THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Sold my M235i to Carvana

08-15-2019, 05:12 PM   #1
wichitagreg
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Cabriolet

Sold my M235i to Carvana

So I bought my 2016 M235i back in November after not finding the convertible Camaro I wanted.

When I bought it, it had 18,000 miles on it and just under a year left on the factory warranty. Today I sold it with 26,500 miles on it. Car is immaculate in every way and very nicely optioned. I paid $32k and change. Carmax offered me $25k. Carvana offered me $$28,288. Carmax drove the car and three appraisers spent a half hour looking it over. Carvana did their appraisal online with me just answering some questions and sending them a photo of the odometer.

So when Carvana came today to pick up the car, they checked the VIN against my clear title, looked at the odometer, started the car, and had me sign some papers. Gave me the check. No test drive, didn't see if the top worked, no fingers along the seams, nothing. Go Figure.

I'm happy at least. That car was fun to drive, but I worried constantly about the top weathering, deer in my lane, hail storms, and speeding tickets. Not to mention the (in my opinion) crooked BMW Dealership.

So I'm happy driving my 2013 F150 with over 100K miles. Tough enough to take the hail, deer guard on the front, and have had no need to go see the dealer for anything.

I also have a 2016 BMW R1200RT motorcycle, and 2014 Harley Davidson. So I have enough toys. They weather, they are vulnerable to deer, and for the HD at least I don't worry abut speeding.

Greg
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 06:54 PM   #2
243Racing
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

I helped write the algorithm that Carvana uses to determine how much to offer on used cars. Glad you had a good experience!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 07:30 PM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastieBombRacing View Post
I helped write the algorithm that Carvana uses to determine how much to offer on used cars. Glad you had a good experience!
I hoped you padded BMW’s exclusively.
Appreciate 1
243Racing1447.50
      08-15-2019, 07:32 PM   #4
243Racing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
I hoped you padded BMW’s exclusively.
It was back when they were trying to build up inventory - we padded everything I know it’s changed a bit since then.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 07:43 PM   #5
cmorris975
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mustang V6

Did you feel like you got a fair price from them? I'm about to trade my 2016 Mustang for a 2016 228i and the price they are offering for my very low mileage and in good shape Mustang is quite good. It's a base V6 with not much options and they are offering 18.25k. Vroom quoted me 16k. My old dealer where I bought the car? 14k. I didn't even bother with replying.

I'm very impressed with Carvana's customer service as I switch orders and changed things a lot. If they come through with the prices they quoted (and the 228i looks to be in good cosmetic shape like the pictures) I will be a very happy customer.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 07:52 PM   #6
243Racing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmorris975 View Post
Did you feel like you got a fair price from them? I'm about to trade my 2016 Mustang for a 2016 228i and the price they are offering for my very low mileage and in good shape Mustang is quite good. It's a base V6 with not much options and they are offering 18.25k. Vroom quoted me 16k. My old dealer where I bought the car? 14k. I didn't even bother with replying.

I'm very impressed with Carvana's customer service as I switch orders and changed things a lot. If they come through with the prices they quoted (and the 228i looks to be in good cosmetic shape like the pictures) I will be a very happy customer.
Make sure you take it to a BMW dealer for a free multipoint inspection.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 08:04 PM   #7
cmorris975
United_States
Rep

I wasn't aware of that. Will do and thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 09:01 PM   #8
wichitagreg
Private
Rep

Quote:

Yes, quite happy.
Appreciate 2
      08-15-2019, 09:33 PM   #9
paposalsa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wichitagreg View Post
Yes, quite happy.
I'm thinking on going that route to sell my 2015 228i MSport w/33K ....
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 10:23 PM   #10
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

If I were selling my car and needed to unload it quickly for a good price, I'd definitely look into Cavana. Right now they're offering quite high prices in order to get the word out and grow the brand. It won't last forever though because they'll eventually establish themselves and need to turn a profit. It's like FCP Euro and there lifetime warranty on things like motor oil. It's all about bullding the brand.

