THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning M Performance LSD Cross Compatibility w/ F/30?

05-23-2019, 08:41 AM   #23
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost.M View Post
That's true, the ring gears are welded on these so swapping the internals is probably not worth the effort. Really hoping it fits perfectly!

M2/3/4 have completely different rear end incl subframe and electronic clutch diff so makes sense that won't be an easy crossover. Even if it did fit, the M235i isn't wired to take advantage of those diffs,,, would it even lockup?
You'd need the OEM controller, and code it in. Probably easier to find an aftermarket electronic differential controller. Not worth it, imo. The mechanical units do just fine, no nanny there to help
      05-31-2019, 05:15 PM   #24
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
I have F80 lowering springs and F30 sways bars on my M235i so it seems I will be the guinea pig for another cross platform modification haha. I went ahead and ordered it earlier this week from another seller and it was about $620 shipped. Can't beat that price, and should be easy to resell if necessary. It won't arrive until July as they are backordered from Germany so it will be some time before I can have it installed on the car. Excited to see how this works and love to see the discussion that has developed!
Unfortunately you will not get to be a guinea pig on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arhoads335i View Post
Sooo buy it or not lol
Too late by atleast a week +
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 05:27 PM   #25
ghost.M
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM M235i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:
I have F80 lowering springs and F30 sways bars on my M235i so it seems I will be the guinea pig for another cross platform modification haha. I went ahead and ordered it earlier this week from another seller and it was about $620 shipped. Can't beat that price, and should be easy to resell if necessary. It won't arrive until July as they are backordered from Germany so it will be some time before I can have it installed on the car. Excited to see how this works and love to see the discussion that has developed!

Quote:
Sooo buy it or not lol
How so? Link to the post for someone else who's already tried it.

My LSD will ship in July with the rest of them and will immediately be fitted to the car unless someone who has already tried this can confirm that it definitively will not work.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 05:32 PM   #26
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Sooo buy it or not lol

My LSD will ship in July with the rest of them and will immediately be fitted to the car unless someone who has already tried this can confirm that it definitively will not work.
Incorrect.

BMW has changed status of the units and only 11 are now shown on backorder. And those will most likely be cancelled soon.

The unit is officially listed as discontinued and not order-able in the BMW system with only 11 in backorder queue.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 01:17 PM   #27
ghost.M
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Sooo buy it or not lol

Incorrect.

BMW has changed status of the units and only 11 are now shown on backorder. And those will most likely be cancelled soon.

The unit is officially listed as discontinued and not order-able in the BMW system with only 11 in backorder queue.
The support team at bmw parts hub disagrees with you but we'll see what happens come July.
The window to order does seems to have closed however, so might be tough to get going forward. I'm excited!

From BPH:
"I can tell you I have a sales order number generated by BMW, that order is current. You will be getting one of these in July.
As far as the 11 on back order, I am not seeing any back order numbers online. With BMW putting a freeze on any new orders, there is no way now to know exactly how many are on back order without reaching out to the warehouse for an up to date back order status.

Any order with a sales order number generated by BMW will be getting one. If you do not have a confirmed order then yes, your order could be canceled.

Looks like you can brag a little bit once you get yours. They will re-release these as soon as the vendor supply gets back up to open the order process. There is not time frame of that currently."
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 01:59 PM   #28
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Sooo buy it or not lol

Incorrect.

The support team at bmw parts hub disagrees with you but we'll see what happens come July.
The window to order does seems to have closed however, so might be tough to get going forward. I'm excited!

From BPH:
"I can tell you I have a sales order number generated by BMW, that order is current. You will be getting one of these in July.
As far as the 11 on back order, I am not seeing any back order numbers online. With BMW putting a freeze on any new orders, there is no way now to know exactly how many are on back order without reaching out to the warehouse for an up to date back order status.

Any order with a sales order number generated by BMW will be getting one. If you do not have a confirmed order then yes, your order could be canceled.

Looks like you can brag a little bit once you get yours. They will re-release these as soon as the vendor supply gets back up to open the order process. There is not time frame of that currently."
Use a bit of common sense.

1) These cannot be built for the MSRP price of $567.

2) If they could, then BMW would continue to offer for anyone that wanted to be in that final build. But as BPH noted, the unit is no longer available and discontinued.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 02:16 PM   #29
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:

2) If they could, then BMW would continue to offer for anyone that wanted to be in that final build. But as BPH noted, the unit is no longer available and discontinued.
Why are all your posts so snippy on these forums?
sea_m2c82.00
      06-03-2019, 02:24 PM   #30
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Quote:

Why are all your posts so snippy on these forums?
You mean when people throw common sense out the window?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 08:43 AM   #31
ghost.M
Private
United_States
Rep

Woke up to this email from BPH this morning:

"Hello and Good Morning,

I have good news, today our warehouse received your M rear diff.

