyre, Car Magazine did an interesting comparison a few years ago: http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-new...r-tyre-test-3/
This is tickling my old memories - I think tires have different grip for 'mechanical' vs. a more 'chemical/friction' mode. The first is the simple resistance of sliding something across a rough surface, but the latter is more of a function of elastomers and the coefficient of friction between road and tire. I recall this from some ancient discussions about braking forces - this is why max stopping is right in that near-lockup zone, IIRC, b/c the rubber is heating up and being stretched more, maximizing cF (perhaps also that the incipient slide adds mechanical resistance?). This makes me wonder if the advantage those summer tires had was just b/c they put so much more rubber on the road (they were almost slicks).

And partly just envying those of you who can sometimes get the cold w/o the 12" of snow that comes w/ it. I guess you do have to live in places like Texas though
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 10:29 PM   #73
RotorOver
Newer 2er
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i (Sold)

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [10.00]
Felt so good to be back in the M240i this week after the cold spell lifted! Reminded me what a treat driving this car is!
2017 Audi Q5
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 12:36 PM   #74
Ruhnie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
And partly just envying those of you who can sometimes get the cold w/o the 12" of snow that comes w/ it. I guess you do have to live in places like Texas though
Hell I wish I got to see snow, at least every once in awhile. A light dusting that doesn't stick is usually all we get.