THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum My M235i Build/Journey (Track Build)

10-28-2020, 03:03 PM   #133
danyosun
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by danyosun View Post
First off, amazing build! Gain so much good information from your thread.

Are your APEX EC-7 9.5 ET43 in the rear really perfect? The APEX reps and a few guys have said it pokes and they all suggest 9.5 ET58 with 5mm spacers. Everyone seems to be scared to run ET43, except for you.

Just a short background, I am on Dinan Springs and I do plan on tracking (first timer) the car with the correct alignment, probably 2.25° in the rear based off quick research. I would prefer going ET43 in the rear to avoid using any spacers and have a slightly more "aggressive" stance/setup. I've also read, for each degree of camber, the wheel should be tucked about 4mm or so, any truth to that? Therefore, by running your exact set up and -2.25° camber, I shouldn't have any clearance issues right?

I'll probably run 255/40 RE71r to be safe first, unless you're confident I can clear 265 with ease.

I also never even considered running 18x9 ET42 on the front as I never seen anyone run that spec before. Any huge advantage running 9 ET42 instead of 8.5 ET 35 on the fronts? Trying to get close to square as possible maybe?
Thanks for the kind words, sir! It's been a great journey and still growing as I go.

In terms of fitment on the rear, Apex did advise that it'll be very close and to plan to run a 255 max without a fender pull. I installed them as is with 265 RE's and -2.2* camber and it only rubbed on big compressions and I'm also a bit lower in the rear than a Dinan spring drop so it may be a non issue. I've recommended this setup before with a 255, I think it'd be perfect. With a fender pull you'll get 265's in there no sweat.

The front 9" et42 was also recommended by Apex as a max width for the front. I was going to run 9" square but wanted to get more tire in the rear so I went with the staggered setup. With 265/9.5 and 255/9" the contact patch with the RE's is very similar, it drives very square.

I would consider 18x9 et42 square with 255's. You'll require minimum -2.5* camber up front so camber plates are a definite must. Otherwise you're either forced to go staggered or have a super aggressive 9.5" square set which would require even more finking.

Hope that makes sense
Thanks dude, appreciate you confirming all the ideas I had running through my head to see if it's even possible. Forsure going to order 18x9 ET42 in the fronts and 18x9.5 ET43 in the rears now.

I think I'll go slightly more conservative than you and run 245/40 on 9" and 255/35 on 9.5" first since I don't want to pull the fenders just yet if I didn't have to. Would you suggest those tires specs for me? Damn I can't wait!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 03:20 PM   #134
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyosun View Post
Thanks dude, appreciate you confirming all the ideas I had running through my head to see if it's even possible. Forsure going to order 18x9 ET42 in the fronts and 18x9.5 ET43 in the rears now.

I think I'll go slightly more conservative than you and run 245/40 on 9" and 255/35 on 9.5" first since I don't want to pull the fenders just yet if I didn't have to. Would you suggest those tires specs for me? Damn I can't wait!
Don’t be turned off by a 235/40, either. they’ll run just a hair smaller than the 245/35 and contact patch will be very similar on a 9” wheel, also a lot more options out there in that size.
      10-28-2020, 03:25 PM   #135
danyosun
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:

Don't be turned off by a 235/40, either. they'll run just a hair smaller than the 245/35 and contact patch will be very similar on a 9" wheel, also a lot more options out there in that size.
Yeah I just did a quick search and there wasn't that many options in that size. Never looked for tires on a 9" wheel before so wasn't sure. I'll just run 235/40 and 255/35 and go from there
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      11-04-2020, 08:31 PM   #136
tcollier91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240i

Getting KW DDC plug and play, f80 LCA, TS, and 10/15mm spacers installed tomorrow. Any last min tips?
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      11-05-2020, 03:26 AM   #137
TakoMako
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcollier91 View Post
Getting KW DDC plug and play, f80 LCA, TS, and 10/15mm spacers installed tomorrow. Any last min tips?
Keep rear camber within -2.5*, or you would have trouble with too much oversteer, especially with 0 toe
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      11-05-2020, 03:57 PM   #138
MyM235i
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

Hey can I ask where you found the Megan rear links in Canada? so far all I can find is Tdot. I was in Rossland this summer on the bike. Great roads compared to YYC and the food is great at the ski hill!
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      11-05-2020, 05:48 PM   #139
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyM235i View Post
Hey can I ask where you found the Megan rear links in Canada? so far all I can find is Tdot. I was in Rossland this summer on the bike. Great roads compared to YYC and the food is great at the ski hill!
Hey man, believe it or not I got them from Tdot on the Black Friday 15% off. Made more sense at the time for me to go through them, I believe there's another brand in the USA that sells the exact same links but they're silver, maybe Bimmerworld?

I miss Rossy, we moved back to Onterrible last year so the other half could get into her career. We lived @ Red mtn in the chalet, what a life. Definitely plan to return in the future, we just weren't ready to settle down without a second career in motion. Sucks because we were sad to leave that quality of life behind.
      11-06-2020, 08:54 PM   #140
TakoMako
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I have someone who might be able to get you the Megan end links here in YYC.

I have used camber plate here if you want to get into more track/autocross.

I autocross with SASC and CSCC around YYC with my m240i xdrive on KW CS
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 07:48 PM   #141
MyM235i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakoMako View Post

Sounds good! Hook me up if you can. Send me a PM

I'm sure we know some of the same people. I know a couple cscc folks. It does depend when you did it. Right now I only know one guy from work that runs a white subi.

How are the CS? Did you just code out the adaptive damping?

