THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes HR Springs too weak for stock shocks.

08-20-2015, 04:36 PM   #23
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane060 View Post
So is this the case for us drivers who track their M235s on HR or what? I put my M235 on HR springs a few months ago and am starting to worry reading this post!?!? My main concern is that I don't track my car or even autoX it... Its just a garage queen that I drive on the weekends so am I one to have to worry about this issue so early and prematurely?? Again I only drive it on the weekends for leisure...
Well, I would say there are a few things at work here.

1) Premature wear. BMW would claim that any change from OEM will cause premature wear/tear and is not covered by warranty. Whether or not HR springs cause this remains to be seen systemically, but some of us have seen it.

2) On Track, some like Liquidpaper have seen no issues over multiple track events. That said, he also has camber plates installed and this may help? Dunno.

3) Don't worry, be happy. Monitor, don't worry. Unless the car feels like it has an issue or demonstrates it (such as my leaks), I would not worry. For some reason, this is only affecting my left front strut - all others are perfectly happy with the HR springs!

4) Garage queen - what a waste, 'nuff said ;-) I love mine as a DD (strut issue aside) and these engines love to be run. Let the horses out to play daily!
      08-21-2015, 02:11 PM   #24
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Sorry guys have been super busy, just finished installing the dinan and much improved.

Also hr ride on the bump stops in the rear, even with dinan bump stops, they are also too weak. I was hoping to run hr in rear, for lighter spring rate, allowing the car to transfer some weight to the rear under braking.

Honestly having pulled them and seeing how low they sit, there is no way I would use them for anything on the m235i,. I am kind of hesitant to even sell them. Regular driving can be worse than the track on suspension. Track is pretty smooth, not many unknowns.

No to mention the ride is much much improved on dinans, I will see at the track when it cools off a bit. Will post some photos soon.
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2015, 11:14 AM   #25
JibHonk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 15 m235i

MEhhh kw v2 coils for me soon then!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 05:09 PM   #26
Racer20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 228i THP, E46 ZHP

Macphersen strut suspensions do not have an upper control arm, so all the lateral loads from cornering and road inputs impart a bending force on the strut. That's why they have thick rods and are generally beefier than a normal shock.

This bending load increases friction and wear on the strut rod, seals, and piston band significantly.

OEM springs are typically designed in such a way that the force applied by the spring doesn't act straight along the strut axis, it acts at an angle to partially offset the bending load on a strut and reduce this wear. If an aftermarket spring isn't designed to compensate for this lateral load as well as the stock spring, you'll wear out the strut much faster.
      09-10-2015, 04:46 PM   #27
M2TROLL
WRX Betrayer
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235ix Estoril Blue Coral Red

So given the discussion, what's the route those of us with the h&rs should go to avoid strut issues while keeping the h&rs? Upgrade struts only feasible?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 05:33 PM   #28
shane060
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235 6spd 2011 M3 DCT

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Seems that its mixed some are fine and have no issues and some have encountered issues. Guess it depends if your daily driving, tracking, auto x whatever. Im still kinda worried since I Just installed mine about 400 miles ago but being my car is a weekend cruiser I can't really tell just yet compared to others.?! Im hoping that i don't have to go back to stock springs but I am going to have my mechanic check my springs and components next week while its up on the lift for a down pipe install.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 05:43 PM   #29
M2TROLL
WRX Betrayer
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235ix Estoril Blue Coral Red

I'm a bit worried since I've run into 2 potholes this summer which both times sliced the sidewall of my tire (stupid rfts). I noticed just last night when getting into my car a faint squeak coming from the front left wheel well (mind you I only weigh 160lbs). 1st time I hit the pothole I was on stock springs, second time was last week on h&rs....anyone want to give me an Internet diagnosis for the squeak from the front left wheel well given the circumstances? I have new wheels on the way so will probably have the suspension checked when putting them on..
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2015, 09:19 PM   #30
shane060
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235 6spd 2011 M3 DCT

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
I weigh the exact same as you so we are on the same boat on that one lol... Anyways I can honestly say I had my springs done by a top top BMW and European mechanic here in San Antonio and have heard of other people having noise, squeaks and damage of course due to improper installment and non alignment possibly speaking. I had a squeak the first two days from my drivers side only going over some hefty speed bumps, slow of course but after a day or two they settled in perfect and noise free and I had an alignment done the following week to make sure everything was spot ont! The roads here in San Antonio SUCK terribly with potholes and the general condition overall is just crap so I'm going to have mine checked again while on the lift next week and will relay the findings of course.
Appreciate 0