THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Kia Makes Bold Claims in New Commercial: "New K5 Out-Handles BMW 330i"

11-22-2020, 10:08 AM   #45
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
I haven't driven those models so I can't speak to them. But I've never found BMW's EPS to be lacking in precision, it's more the lack of proper weighting and when such a thing is present, it's very artificial and needlessly heavy. The M cars I've driven are better, but I miss the days when even a base 3-series felt very dialed in.

Porsche's steering on the other hand provides that natural-feeling resistance against the front wheels that we covet. Macans and Cayennes are very popular so they've seem to have struck a proper balance between sportiness and daily usability. Why BMW refuses to do this is beyond my understanding.
What I don't understand about BMW is they made a great EPS system for the E85/86 (non-M). The steering column is power assisted rather than the steering rack. IMO this is how all EPS should be implemented. The EPS in the E85/86 does not feel artificial, gives good feedback, and has good weighting. Best is all the electronics and motor are inside the cabin protected from the elements. I didn't realize my E86 had EPS until I went looking to check for the PS fluid level after I brought it home from CarMax.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 2
3798j3240.00
Germanauto5353.00

Yesterday, 11:02 AM   #46
Germanauto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Lexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
What I don't understand about BMW is they made a great EPS system for the E85/86 (non-M). The steering column is power assisted rather than the steering rack. IMO this is how all EPS should be implemented. The EPS in the E85/86 does not feel artificial, gives good feedback, and has good weighting. Best is all the electronics and motor are inside the cabin protected from the elements. I didn't realize my E86 had EPS until I went looking to check for the PS fluid level after I brought it home from CarMax.
Yeah I read a while back the E85 had EPS and was very surprised. My DD Lexus also has EPS but it's probably a similar setup as the Z4 which is why it's so tight and brimming with road feel.
      Yesterday, 11:03 AM   #47
Germanauto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Lexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
There was no precision in the "dead spot" in the middle of the steering.
True, I should've specified I meant more on turn in.
      Yesterday, 01:04 PM   #48
arashir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82

Of course the handling will be worse when comparing a runflat tire to a non runflat, given everything else is the same.

Of course the handling will be worse when comparing a thinner tire to a wider tire, given everything else the same, at least within these testing bounds.

Are the reviewing the quality of the car, or are they reviewing the tires?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 01:06 PM   #49
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
This is an example of clever marketing, plain and simple. It's designed to make potential K5 owners comfortable about a purchase decision. I've done a very similar dance before. Back in 2010/11, C&D had an article showing that the then new Mustang with the new coyote engine got similar numbers to the then new e92 M3 for half the price. I owned both cars. There's a reason why the M3 was more expensive. It's just a nicer, better built car.

I learned my lessen at that point that there's no real replacement for the real thing. Perhaps the numbers can be made to look more favorable for the cheaper alternative, but the experience behind the wheel--the intangibles are what you're paying for. I have not driven either car in this particular test, nor do I have any interest in owning either. But, IMO, it's the intangibles that sell the car. For others, it's the badge. I suspect that there's way more people wishing they could get into a 3 series but only have K5 money than people looking to buy a 3 series cars also seriously considering the K5 class of car.

The only thing that BMW has failed at is having equally as clever marketing. Although not a base 3 series, I very much enjoyed my time in a current gen M340.
Appreciate 1
arashir122.50

Yesterday, 01:41 PM   #50
5.M0NSTER
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6MT Drivers Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Roundel View Post
This is an example of clever marketing, plain and simple. It's designed to make potential K5 owners comfortable about a purchase decision. I've done a very similar dance before. Back in 2010/11, C&D had an article showing that the then new Mustang with the new coyote engine got similar numbers to the then new e92 M3 for half the price. I owned both cars. There's a reason why the M3 was more expensive. It's just a nicer, better built car.

I learned my lessen at that point that there's no real replacement for the real thing. Perhaps the numbers can be made to look more favorable for the cheaper alternative, but the experience behind the wheel--the intangibles are what you're paying for. I have not driven either car in this particular test, nor do I have any interest in owning either. But, IMO, it's the intangibles that sell the car. For others, it's the badge. I suspect that there's way more people wishing they could get into a 3 series but only have K5 money than people looking to buy a 3 series cars also seriously considering the K5 class of car.

The only thing that BMW has failed at is having equally as clever marketing. Although not a base 3 series, I very much enjoyed my time in a current gen M340.
I donít know about this. Iíve smoked a few E92 M3s with my Ď14 GT Mustang at the track. It was a very capable car. I still miss the V8 every day compared to my M2. The BMW has nicer interior, better fit and finish. But I do miss the thrill of the GT. It wasnít so much riding a horse. It was like breaking one. Very visceral.
Appreciate 1
jmack156.50