As for camber plates I think I am just going to do the LCA/TS. Ill see what the new track brings but will likely be there on the bike more than the car. Way cheaper to run and IMHO more fun.

With any luck we will get two tracks!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 02:51 PM   #142
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

Quote:

You say you have KW Club Sport on 240xi?
      11-09-2020, 10:45 PM   #143
TakoMako
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalaxy View Post
Quote:

You say you have KW Club Sport on 240xi?
Yep, KW clubsport 2-way.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 10:49 PM   #144
TakoMako
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Sounds good! Hook me up if you can. Send me a PM

I'm sure we know some of the same people. I know a couple cscc folks. It does depend when you did it. Right now I only know one guy from work that runs a white subi.

How are the CS? Did you just code out the adaptive damping?

As for camber plates I think I am just going to do the LCA/TS. Ill see what the new track brings but will likely be there on the bike more than the car. Way cheaper to run and IMHO more fun.

With any luck we will get two tracks!
The CS is awesome, goes really well Dinan sway bars. As to the adaptive damping, I had to pulled the EDC module out from the trunk myself and brought it to ECUprogram for coding.

PM'ed you.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 08:06 AM   #145
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

I just realized you have WMI! Ahh, my hopes of keeping IATs under control with a air to air intercooler went up in flames
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      02-02-2021, 06:48 AM   #146
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
I just realized you have WMI! Ahh, my hopes of keeping IATs under control with a air to air intercooler went up in flames
WMI is a blessing just to keep temps down. I have only used it for cooling so far but plan to do something more with it in the future.
      02-16-2023, 07:51 PM   #147
LanceM26
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i, BMW M240iX

Quote:
Update:

Have had a couple of weeks to fine tune the dampers for my local roads, and am very happy with how it handles the low/high speed bumps. Having the ability to tune the low -speed compression damping really allows you to customize how the car drives on public roads, with all of the imperfections you'll be faced with. Had a spirited mountain drive the other evening and can already feel the confidence in the car at speeds. There is a few fast twisty sections going up a local pass, that I am carrying about 20-30km/h more speed than what I used to, and the car had more in it! Can't wait to get this car back to Area27 race track, I feel like I'll chop 7-10 seconds off between the suspension tuning, brakes, and the tires that I'll be running.

KW EDC Cancel "diodes" - WHAT A FUC**** WASTE OF MONEY!!! Too bad I had these sitting for so long, can't warranty or return these POS's. I'm so mad at myself for not listening to the F8x guys about these being a waste of money. They worked for two weeks, and now everything's gone haywire with regard to my ABS/DSC/FEM modules, ugh. Now I'm stuck in bloody "comfort" mode for the time being, cant go WOT until 4th, lol. Will be removing them and coding the car, as I SHOULD have, to deal with the EDC related error codes/lights. Sometimes I don't mind spending the extra $$ to do something "clean" and "plug & play", even though there is an option to do the same for 75% less. Lesson learned, stay cheap, it doesn't always pay to have the "better" option. Coding can be reversed just the same as unplugging a diode, etc..

Track wheel fitment: Looks like I will have to modify my front calipers slightly in order to allow fitment of the Apex ARC 8's, or most 18" wheels, for that matter. I invested into these wheels prior to acquiring the 380mm BBK, so this was not something I had initially planned, to do. Therefor, I will run with what I have, now, and take off the 1mil or so of material off of the portion of caliper that makes contact with the inner barrel of the wheel. Shitty that I have to do it, but it's not an area that is a cause for concern, both integrity wise and cosmetically. Will be doing this next weekend, when I'm finished a project I'm working on, for work..

The alignment, lol. Man o man, this was time consuming. I had the car set up pretty good on day 1, but then as I started to tune in the optimal ride height, front camber, etc, it altered my initial setup (obviously). I then decided to use the time back on the rack, to make marks on my camber plates for -3.5* for track use and -2.5* for street use. I didn't realize until the 4th or 5th time, adjusting the top hats, that the drivers side shock tower is square, and the passenger side is off center, so every time I'd go to line and measure up on the driver side, to match the passenger, I'd have almost a full extra degree of camber. Was a bit of a mind f***, but once I realized that both sides are not the same, I simply made individual adjustments until I achieved the camber I was after. Alignment now finished for the time being, next time I change it, will be at the track. I also got the rear toe a little bit closer to factory, as opposed to 0, it was a bit much for daily driving..

All said and done, in a couple of weeks the painful setup and changes needed to wrap up my build will be finished, and I'll be able to move forward with my event plans for the spring/summer/fall. I have a shop that I've connected with, in Kelowna BC, who will be doing a corner balance on the car, and once that's done, it's onto the tarmac, for me! Should be 4-5 events this year, not including test/tune days, so I should really have a good understanding of where my skills are at, in relation to the capability of the newly setup car, by the years end. I was over driving this car last year, with street tires and dinan suspension, and feel I've covered all of the areas that showed the weaknesses. Needless to say I'm very excited, and hopefully the car and it's new capabilities are everything I was looking for, when I started acquiring parts and venturing down this path.

I will make sure to keep this journal updated with pics from the build (still haven't had time to upload the 100+ photos of the sway bar job, rear end, etc), and ongoing updates/changes to the car, if any.
Dylan86

Do you have pictures of the front caliper modification?

I have the front f80 m3 brakes coming in and didn't realize my apex arc8s might not clear it.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 01:00 PM   #148
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

OP, are you still with us?
      10-26-2023, 07:28 PM   #149
harma24
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i Glacier Silver

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
OP, are you still with us?
The OP hasn't been around for more than two years...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0