THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Switch from run flat to regular tires

08-20-2015, 07:49 AM   #45
Wheelwright
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i (6MT fakerich edition)

How are exactly non-RFT tires better at handling ? They have softer sidewalls which flex when turning therefore slowing car's response to any steering wheel movements.

On the other hand RFT tires have stiff sidewalls (to support car's weights if air pressure is lost) which make the car handle like it is on rails: all the steering inputs are instantly and telepathically translated into change of direction with no delay, no slop and no "squishiness" common in non-RFT tires.

Before my M235i I had 128i with sport package equipped with RFT Bridestones and I can confirm it handled better, felt more planted and "locked in" than my current car.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 08:37 PM   #46
eclipes
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i Msport

Rft feels like you're riding on concrete. Sidewalls are stiff but very poor feel. Having better shocks/springs will feel like its on rails. I wouldnt want the tires to feel like that, rft bounce too much and not gripy as non rft high performance tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelwright View Post
How are exactly non-RFT tires better at handling ? They have softer sidewalls which flex when turning therefore slowing car's response to any steering wheel movements.

On the other hand RFT tires have stiff sidewalls (to support car's weights if air pressure is lost) which make the car handle like it is on rails: all the steering inputs are instantly and telepathically translated into change of direction with no delay, no slop and no "squishiness" common in non-RFT tires.

Before my M235i I had 128i with sport package equipped with RFT Bridestones and I can confirm it handled better, felt more planted and "locked in" than my current car.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 11:28 AM   #47
JP Medina
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235 Auto AW/Red H/K

Quote:

Dunno how to explain it, as I am certainly not an expert, MUST try it yourself fitting them on your 235. I didnīt believe it either, but very happy with the result.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 11:38 AM   #48
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:

for once non-run flats are much lighter as they don't have the tons of steel to support the weight of the car when you have a flat... and that on top of being unsprung weight will help with better handling

also you can always increase psi if you want stiffer tire but you can't soften an RFT
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 09:03 AM   #49
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
for once non-run flats are much lighter as they don't have the tons of steel to support the weight of the car when you have a flat... and that on top of being unsprung weight will help with better handling

also you can always increase psi if you want stiffer tire but you can't soften an RFT
This and just because the sidewall is stiff because it's a RFT doesn't mean it will have more mechanical grip than a non-RFT.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 01:00 PM   #50
Ace604
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:

Then how come RFT's aren't used in any form of racing? The sidewall stiffness thing is not true as well. Only the core of the tire is super stiff rather than the whole sidewall. If you'd ever had a flat with a RFT you can see that there is a core that holds the tire up (the tire is noticeably flat). Only that core area of the sidewall is super stiff.

The RFT tires also easily bends over under intense cornering (had first hand experience @ autox events). Its common for people to run super high tire pressures (~40 psi) at the autox/track if they have RFTs compared to low 30 PSI for non RFTs just so the sidewall would not give out. If the sidewalls are so stiff as you claim, there would be no need to run such high PSIs. RFTs have no place in performance driving whatsoever.

PS: I've had the Bridgestone S001 RFTs and they are absolute garbage compared to actual performance non-RFT tires. Not to mention they are expensive as hell to replace.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 05:48 PM   #51
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
All you have to do is run a slalom with run flats and hear that tires squeal and lose traction. No way run flats are higher performance.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 05:33 AM   #52
SeanE
Private
Rep
Drives: '16 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
Generally yes.

You can check tirerack.com for prices.

For example the factory All Season Pirelli P7's which come on most of the 2's are $250 a tire. The same size Michelin PSS tires are $190 a tire - almost a $250 savings.

Keep in mind if your car came with the square (225 front/rear) tires you will not be able to fit the same tire width as the staggered wheels that come on the car when equipped with the summer tires.

You can either buy new wheels, try to find a used set of staggered wheels on the forum, or stick with a square setup and run the same sized tires.

My car came ordered with the all seasons, so I have a new set of summer wheels with MPSS on order, I'm in the same boat as you.

I'll keep the factory wheels and replace the all season RFTs (I've already blown out 2 within the past 2 weeks) with dedicated winter tires.

Lastly, if your car is a lease - you will need to return it with RFT's on it (unless the dealer doesn't know better and sees MPSS tires and thinks they are factory).
So i've read it both ways on this--that even your car came with the pirelli A-S RFT, that the rims themselves were still staggered. Sounds like you've confirmed that is not true?

I'm also stuck in this boat unfortunately. Going to keep the pirellis on through winter and the first few thousand miles for break-in anyhow. Springtime will be looking for options.
Appreciate 0