THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB Boot / Trunk won't open - Remove rear seats??

09-16-2020, 06:29 AM   #1
TZ2005
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Boot / Trunk won't open - Remove rear seats??

Hi all,

I have a 64 plate M235i and the boot has decided to stop opening. When using either the key fob or the manual lever, the motor clicks for about a second but it doesn't unlock.

There are no safety levers on the inside of the boot or override buttons in the cabin in the UK version (nice one), however I am aware you should be able to pop the latch from the inside using a screwdriver.

The problem i'm facing is actually getting there, as my rear seats are currently upright. I have the split folding rear seats.

I've taken the bottom seat and the side bolsters out including the 2 torx screws in the side but the issue is it seems to be bolted in the middle where the seat split is - and if it is, the bolt seems to only be accessible from inside the boot!

I've looked at guides for the F20 and others but none have the folding rear seats and i've tried giving it welly to lift and pull them but all i can see happening is breaking something.

anyone have experience removing these seats, or, anyone have any other suggestions for getting the boot open?

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 07:02 AM   #2
KennyFSU
Captain
Rep
Drives: Lexus RC F

Garage List
Have you tried calling BMW Assist? (800-332-4269). They have an unlock function.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 09:43 AM   #3
TZ2005
Rep

thanks, i haven't tried (not sure on the UK number but could dig it out). Only, not sure if they would be able to help as it seems a mechanical failure of the lock - it is receiving power as it clicks and tries to open but wont actually unlock
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 01:55 AM   #4
ngl
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

If you have rear cup holders you can access the trunk without taking anything apart. Just release the lever seen in the attached picture and then you can get your hand in to release the backrest as you normally would.
Attached Images

Quaife LSD | BC Racing Coilovers | H&R ARB | F8x LCA+TS | Wiechers Strutbar | Mishimoto CAI | Mishimoto Oil Cooler | Mishimoto Oil Catch Can | Mishimoto FMIC | VRSF DP | Masata TIC | Masata CP | DV+ | Custom Kline Exhaust | GTS Style Roll Cage | Sparco Evo QRT | Brey-Krause seat mounts | Schroth Profi 2 ASM 6p | 10" Android HU| xHP Stage3 | BM3 | RaceCapture Data Logger
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 02:18 AM   #5
TZ2005
Rep

Thanks again but no rear cup holders. The 2 series split folding seats are 60/40. Just been out there again, managed to contrapt a long pole I can slide down the side of the seat to try and push the seat release but I'm just stabbing around in the dark and no idea if I'm close or not! The seat releases are all the way near the front of the boot on the roof of it
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 04:14 AM   #6
Caduceus
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 (sold), 2017 M2

Have you tried just holding upward pressure on the boot as you try and trigger the lock?

Also try constant downward pressure on the boot while doing the same. This may take some load off the lock mechanism and give it a chance to work if it’s marginal.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 05:41 AM   #7
TZ2005
Rep

Yeah tried that with no luck. Even got a mate to push down and pull up with me.

Tried contacting BMW as there must be a solution for this, otherwise tomorrow will borrow a mates fibre optic cable to help using a rod to trigger the seat release!
Appreciate 1
pmcmtnbkr105.50
      09-17-2020, 05:48 AM   #8
gosi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240

At this point I’m thankful my car has 3 way folding seats, as this looks awful to deal with 😬
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 04:29 AM   #9
TZ2005
Rep

For anyone who has this issue i have just fixed it (delayed as was on holiday etc...):

ended up buying a small camera with LED lights on it that you can plug into an android phone, cost 10 quid off amazon. strapped that to an old golf club shaft and slid it down the side of the back rest, after having taken out the side bolster and removed the torx screw.

took about 20 mins of using the camera and finding the right position to be able to hook on to the seat release.

Then it was a simple open the latch from inside with a screwdriver (I understand US will have an emergency release lever).

Ordered a new locking latch from BMW for 90 quid and a simple remove the lining, undo old latch, unclip and install new one - no more than 20 mins.
Appreciate 0