As a fellow Kansan I can respect the concern for hail; however, a close friend owns his own PDR franchise and has assured me that BMW metal is extremely resilient to most of the typical hail we see. The worst cars he says are Subaru and Mazda as their sheet metal is very thin and creases badly. It explains all the damage to the wife's Outback!

I know BMW dealers can be sometimes be sketchy but I rarely hear of anything good coming from Ford dealer experiences. LOL.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 10:57 PM   #11
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
As a fellow Kansan I can respect the concern for hail; however, a close friend owns his own PDR franchise and has assured me that BMW metal is extremely resilient to most of the typical hail we see. The worst cars he says are Subaru and Mazda as their sheet metal is very thin and creases badly. It explains all the damage to the wife's Outback!

I know BMW dealers can be sometimes be sketchy but I rarely hear of anything good coming from Ford dealer experiences. LOL.
No kidding. Subarus are reliable enough, but built like literal tin boxes. I've seen enough evidence of this after owning a 2016 WRX for 22k miles and also paying attention to crash reports involving Subarus, and man, they get ripped to shreds in some accidents (fatal ones too). I wouldn't own another, personally.

And ditto on Ford. Don't even get me started...
      08-16-2019, 07:17 AM   #12
NVHoo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i red convertible

Your dealer experience is similar to mine

Quote:
For any brand car I've owned I constantly get mail and phone calls from them saying how badly they need my car for their used car inventory and when I ask them for a straight sale-no trade quote they are always the lowest offer by far. I've gotten better offers (several $k) from another brand next door to my dealership. In one case the dealer buyer listed all sorts of things that were wrong with the car mechanically even though I had it in for its 10K service check a few days before and then I told him that if what he said was true, the things he listed were still under factory warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 07:25 AM   #13
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
OP, is there something about an F150 that makes it hail-proof?
And how much hail do you get around your way?
Enough to affect car choice, I guess.
Just curious.
That said, $4K difference over 8 months adds up to $500 a month, not bad for a car like that.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 08:05 AM   #14
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
I lived in TX for many years - owned BMWs while in the Houston and Austin/San Antonio area (last residence in Boerne). I never worried about hail damage (I kept them garaged), deer (high-beams and being extra-observant), and used a radar detector, although with speed limits of 75-80 mph in non-urban areas, speeding tickets were not much of a concern. The wife's 2011 128i convertible top didn't seem to mind the sun and heat while parked at her work location. Guess it all boils down to driving style, car care, and where you park/store your vehicles.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 09:04 AM   #15
wichitagreg
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphomeman View Post
Just curious.
That said, $4K difference over 8 months adds up to $500 a month, not bad for a car like that.
What fun is it to worry about your car? I'm not so wealthy that I can have a car like this and not worry about it.

Fiberglass hood and camper shell, so really only the top of the cab is exposed, and it seems very robust. It's not so much that the F150 is hail proof, more that it is 7 years old with 100k miles on it, it's not a pristine M235i.
We get hailstorms every year. Texas hill country near Kerrville.
I think I got good enjoyment out of the car, but it has no rhythm on a crooked road like a motorcycle does. It would just sit outside and age as I do not have a garage to keep it in.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 09:24 AM   #16
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
No kidding. Subarus are reliable enough, but built like literal tin boxes. I've seen enough evidence of this after owning a 2016 WRX for 22k miles and also paying attention to crash reports involving Subarus, and man, they get ripped to shreds in some accidents (fatal ones too). I wouldn't own another, personally.

