THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum BMW 230i M-Sport Build Tire Question

11-11-2020, 07:25 AM   #1
FortunateCookie
United_States
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic

BMW 230i M-Sport Build Tire Question

I’ve had an interest in a 2021 BMW 230i with the M-Sport package for a few months now and I’m finally going to be ordering one from the factory! I’ve spec’d it out to my liking but I have one main question remaining.

What tire set up should I choose? I have read everywhere that the all season run flats are not very great, so I want to order the car with the non run flat performance tires, but I have two issues:

1. Since I’m leasing, I don’t really want to sink a bunch of money into the vehicle to have winter tires and/or rims, but I do live in Michigan weather, so are the all season worth the trade offs?

2. If it’s definitely not worth it, what winter tires/good all seasons would be recommended? I can’t seem to find any that will fit the 18-inch wheels that come with the M-Sport package.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 09:06 AM   #2
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortunateCookie View Post
I’ve had an interest in a 2021 BMW 230i with the M-Sport package for a few months now and I’m finally going to be ordering one from the factory! I’ve spec’d it out to my liking but I have one main question remaining.

What tire set up should I choose? I have read everywhere that the all season run flats are not very great, so I want to order the car with the non run flat performance tires, but I have two issues:

1. Since I’m leasing, I don’t really want to sink a bunch of money into the vehicle to have winter tires and/or rims, but I do live in Michigan weather, so are the all season worth the trade offs?

2. If it’s definitely not worth it, what winter tires/good all seasons would be recommended? I can’t seem to find any that will fit the 18-inch wheels that come with the M-Sport package.
As a fellow (but now ex-) Michigander, may I share that I see some concerns for you to consider.

1) There are no all season tires that are capable in a Michigan winter. Been there; done that. See the folks on the news in winter in the ditches along I-75 and I-94 with SUVs on original factory all season tires, amazed that AWD didn't prevent that? Even if you get the car moving (rwd or Xdrive?), all season tires are sufficiently inferior for stopping/turning on snow/ice that you may as well get to know the local body shop manager ahead of time. I recommend http://www.automarkcollision.com/ in Farmington Hills. Again, don't be swayed by those who may claim all seasons do just fine for them. Lucky them just haven't needed to stop/turn unexpectedly yet. They are just focusing on getting moving.

2) Even if someone can mislead you into thinking all season tires are capable in winter, keep in mind OEM all season tires are not the same compound formulation as aftermarket, even for the same model tire. OEM's spec the compound to the tire manufacturers for maximum fuel economy to help the EPA rating. (I didn't share what I used to do/be in Michigan, but I have reason to know this.). That means harder compound, which does indeed help reduce rolling resistance, but also makes the tire noisier and poorer performing in the cold.

3) Michigan has significant "shoulder seasons". Late Fall and early Spring when the snow is not present, but the temps are not always above 45 degrees F, so the summer performance tires are not advisable for loss of traction with their hockey-puck hard rubber in the cold, and won't have warranty coverage when the compound starts to crack. Erhard BMW had me sign a waiver acknowledging loss of winter traction and warranty when my car arrived with the Michelin PSS tires as part of the Track Handling Package. During these times, it is also too soon for winter tires, as consistent dry pavement will deteriorate them sooner and they don't perform that well at all on the dry. My solution was to sell the wheel/tires that came on the car to a forum member, who was very happy in Florida to buy them. Considering the awful roads in Michigan, I downsized from the original 18" to 17" (never bent a rim that size among the potholes) and got the best possible Ultra High Performance All Season tires I could find at the time....Michelin Pilot Sport AS3......AND, a set of winter tires (although I soon got a cheap "winter rat" car and put the 2 Series away for subsequent winters to preserve it.). That covered all four seasons....3+1. The car handled excellently on the AS3s. Now in the Southwest, I am back on PS4S.

In your case, I would take whatever versions of all seasons BMW is offering that you prefer, try those for the three seasons to see if they are good enough, and be ready with a set of Blizzak WS90 or Michelin XIce xi3 on cheap rims from tirerack.com for the next three winters, or longer if you decide to keep the car or get a similar replacement. They can set you up with a local installer and may keep the off season set in storage for you so you can just do a "NASCAR" pit stop before/after winter.

If finances are a concern about the proper tires, I humbly suggest spending less on the car so you can be better prepared with the only part of the car that is ever supposed to touch the outside world. Better overall quality of life result is most likely. You don't send LeBron out on the court in bedroom slippers and just hope for the best outcome.

Good Luck! If you haven't ordered yet and this is your area, Farmington Hills BMW has a great service department and Jason is an outstanding Advisor there.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 09:21 AM   #3
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Agreed that you would be much better off with dedicated winter wheel/tire setup, but I'd get the summer wheel/tire set myself. If you go w/ the performance wheel/tires, you also get a speed-limiter delete (at least that used to be how it worked). And if you are thinking of buying winter tires anyway, might as well also get great handling the rest of the year.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 09:26 AM   #4
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Agreed that you would be much better off with dedicated winter wheel/tire setup, but I'd get the summer wheel/tire set myself. If you go w/ the performance wheel/tires, you also get a speed-limiter delete (at least that used to be how it worked). And if you are thinking of buying winter tires anyway, might as well also get great handling the rest of the year.
That can work beautifully and no doubt best for the Summer and some Spring/Fall, but what would you do for the long periods of dry cold Michigan gets before and after?

Unless he plans to track the car somewhere (Waterford track won't matter for these speeds), the speed limiter won't have any effect, in triple-digits regardless.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 09:47 AM   #5
FortunateCookie
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the response! I agree, despite what I have heard, I think my best bet is to stick it out on the all seasons and adjust come winter. I haven’t placed the order yet, but I don’t expect the car to arrive until late February early March, hopefully skipping the winter—but in Michigan you can never be sure.

A quick question for you, as I see you have the oyster white seats. Are those the Dakota leather? And if not, do you wish you had gotten that as an option? Also, do you have any issues with keeping the white seats clean?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 10:06 AM   #6
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the response! I agree, despite what I have heard, I think my best bet is to stick it out on the all seasons and adjust come winter. I haven’t placed the order yet, but I don’t expect the car to arrive until late February early March, hopefully skipping the winter—but in Michigan you can never be sure.

A quick question for you, as I see you have the oyster white seats. Are those the Dakota leather? And if not, do you wish you had gotten that as an option? Also, do you have any issues with keeping the white seats clean?
Yes, Dakota Oyster. They really are not at all white. Definitely beige/tan. I hadn't intended to get leather, as the SensaTec seems fine in other cars I've seen. But, the packages I chose mandated the leather. Six+ years later, it is fine. Still look new. No blue jeans in the car, however. Those are the most damaging. I do treat the seats with:

https://leatherworldtech.com/leather...ather-barrier/
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 10:14 AM   #7
FortunateCookie
United_States
Rep

They’re looking great! I’m thinking of skipping on the Dakota leather. I figure out of everything, it likely is not worth the $1,500 upgrade for myself.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 10:29 AM   #8
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
They’re looking great! I’m thinking of skipping on the Dakota leather. I figure out of everything, it likely is not worth the $1,500 upgrade for myself.
You just found your winter tire money, with wheels, with some change left over!

For example:

https://www.tirerack.com/snow/preferredpackages.jsp

(link seems oddly short, but worked to a specific tire/wheel combo when I tried)
Appreciate 0