We should have it packed and shipped out tomorrow or Thurs.

I appreciate your patience, anything good is worth waiting for. We will be in touch with tracking as soon as it leaves."

I should have this on the car in a few weeks time, very exciting!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 03:56 PM   #32
Sail Boat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:

"Hello and Good Morning,

I appreciate your patience, anything good is worth waiting for. We will be in touch with tracking as soon as it leaves."

IK6SPEED, what's your hot take?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 01:42 PM   #33
jondagger
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:

"Hello and Good Morning,

STATUS UPDATE??
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 03:43 PM   #34
jondagger
Banned
United_States
Rep

BMW Parts HQ shop foreman says, he does not recommend it. The reason why is they have different gear ratios and could mess with the DME or programming of vehicle. Still interested, as they could just be trying to upsell the unsellable $2,000 2-series LSD.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 11:01 PM   #35
ghost.M
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondagger View Post
BMW Parts HQ shop foreman says, he does not recommend it. The reason why is they have different gear ratios and could mess with the DME or programming of vehicle. Still interested, as they could just be trying to upsell the unsellable $2,000 2-series LSD.
I haven't gotten it in the car yet unfortunately. Will update with results here when I do. Should be sometime in early 2020...
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 07:22 AM   #36
jondagger
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I haven't gotten it in the car yet unfortunately. Will update with results here when I do. Should be sometime in early 2020...
Quote:
Quote:
Lol a true BMWian, I'll be posted for the massive press release. Please follow up when completed. Thanks !
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 10:43 PM   #37
CEDS 2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive

Quote:

Even if it can't be built for the MSRP price of $567, why can't they sell it at a loss to get rid of inventory? Why would some dealerships sell cars below cost? There's a reason for everything my dude
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 10:58 PM   #38
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEDS 2 View Post
Quote:

Even if it can't be built for the MSRP price of $567, why can't they sell it at a loss to get rid of inventory? Why would some dealerships sell cars below cost? There's a reason for everything my dude
That's what they WERE doing, dude. Selling at a loss.

Point is, they are not going to build more to sell at a loss.

You proved my point.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 11:18 PM   #39
CEDS 2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You proved my point.
I'm not really sure I proved your point at all. Clearly he got one shipped to him...so they had more stock than the "11 in back order".
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 11:20 PM   #40
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You proved my point.
I'm not really sure I proved your point at all. Clearly he got one shipped to him...so they had more stock than the "11 in back order".
How do you know that wasn't one of the 11?

Furthermore, as no one has any, if you were correct, why isn't BMW making more to sell at a loss :LOL:
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 11:27 PM   #41
CEDS 2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You proved my point.

Furthermore, as no one has any, if you were correct, why isn't BMW making more to sell at a loss :LOL:
If you scroll up, you said he would NOT get it shipped to him. When he said he had confirmation it was coming from BMW, you also disputed and questioned his common sense. So obviously BMW had some in stock to sell at a loss. Who knows why it was on backorder...but hey, he got his lsd in the end
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 11:30 PM   #42
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You proved my point.

If you scroll up, you said he would NOT get it shipped to him. When he said he had confirmation it was coming from BMW, you also disputed and questioned his common sense. So obviously BMW had some in stock to sell at a loss. Who knows why it was on backorder...but hey, he got his lsd in the end
I am sure most didn't get shipped with only 11 in inventory. If you read the main thread, after the initial rush BMW did a final inventory, decided how many to keep for any warranty issues and released the final inventory.

Odd were high he wouldn't get one. I know some who attempted from BPH who didn't get them.

He won the lottery.

Although strange he hasn't attempted to do anything with it.

The common sense part was directed at people like you that think BMW would produce more LSDs to sell at a loss after they were out of stock.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 11:54 PM   #43
CEDS 2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I am sure most didn't get shipped with only 11 in inventory. If you read the main thread, after the initial rush BMW did a final inventory, decided how many to keep for any warranty issues and released the final inventory.

Odd were high he wouldn't get one. I know some who attempted from BPH who didn't get them.

He won the lottery.

Although strange he hasn't attempted to do anything with it.

The common sense part was directed at people like you that think BMW would produce more LSDs to sell at a loss after they were out of stock.
Taken from ghost's post

"From BPH:

Nobody said anything about BMW producing more to sell at a loss. The "11 back orders" seems to be a number you pulled out of your ass. I simply said there was a reason for manufacturers to sell things at a loss. Not sure why you're so offended. lol
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 11:56 PM   #44
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Taken from ghost's post

"From BPH:

Nobody said anything about BMW producing more to sell at a loss. The "11 back orders" seems to be a number you pulled out of your ass. I simply said there was a reason for manufacturers to sell things at a loss. Not sure why you're so offended. lol
Clearly you and he do not have great sources within BMW.

Even the email states "BMW Warehouse knows the exact number". Nor did they dispute the number.
Appreciate 0