And ditto on Ford. Don't even get me started...
Disappointed to hear this about Subarus. My son and his wife just purchased a new top of the line Subaru Ascent. It seems to be a really nice, solid vehicle for what they paid for it. I guess we need to pray they are never involved in an accident with it.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 10:38 AM   #17
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by p912guy View Post
Disappointed to hear this about Subarus. My son and his wife just purchased a new top of the line Subaru Ascent. It seems to be a really nice, solid vehicle for what they paid for it. I guess we need to pray they are never involved in an accident with it.
From what I've read, the more recent (past 5 years) Subarus have very good crash ratings. My friend PDR friend says the sheet metal is very thin which makes for a high potential for easy damage BUT he said all the crash bars and reinforcements under the skin further complicates his ability to pull certain dents. He thinks they are robust under the skin but an aluminum can on the outside.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 10:47 AM   #18
2011 135i MSport Conv
Rep
Drives: 2011 M Sport Conv Lemans Blue

Dinan Mid-Pipe for 2020 M240i Convertible

Dinan says they have not test fit their resonator delete mid-pipe for the 2020 M240i in the new Convertible.

Does anyone have experience with the deletion of the resonator and a new straight mid-pipe like Dinan supplies?

Thank you for your replies.

Best, Mike
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 11:28 AM   #19
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphomeman View Post
Just curious.
We do get a decent amount of hail but rarely is it damaging plus you have to be in the wrong place at the wrong time for the golf ball/baseball sized hail as the hail "cell" is typically very small and typically right on the front end of a major thunderstorm. People who don't live in the central Midwest have no real idea how quickly a major thunderstorm can form and present you with 60-80mph gusting/swirling winds (literally still to 60mph in one minute), tons of lightning, and of course tornadoes. The big, wide-open spaces of Kansas and Oklahoma with colliding fronts from the Rocky's and hot/humid air out of the Gulf are responsible for our chaotic weather. I often wonder WTF I still live here.

With that said, I feel the biggest risk to owning a motorized vehicle is deer. That is a very real and dangerous issue. Lots of people die in KS, MO, and OK from hitting deer and the animals coming through the windshields. I sure as hell wouldn't ever ride a motorcycle at dusk or the dark in more rural areas. Hell, I live in the suburbs of Kansas City and have packs of deer walking through my neighborhood all the time.
      08-16-2019, 11:51 AM   #20
albertw
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wichitagreg View Post
I think I got good enjoyment out of the car, but it has no rhythm on a crooked road like a motorcycle does.
For me as well, the dynamics of a motorcycle are more satisfying. However, one of the great pleasures of life is adding some throttle past the apex and stepping out the rear a foot or so. Many years ago I loved doing that on the track, but I think it is crazy to do it on the street on a motorcycle. I'm comfortable doing that in a car on the street (occasionally, when conditions are perfect). That's the main reason I own this car instead of an Accord. I think you are going to miss it.
      08-16-2019, 12:23 PM   #21
cmorris975
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
If I were selling my car and needed to unload it quickly for a good price, I'd definitely look into Cavana. Right now they're offering quite high prices in order to get the word out and grow the brand. It won't last forever though because they'll eventually establish themselves and need to turn a profit. It's like FCP Euro and there lifetime warranty on things like motor oil. It's all about bullding the brand.

I very much agree. As I do need to unload the Mustang quickly before I have to drive back to Cleveland, I do appreciate the fast solution Carvana provides. I suspected that Carvana is trying to get the word out and that might be the reason for good offer on my current car. Good for me and I will leave them a positive review if everything goes smoothly.

I also agree on the Ford dealers. I am a fan of Ford as a low-cost option - really like some of their cars and trucks. The S550 V6 gets a lot of crap for not being the V8 but for someone like me who never has had a fast car it is quite quick. But the dealers... Ugh.

Plus, all the Fords that my family has owned have had rust issues. It was fine when we lived in California but now that we are out in Ohio... They develop rust problems pretty quick. My mom's 2011 Explorer wheel wells are shot through with rust and I can already see it happening on the 2016 Mustang's door hinges. Maybe I am just not used to living in the midwest and that's not the abnormal, but after seeing what happened to my mom's ar I am wary.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 02:45 PM   #22
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
Originally Posted by p912guy View Post
I totally disagree with the notion that Subarus do not fare well in accidents.
I was in a fairly severe accident in early 2013 in our 2012 Subaru Forester and the car was totaled with major front end damage. My grandson and I walked away without a scratch. If I were to get another SUV and my primary concern was safety, I'd pick a Subaru every time.